Heinkel 111 in 1/72, what's the best one?

Bristolhibby

Currently the Hasegawa series (which was also brought out by Revell as the H-6 version) are the best.

The new Airfix is due in July and looks very promising either

Is there any particular version you would like?

thanks

Mike

Not sure Mike.

I think somthing that fought in the Battle of Britain.

I forgot Airfix have a new tool out soon. Might hang on and see what that is like.

It's not like I've not got enough in my stash!

J

The forthcoming Airfix will be the He 111P-2 version which was used during the BoB. Hasegawa also have produced a 'P', the Revell version of the Hasegawa kit is the H-6 (iirc). Hasegawa's kits do not include any crew, the recent Airfix Do 17 included crew so that is possible that the He 111 will as well.

Not sure Mike.

I think somthing that fought in the Battle of Britain.

I forgot Airfix have a new tool out soon. Might hang on and see what that is like.

It's not like I've not got enough in my stash!

J

Ok, Chuck beat me to it! The Revell boxing of the Hasegawa kit is indeed the H-6, I know as I've built both boxings of it! It's a very nice kit, although some think the panel lines are too deep but it's not a BoB HeIII.

You need an early H model or a P model. I don't know of any recent early H model but again it's been mentioned that both Hasegawa do a P and Airfix are due to release a P. Based on my experience I bet the Hasegawa P will build up much easier and better than the forthcoming Airfix kit (I've had plenty of build issues with recent Airfix kits, including a horrid fitting Do17) but I bet the Airfix kit will be almost half the price! If you can find the Hasegawa HeIIIP for a good price then I would say get it, you'll enjoy the build!

thanks

Mike

But Revell's boxing is not of the BoB period, and neither is Italeri's. Nor were the kits of Matchbox, old Airfix and Frog. The choice remains between the excellent, if over-inscribed and pricey, Hasegawa or the forthcoming Airfix, which looks good so far but let's see. If you did find an appropriate Hasegawa, chances are you'd still need a set of transfers for the period.

But Revell's boxing is not of the BoB period, and neither is Italeri's. Nor were the kits of Matchbox, old Airfix and Frog. The choice remains between the excellent, if over-inscribed and pricey, Hasegawa or the forthcoming Airfix, which looks good so far but let's see. If you did find an appropriate Hasegawa, chances are you'd still need a set of transfers for the period.

Apparently TS isn't sure he even wants a BoB boxing. Personally I expect the Airfix kit to be very good indeed but it'll be some years before I get one because I'm not hung up on BoB or not and the Revell/Hasegawa is pretty damn good already. And since you can get it on fleebay for a little over a tenner it's still a serious option. Airfix will likely be 25 quid?

Hasegawa released both the P and the H-2, both of which are BofB era. I have the latter which has BofB markings and I believe the P has the temporary black undersurfaces of a "Blitz" bomber.

It does, for I've built it.

what exactly is the difference between a p and h

Different engines.

You can also get Eduard masks for the Revell/Hasegawa kits, a great boon if you pick one of those. I used them on the Revell H-6, which I brush painted, and they worked brilliantly.

I have a soft spot for the old Italeri He-111, itself also re-boxed by Revell in the past. It has raised lines and less interior detail, but I like it's finesse compared to the coarse panel detail of the Hasegawa/Revell kit.

Cheers,

Bill.

• Like 1

I thought that the Matchbox He111 was a BOB era kit as the box art denotes it over London's east end!

And what is the difference between the engines then on H & P versions, is it noticable?

Rob

H vs P - the intakes are on the opposite sides of the engine. There may be more subtle differences but that's the significant feature.

The Italeri kit came with torpedoes.

The Matchbox kit has the broad-blade propellers and the armoured-glass front to the gondola that identifies it as the H-6 variant.

The Hasegawa P kit was also released with the distinctive pre-war camouflage (also seen on Romanian H-3s) that is neither the classic pre-1938 61/62/63 scheme nor the wartime 70/71. I don't think they got the pattern quite right.

And what is the difference between the engines then on H & P versions, is it noticable?

The most obvious difference is that the air intake is on the left of each engine for the P, on the right for the H.

Cheers,

Bill.