Italeri 1/32 F-104S ASA in low vis grey

Hello guys and gals,

Still waiting on the post for a couple of items but have started opening up and refining the rivets and panel lines. The scheme will be in one of the last ever Italian Starfighter units in low vis grey. I love the idea of this old bird sporting a modern washed out camo scheme.

Planned mods will be:

1. Eduard Late Exhaust.

2. Eduard Late Wheels.

3. CMK F-104S Cockpit

Not many pics yet, but here is one to hold over till more stuff arrives!

17507754375_1e94baaa30_b.jpgimage by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr}

Thanks

Ryan

• Like 1

OK some aftermarket parts have arrived at my door step!

Here is a shot of the main components of the CMK cockpit...im a little underwhelmed. :( While the casting is crisp and the quality is top notch, i'm a bit put off with the Eduard pre-painted PE parts. The PE parts are well done, but there is a blurry area on one of the pieces and some paint has already flaked off on another. I wouldn't have bought it had I known it hase these pre painted parts inside....unfortunately every pic of this set online shows the packaging with the PE parts shown updside down and you cant tell that they are pre painted. Might just end up using the seat and adding a little scratch to the kit cockpit myself. Sorry to start of with a negative, but those who are buying this set might appreciate this info. On a plus side it was only $25 USD, but you get what you pay for, the Aries set is nearly twice that price, but it looks better made and has NO pre painted PE. OK stepping of the soap box.

17348357843_05162e477d_b.jpgimage by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr}

The Eduard exhaust can set is a different story, just fantastic resin artwork! In this shot the dark grey parts are the Eduard morsels that will replace the kit exhaust. You may notice the difference in length of the new can, i'm betting it must sit farther in on the kit afterburner chamber.

17781173740_264afe6af5_b.jpgimage by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr}

Speaking of the afterburner chamber....here it is right out of the box with the other major engine components. I love the casting of the myriad of cooling slots well represented in the chamber itself.

17780931398_4e8cb8c5be_b.jpgimage by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr}

Ok now where to start!

Ryan

Edited by The 3rd Placer
  • Like 3

About the different exhaust lengths, I wonder if the Italeri part in the picture is the one for the F-104G with its shorter exahust ? The difference between this and the Eduard part looks pretty much like the difference existing between the G and S exhaust

Your probably right Giorgio, thanks for commenting.

More excellent news as the decals have just arrived from Pronto Model. Pronto gave me great service and communication, I recommend them. Unit markings as well as the low vis stencils were purchased, i'll prob use the kit roundels as the smaller ones (as shown on the profile artwork) are included in the Italeri kit.

17790910769_04b5cbedf8_b.jpgimage by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr}

Thinking of doing the ASA-M version with the Archer on the tail. Seems I need to change my post title to reflect the F-104S ASA-M. :)

17356665573_7b01a425bb_b.jpgimage by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr}

Thanks

Ryan

Edited by The 3rd Placer
  • Like 2

Ryan, you may find this link of interest as it describes the differences for every Italian F-104 variant

http://theaviationist.com/special-reports/italian-f-104-versions-explained/

I would also check the roundels, I know that the older style roundels are too large on the Italeri kit, can't remember if the smaller ones are correct or not

• Like 1

Yes thanks, I did find that site Giorgio.

I'm guessing really that the small roundels in the kit are the correct size, I'll confirm ASAP.

That site has scans of the pit layout, very useful. Still torn on what to do with the pit. I'm thinking of using the kit ip panel married to the resin tub. Both will need corrections to bring it to the ASA M version though.

Ryan

Hello,

Managed to get the engine exhaust painted and washed today. Tamiya Olive Green for the color and a Mig Dark Wash.....pretty pleased on the finish and wash effect, although the olive is a bit dark.

17951663579_3a16e7f06c_c.jpgimage by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr}

Also got the burner painted up too. Not sure about the finish and may strip it, I was trying an experiment to get a sooty burnt appearance.

18137862745_b6d9d59d03_c.jpgimage by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr}

Here is a close up...really looks brown in this shot but the lighting is off a little.

18137850255_45a4905ebc_c.jpgimage by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr}

As I said above i'm thinking of stripping it and going another route, but here is how I did it incase others like the effect. The base coat is Testors Metalizer Burnt Iron with a slurry of thinner, mig pigments and mig dark washed applied over it with a brush.

17950305140_84711c7bb7_b.jpgimage by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr}

I'd be interested in some comments on if I should strip the part. My main concern is that its very dark in the chamber and I'd like to make this part a little brighter so it will pop out more.

Thanks for reading,

Ryan

Edited by The 3rd Placer
  • Like 1

Perhaps burnish a little graphite over the high points so it's slightly reflective?

Thanks for the input Jessica, after a nights rest I've decided to strip it and try a new approach. All is well, if I don't strip something in a build I'm doing something wrong! :)

Ryan