Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire Mk XVIe. Finished 4 April.

Hiya Kent

Cheers mate appreciate it. I don't know how Tamiya managed to miss the cap as it sticks out like a sore thumb on all the photos I've seen, thankfully though its an easy thing to replicate.

Cheers

Iain

• Like 1

Just catching up with this again (I've been spending lots of time building kits of tanks!).

Great work on the engine Iain. Your detailing and painting is first rate as ever!

I'm hoping to get back onto my two Spitfires this weekend.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Hiya Kent

Cheers mate appreciate it. I don't know how Tamiya managed to miss the cap as it sticks out like a sore thumb on all the photos I've seen, thankfully though its an easy thing to replicate.

Cheers

Iain

Yes, I suppose we should be grateful for small mercies! Fortunately, your timely post means I can still rectify this on my build.

Regards,

• Like 1

Well spotted Iain, I hadn't noticed the missing filler cap either, I must remember that when I resume work on my Mk IX.

The wiring on the bulkhead makes a big difference to the overall look.

Looking forward to more

John

• Like 1

HI everyone

Just a quick update for you. I've been plodding along with the motor and I'm getting to the stage where I need to decide what extra detail to add. I know there is more pipework that could be included but I'm not too sure about correct placement? I need to do some more digging to at least get it semi correct? Anyway here is where I am as of 21:00 tonight...

P1020905_zpsaqudxbgy.jpg

P1020904_zpsxzudxlag.jpg

P1020906_zpsuhhsvush.jpg

I had a real nightmare trying to get pipes X7 and X8 to line up with the oil pump X17 in fact I nearly had a little hissy fit until I disregarded the instructions, took the pipes apart and added them separately and lo and behold they fitted like a glove (I did however had to repaint them both as the Brass paint came off :doh: )

Cheers

Iain

• Like 4

Hi everyone

After the high standard that Kent (Kahunaminor) has set on detailing the Merlin I've decided that I need to carry out a little more research into the plumbing typically found on the Merlin 66. During my scouring of the internet I found a video on YouTube of a Mk XVI under going an engine run and its owned by the renowned collector Kermit Weeks, a chap who is known for keeping his airworthy aircraft in as near stock condition as possible...

I learned from my son that its possible to obtain screen shots from you tube so with this in mind I've managed to get some rather good close ups of the plumbing on both the port and starboard sides of the motor. I've ordered some varying sizes of fuse wire and the Aerodetails CD both off Ebay. So I'm going to make a start on the cockpit whilst I'm waiting for the bits and pieces to arrive.

Laters

Iain

• Like 3

Nice find Iain,

I look forward to seeing the results. BTW thank you for the praise, it is appreciated. You will eventually see that my effort is not 100% accurate, I did use some artistic licence, but only when absolutely necessary!

Regards,

• Like 1

Nice find Iain,

I look forward to seeing the results. BTW thank you for the praise, it is appreciated. You will eventually see that my effort is not 100% accurate, I did use some artistic licence, but only when absolutely necessary!

Regards,

Hey Kent

Praise where praise is due mate your doing a cracking job on your Spit :goodjob:

With regards to the artistic licence applied to the engine's detailing I bet you could take two of the same mark of airplane and due to different servicing and repairs find that they both have some variations to their basic configurations, so when using artistic licence you are always gonna be on to a winner :thumbsup: .

Cheers

Iain

• Like 1

Good morning Iain. Hope you are well. Your detailing around the engine continues to amaze me. I have bookmarked this and Kent's thread for future reference. Both of you are doing fantastic work on these engines. :worthy::worthy:

Thank you for posting the video too - I will have a watch later.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

Hi everyone

With the help of the Spitfire maestro himself Edgar Brooks (thanks for your help mate its been invaluable) I've managed to add a little more detail to my Spitfire.

On the port cockpit wall I've added the carburettor air-intake control plus a little cabling.

P1020910_zpshwkzrwrr.jpg

On the starboard cockpit wall I've added the oxygen master cock (needs valve adding) and the gyro gun sight selector switch plus a little cabling.

P1020911_zpswb4svd5r.jpg

To the bulk head I've started on the emergency wing bomb release (needs its handle) and to the cockpit floor I've made a start on the rear fuselage fuel tank cock (needs valve) and its plumbing.

P1020914_zpsq1vfnsi7.jpg

P1020912_zpslzf4avnn.jpg

I'm not going to go mad trying to add every cable in the cockpit because when its all together most of the detail will be lost, but I will add the control cables from the throttle grip to the gyro gun sight.

My next steps will be to carry out some detail painting and start to add the throttle, undercarriage lever and seat plus harness.

Cheers

Iain

• Like 4

Morning Stix

Thanks mate. I've an hour this morning adding a few more cables (control cables to the morse key and another pipe coming from the oxygen valve as before it didn't go anywhere) and I've done a little detail painting, mainly brass for the pipe work and copper for the valves. It's gonna take me a few hours to get it where I want but hopefully I'll have some better progress to show later.

Cheers

Iain

• Like 1

Hi everyone

I've started my first bout of detail painting on the cockpit sidewalls. Its funny looking at the photos they don't look that good (very bright), however in the flesh they do look better. Since yesterday I've added a little more fuse wire to the oxygen regulator as before it didn't go anywhere and I added control cables to the morse switch key. I've still to tone everything down with an acrylic wash and I've yet to make a start on the other cockpit bits n pieces (undercarriage lever, throttle quadrant and emergency undercarriage lever), anyway here is the fruits of todays labour....

Starboard side

P1020919_zpst6wi4wf1.jpg

P1020917_zpsx0nvlqbf.jpg

Port side (not much done)

P1020921_zpsiuwnnqvq.jpg

Please any observations are more than welcome

Cheers

Iain

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone, long time no see

I have been doing a little here and there on my Spitfire, I started a new job last week so bench time has been limited. I've managed to (almost) complete the ip and tbh I think its turned out ok. It still needs sealing and a little weathering....

P1020925_zpsu9vennqj.jpg

And that ladies and gents is that!

Iain

• Like 5

Good evening Iain,

Hope you're keeping well.

Apologies but I managed to miss a couple of posts! With reference to your post on 11th June - sometimes the camera can do unfair things to the models we build but, in your case, I wouldn't worry! Your attention to detail and skilled modelling abilities shine through. The additional stuff you're adding is going to make this a real special build.

Keep up the good work!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Good evening Iain,

Hope you're keeping well.

Apologies but I managed to miss a couple of posts! With reference to your post on 11th June - sometimes the camera can do unfair things to the models we build but, in your case, I wouldn't worry! Your attention to detail and skilled modelling abilities shine through. The additional stuff you're adding is going to make this a real special build.

Keep up the good work!

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix

Thanks for the very kind words mate. I've decided with this build to go all out in so far as detailing the model, which I might add is a total u turn from when I first started, but I've thoughly enjoyed it, it's gonna be a long old slog though

Looking at the picture of the ip it looks like the instrument faces aren't centred but I think that's due to the camera not being totally square to the part (I hope that's the case coz it took me the best part of 3 hours to get the little devils to sit right )

Cheers mate

Iain

• Like 2

It looks good Iain,

The camera is very unforgiving and we are all a bit harder on our own builds. Enjoyment is the goal so well done in finding it. I build to my own level and standard so sometimes I find fault in my work that others do not see. Keep up the good work.

Regards,

• Like 1

Great cockpit painting Iain especially the plumbing. I see you have painted the chain guard panels on the port sidewall black, I know that several restored warbirds have them in this colour but I have also seen period photos were they appear to be the same colour as the rest of the sidewalls. Just a thought.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Great cockpit painting Iain especially the plumbing. I see you have painted the chain guard panels on the port sidewall black, I know that several restored warbirds have them in this colour but I have also seen period photos were they appear to be the same colour as the rest of the sidewalls. Just a thought.

Cheers

John

Hi john

Hmmmm the chain guard panels' colour is a conundrum, I've also seen them painted interior green, but the reference I have was kindley given to me by Edgar Brooks and it's taken directly from the MK XVI pilots notes and it appears to show them as black, or at least a very dark colour when compared to the surrounding structure. At least it will give a little colour variation if nothing else.

Cheers mate

Iain

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone

Just a quick update for you. I'm still plodding on with my Spitfire but its taking much, much longer than anticipated as I've started a new job and I don't get much bench time. My plan is to try and get the cockpit finished tomorrow (day off), we will see. BTW sorry for the poor photos it actually looks much better in real life (honest)..

P1020945_zpsao7zbzsd.jpg

P1020948_zpsuinmer0x.jpg

P1020946_zpscappqqrp.jpg

Cor those really are rubbish pictures!.

On my still to do list is:

Finish the plumbing for the fuel lines on the port wall.

Add the bomb release handle.

Finish the U/C lever and add the plumbing.

Make and add the O2 hose and attach it to the seatbelt.

Make the Sutton harness.

Add the MK 2 gyro gun sight plus its cabling.

Make the control stick.

Finish the rudder pedals

So I still have lots to keep me occupied.

Cheers

Iain

• Like 4

Is that all? Just been looking over the cockpit pictures again and I'm more impressed than before. Do all the valves and connectors come on the sidewalls ( I've only got a Mk IX and there's quite a difference ) or are you using some AM products?

Hope you're enjoying the new job.

John

• Like 1