Mosquito Questions

Mark Proulx

Given that we have new Mosquitos arriving soon in 1/32nd, I thought this a good time to start posing some questions about the aircraft. Given the valuable information shared here (Spitfire, for example), perhaps the same holds true for the Mosquito. So...

1) At what s/n or production block were the PR windows deleted from the fuselage bottom of the B IV?

2) Same question for the reinforcing strake on the right side of the fuselage aft of the wing. Early aircraft seem not to have this feature. Was at retrofitted to earlier versions after it became standard? When was it first fitted?

3) When was the trailing aerial tube deleted? I do see it fitted to early B Mk IV and FB Mk VI.

I am sure as time goes by, more questions will come up...

In the meantime, thanks for any replies.

Mark Proulx

Mark, thank you for starting this one.

Another question to add in, if I may, are the wing strengthening strips. When did these start? They look to be missing from the Tamiya kit - no big deal, fixed with some plastic card, but it would be nice to know when these were introduced onto the plane.

PR

Mark, thank you for starting this one.

Another question to add in, if I may, are the wing strengthening strips. When did these start? They look to be missing from the Tamiya kit - no big deal, fixed with some plastic card, but it would be nice to know when these were introduced onto the plane.

PR

If you are talking about the wing upper surface they are not strengthening strips, they were sealing strips over the leading edge to wing joints. The rear ones were for the also sealing strips.

In the past, I have done these by masking off the strips from the wing surface and building them up with a few coats of primer to give a slightly raised area. This means there is no blending in needed.

Edited by Monty Python

Thanks Monty.

So, does this mean they should be on every Mosquito wing? If so, the Tamiya kit looks like it will need them to be added, from the photos posted so far.

Nice idea with the primer by the way, good tip. Thanks!

PR

Edited by Peter Roberts

Mark,

As Peter said, a good thread to start for which I have a couple of questions:

Some ASH-equipped Mossies were fitted with a landing light in the leading edge of the starboard wing; does anyone know when this was initiated?

On the subject of scale drawings, does anyone have an opinion on the Clint drawings from the mid to late 80s?

Cheers

Dave

Well, given the lack of replies on this thread, as compared to the ongoing Spitfire thread, one can surmise that:

1) Less interest in the Mosquito.

2) Comparatively speaking, less known about the Mosquito and its subtle evolution than the Spitfire.

Mark Proulx

The three photos that I have of ASH-equipped Mossies with the L/E mounted landing light are dated October 1944. Two are different views of the same aircraft while the third is a different aircraft.

Unfortunately the serials are not visible in any photos.

Does this help at all? 23 Squadron Blog.

https://no23squadron.wordpress.com/page/14/ The page lists Crew and type of action of any. For example look for S/N RS517. It gives some details of the mission, which if I understand the entry correctly was an ASH mission.

Leading edge light:

Look for a photo of an A.S.H. Mossie with three men standing in front of the Mossie. Names of the 2 crew and instructor. If it is possible to place those 3 together by date, it could prove when the photo was taken?

I believe that the L/E light is visible. Photo below that shows antennas?

I include a link: https://no23squadron.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/mosquito-with-ash-radar.jpg

Edited by Av8fan

I think the fuselage strengthening strake was introduced because the prototype cracked its fuselage by the hatch in the rear

Thanks Av8fan for the links, I had seen them before but not taken in the detail of the LE light. Lee, I think what you're mistaking for the outer 303s are a pair of cooling intakes that these Ash equipped aircraft had either side of the Radome. The Ash radar was pretty much simply an Ash pod like the FAA Fireflies mounted under their nose & inserted thru a hole in a Mosquito nose cone & bolted down to an internal structure.

Steve

Fuselage strake should be on all aircraft except for the prototype with its original fuselage. The fuselage was changed in its entirety after the taxying incident at Boscombe Down.

Fuselage underside panels can be a bit difficult to work out - in many cases, the hole was retained, but was faired over in aluminium, so you would see the outline of the panel, even if it had nothing behind it.

The major differences in Mosquito production, Fighter/Bomber aside, are seen on the early PR1, and the BIV series 1, which are very similar to the prototype in its original form, with single piece flaps, short nacelles, and short tailplane.

I agree that the landing light is a post war production feature - I don't think it is seen on wartime aircraft, though the picture above has me doubting myself.

Best reference is Ian Thirsk's 'Illustrated History, Part 2'

Take care when using restored aircraft as a reference, especially KA114, which is perfectly fitted out as a Canadian built aircraft, as it should be, but there are many differences between it and a FB6.

If anyone wants a copy, I can upload the FB6 Vol1 to a sharing site, and also the Swedish Illustrated parts manual for the NFXIX.

Bruce

"I agree that the landing light is a post war production feature - I don't think it is seen on wartime aircraft, though the picture above has me doubting myself."

Bruce

The 343 T.MkIII dual control trainers built in 1942 were wartime.

Unarmed so obviously non-combat.

TIIIs were sold to Turkey with some MkVIs in 1947.

TurkishTIII.jpg

These photos are post war as well

TIII.jpg

TT.35.jpg

HTH

Edited by MIkeMaben