Nutsplanet Viking Shieldmaiden

Lifelike, that's the word! :thumbsup:

Too bad you had to redo the eyes once more, but it looks like you didn't loose the touch. :clap:

I only use acrylics myself to paint figures, there's a lot of potential in them once you learn the right techniques

Ciao

Edited by giemme

The red was done with a brush, basically water tinted with paint, lots and lots of layers, I might even go over everything with a slightly darker flesh, we shall see, the Vallejo doesn't like the first few washes and comes off with the next coat, I kept thinking it was fibres from the kitchen towel until I realised it was the last layer, had a broad soft brush handy to get rid of the bits in a hurry

• Like 1

Looking good Mick :)

I'm always a little envious of people who can achieve such results with acrylics. I now only use acrylics for undercoating as I just didn't get on with them as my main medium so I'm in awe of those who have invested the time and effort to master them, as you clearly have :)

Thank you, I'm no master by any means, in the good old days it was Humbrol enamel, they're easy to blend, then came Tamiya acrylics, little different but really they're meant for airbrushing and being spirit based don't blend as well, then there's Vallejo which you can thin with water, it's a learning curve at the mo

... then came Tamiya acrylics, little different but really they're meant for airbrushing and being spirit based don't blend as well, then there's Vallejo which you can thin with water...

Agreed 100%. I use Lifecolor, but just like Vallejo they are vinyl based acrylics, so you can thin them with water.

Ciao

Ok, here we goes, and please let me know when you get fed up with the pictures :banghead:

I lightened around the eyes so she's not so starey in a Goth kind of way, also lightened around the mouth then re did the highlights, toned them down with thinned matt flesh over the top, looking at many many MANY pictures of Katheryn Winnick she has got a tanned flesh tone with more of a pink/red tint but to be honest I'm pretty much happy with what I've got.

IMG_0197_zpsuw3jltxy.jpg

IMG_0198_zpsbblcqvvf.jpg

Today we also start on the clothing.

Regards.

Mick.

• Like 2

Stunning so far, indeed coming to life would be the very description for this. A great how-to as well,

Sean

Well, apologies time.

I had intended to add a few more WIP pictures, but everything went apace, I managed a couple of hours yesterday and another couple today with the aid of serious medication, so knuckled down and here are the results.

She is finished.

IMG_0218_zpsojjjyzao.jpg

IMG_0219_zps0xipqhft.jpg

IMG_0220_zpsoy1sm8el.jpg

IMG_0221_zpsx3qqufvw.jpg

I forgot to add a wash to the front of the shield, I'll correct that tomorrow.

If anyone wishes I'll also add the processes involved in simulating the leather for those of you that use Vallejo, it'll work with any paints as long as you match the colours, I adhered to the included instructions and was very happy with the results, the wood and leather set lets you recreate light, dark and red leather effects using base colours, two highlight colours and washes.

A few detail shots.

IMG_0229_zpsrphp8fhm.jpg

IMG_0230_zpsfju3s2by.jpg

IMG_0231_zpsnsgf31nv.jpg

IMG_0232_zpswgdcqqcd.jpg

IMG_0233_zpsz3dnuets.jpg

I hope you have all enjoyed this WIP and some of what I've done has been of use to others.

Many many many thanks for all you kind words and comments, believe me that are very much appreciated.

Kind Regards.

Mick.

Well now she's done I wonder what I can do next.

Oh yeah. :viking:

IMAG3741_zpsneylg5bm.jpg

WIP starts tomorrow. :mental:

• Like 12

:wow::clap: :clap:

Stunning! And even if I don't use Vallejo (but I use Lifecolor for figure painting, so much alike), I'd be interestwd in the leather painting process

Ciao

Wouldn't fancy coming home late from the Pub to be greeted on the doorstep by her!

Having said that she reminds me of a Czech friend of mine actually who is lovely.

Hi Giemme.

The Vallejo wood and paint set has 8 colours,

Dark Sand 70.847

Japanese Uniform 70.923

Orange Brown 70.981

Flat Earth 70.983

Chocolate Brown 70.872

Woodgrain 70.828

Smoke 70.939

Black 70.950.

you can apply over grey primer, Vallejo advises black primer first then grey on top of that, almost like pre shading.

Dark leather is a base coat of chocolate,

First highlight is flat earth applied in a random manner without totally obscuring the base.

Second highlight is dark sand, mainly along the edges but you can add lines and stipple it on to add texture.

Colours unified with a wash of smoke 50/50 with water

Black can be added to simulate damage and cuts, then a second wash of black, again 50/50 with water.

Red leather is a base of 30% orange brown, 70% Woodgrain.

First highlight is Orange Brown, again not totally covering the base, but adding it in layer to add depth.

Second highlight Dark Sand, again along the edges.

First was is Woodgrain, 50/50 with water

Black lines added for cuts etc.

second wash black 50/50

Light leather, base colour 50/50 Dark Sand and Japanese Uniform.

First highlight Dark Sand

Add shadown with a wash of flat earth

second wash of smoke, then a wash of black, then last highlight with Dark Sand

These colours can be transposed to any manufacturer.

Hope that helps, and all done with 8 colours lol

Regards.

Mick.

• Like 2

That's lovely! If I could make one suggestion, I'd make the handgrip on the sword hilt more obviously contrasting - some sweat-stained chamois leather colour, say?

Thanks Mick for the painting tips! :thumbsup: That's really interesting, and I'd like to test it on my next figure (which is going to be a viking, by the way :winkgrin: )

Ciao

• Like 1

Fantastic, a simply wonderful result, I admire your skills with figures, the paint and finish is to notch.

Would have liked to see a bit more of the process, what you did show was very informative,

Sean

Thank you all for your comments.

What part of the process did you want to see more of Sean, I'm still learning about doing WIP posts so for future work any advice would be brilliant.

Francie I Googled Lagertha from Vikings then printed off pictures of her costume with details like the belt, leather trimming, braids etc enlarged, if you work from a photograph you can't be wrong

• Like 1