Nutsplanet Viking Shieldmaiden

Well I've gone and done it, I bought the shieldmaiden,

IMG_0021_zpsxqscqcex.jpg

Along with the Berserk and a couple of other figures. I think this is the lesser of the evils as it's only got 8 parts to the kit, but the sculpt is incredible, I hope my paint job does it justice.

As always, anyhoo, opening the box you first come across the shield,

IMG_0022_zpsjbh1qwvb.jpg

it's a biggie,

IMG_0035_zpsu5pibxjd.jpg

IMG_0033_zpsssr6k5qq.jpg

IMG_0034_zpsufeigow1.jpg

then under the foam are the main torso,and arms,

IMG_0023_zpsg4b9edyb.jpg

under the next layer of foam are the hands, one holding the axe and the other holding the shield handle, sword hilt, shield strap.

IMG_0024_zpsjjbmmvpx.jpg

The torso it'self is lovely, the detail is amazing

IMG_0036_zpsl7gkdixq.jpg

IMG_0026_zps1tr6vf2k.jpg

IMG_0027_zpsoybatmfa.jpg

IMG_0028_zpsaqicvlnb.jpg

IMG_0029_zpsfk5lnh9g.jpg

and almost a dead ringer for Katheryn Winnick who plays Lagertha Lothbrok in the tv series Vikings, draw your own comparisons.

11c593d7197b0d9ea821e5bd1f4b182d_zpsg7d5

The seams are minimal but some are quite awkward to get to, especially between the folds of the leather sleeves,

IMG_0031_zpsnjuuzw1r.jpg

IMG_0032_zps7oupzkmo.jpg

I had to use a mix of scraping with a number 10 scalpel blade, sanding sticks, sanding needles and my old faithful of a half round needle file.

The results of this afternoons labours are the torso cleaned up, removing the casting blocks are no real hardship, the resin is quite soft, only a few strokes of the razor saw removed them, cleaning up for me involves a coarse sanding stick, then a finer one (thank you Ultimate Products, they're excellent), scraping with a No.10 then 1200 wet and dry, I then drilled out the locating blocks and fitted brass pins to reinforce, the fit is such that the arms and hands can be painted separately then assembled, the joints are incredible.

IMG_0040_zpsc4yyzw3q.jpg

Edited by Bigmick
  • Like 11

That looks exquisite. Not usually a fan of busts or figurines, but this I will watch as you build and paint her.

I'm also looking forward to this WIP, that looks a fantastic sculpt. I've never seen The Vikings, although that looks like the inspiration for this bust. However the first thing I thought of when I saw the box picture was Skyrim.

Now, where's my Skyrim disc... must have another playthrough.

Finnthedude.

A bit more done today, it might not look like it but there's progress, honest.

I warmed the shield strap with boiling water then stretched it a bit.

Before.

IMG_0041_zpsttops2oh.jpg

After.

IMG_0042_zpsfxkxbdpn.jpg

A dry fit of all parts, pinned with brass rod, the seams are night on invisible when the parts are joined.

IMG_0043_zps1rkffvfu.jpg

Only thing I did find was a couple of "blebs" in the hair, air bubbles or small bits of resin from the last cast, small bit of scraping sorted it, might add a bit of Mr Surfacer.

IMG_0044_zpsi1mrsfbt.jpg

After

IMG_0045_zpsccaj9ywc.jpg

Everything trimmed sanded and primed with Mr Surfacer 1200.

IMG_0046_zpssrtwcl7y.jpg

Found a few more blips, hair in the corner of the mouth, bit of flash in the hair line and a sculpt mark on the left eyelid, Mr Pernickity :D

IMG_0048_zpsjjcvtkys.jpg

Regards.

Mick.

• Like 6

Made a start on the shield, summing up bravery to start the face tomorrow.

I'm using the Vallejo leather and wood paint set, there's a "how to" guide inside so I'm using that.

Initial paint is the base colours, I used some Vallejo paint extender and Windsor and Newton flow enhancer to level the paint and lose brush strokes, don't know why as lines resembling brush strokes when doing wood are the effect you're looking for.

Well this is my table, when people aren't sat round it eating.

IMG_0115_zpsg0vrsulw.jpg

Initial coats of paint, Vallejo Japanese Uniform and Flat Earth.

IMG_0118_zpsrdfeh7g2.jpg

The boards were then given a wash, water and paint at a 50/50 mix, flat earth 983 for the lighter smoke 939 and woodgrain 828 for the darker, when this had dried I gave it another coat.

IMG_0121_zpsbqwku56z.jpg

I'll do a bit more later, adding woodgrain and an overall wash to consolidate everything, then use the leather colours to do the shield rim and work out what metallic paints to do the shield boss.

Edited by Bigmick
  • Like 6

My reasoning is that different woods were used, as swords and spears have been unearthed showing signs of repair it stands to reason that a precious item like a shield would have been repaired over time, I might be completely wrong, the paint guide that comes with the paints uses different paints to show different wood effects, looked cool so borrowed the idea

Edited by Bigmick
  • Like 2

Absolutely right Mitch, stretched wet hide over the boards so when it dried it shrank, added some torsional strength and gave a nice canvas for some cool knot work paint, I'll go with the easy option as the film prop crew did and paint the boards

A few more step by steps, the boards had the wood grain added with a fine brush, then a wash of smoke, then a final wash of black heavily thinned with water, the boss and metal fittings were done with gunmetal grey.

IMG_0122_zpsinfjsj49.jpg

IMG_0123_zpszp6juszu.jpg

The shield rim I decided to do in a shade close to rawhide, I'm happy with it.

IMG_0124_zpsrh2isw0n.jpg

IMG_0132_zpszgx9ci53.jpg

Finally the metal parts had a wash with thinned black then once that was dry a wash with Humbrol rust enamel.

IMG_0130_zpsvnmzeuka.jpg

IMG_0132_zpszgx9ci53.jpg

IMG_0133_zpsyplnsqda.jpg

I also made a start on the face, eyes first as normal, whites painted with white and grey (no ones whites are white), then made a charcoal grey to shape and locate the iris, this then has lines and dots of two shades of grey/blue, then some random dots of brown around the pupil, (althought the actress Katheryn Winnick has the most gorgeous eyes I prefer the colours of singer Hannah Spearritt, she of S Club 7 fame) then the pupil which again wasn't pure black but a very dark grey, akin to NATO black, then dots of white for highlights and a wash of heavily thinned red.

I was happy until I added a drop of Tamiya X22 clear, which seemed to dissolve the paint and fog it, which is what I said, or something close.

IMG_0126_zpsntjqrlfu.jpg

IMG_0128_zpspspnwhal.jpg

Finally I added the first flesh tone layer, all I managed today.

More to come.

Regards.

Mick.

• Like 10

My reasoning is that different woods were used, as swords and spears have been unearthed showing signs of repair it stands to reason that a precious item like a shield would have been repaired over time, I might be completely wrong, the paint guide that comes with the paints uses different paints to show different wood effects, looked cool so borrowed the idea

Evidence suggests shields were pretty ephemeral (except for the boss), and were expected to be replaced regularly, at least by people who fought frequently. The ordinary Saxon common ceorl probably cobbled his back together, though.

• Like 1

Excellent, thank you Mitch, I've looked at shield designs and construction and know it's all "Hollywood", the real shields as you say would have been covered in leather or hide as the planks aren't joined, I love the concept of cheese glue, as for decoration I might yet do a pinwheel design in some natural pigment colours like ochres and black but as it's a true fiction character I might do the bright turquoise, I think the knot work would give me a migraine.

Regards.

Mick.

• Like 1