Italeri ATR-42

buzz

Hannants now have this in stock. I've ordered one but won't get to see it until the end of the month as I'm in Asia at the moment.

Any reviews in the meantime would be welcome!

I'm not familiar with the quality of Italeri's decals, but the sheet (Italian Coast Guard, Guardia di Finanza, and Aeromar) looks nice. No windows though (the kit has open windows), but for those who prefer decals, Hannants also have a BOA decal on offer (1/3 off), which includes windows and details.

I've always thought Italeri decals were printed by Cartograf and years ago by another company called Zanchetti. Their decals have always been generally well printed (accuracy is another thing) from the earliest days when I started buying their kits (mid -80s). So quality shouldn't be an issue.

I've only seen the pictures of the ATR-42 on their website and read the usual "is it me or does this not look right?" comments on another forum (though how anyone can confidently state they can see errors from a few small pictures always makes me laugh!!). There does seem to be a bit of room on the fuselage sprue to allow for a stretch to make the ATR-72, but I can remember if the wing is longer as well. I prefer the open window look to black or grey decal rectangles for windows (MY OPINION!!) so that's a slight bonus in my books. The Aeromar scheme is quite attractive too. No overly fussed about the military schemes offered though they are quite nice too.

I'll wait a while until people have the kit in their hands and can pass proper judgement before I buy or not. Italeri have made a few kits recently that have had modellers shaking their heads in disbelief at the hash they've made of it.

If its not up touch there's always PAS decals resin kit instead. And the Italeri kit is £23 - for a small model...it better be good!!!

Jeff

Edited by pinky coffeeboat

If its not up touch there's always PAS decals resin kit instead. And the Italeri kit is £23 - for a small model...it better be good!!!

Jeff

Don't forget F-RSIN. 19EUR = roughly £13.50 and it's a good wee kit. John Viking made a masterpiece out of the ATR-72:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234932655-1144-atr-72-f-rsin-aurigny/?hl=aurigny

It obviously doesn't count as a review but there is a parallel thread running over on Airliner Cafe and Ivo from BraZ Models has just posted this:

"I've assembled five years ago an Italeri test shot. If it is still the same, run at Light speed away..... Any desktop travel agency model will be by fare much more accurate.

Ivo"

Thanks, just read his post. For such a price I'd expect a lot more. If Ivo is correct (and why shouldn't he be?) I'll take his advice and run away until I read a review that says otherwise.

PAS will do for me.

Skodadriver, on 15 May 2015 - 2:08 PM, said:

It obviously doesn't count as a review but there is a parallel thread running over on Airliner Cafe and Ivo from BraZ Models has just posted this:

"I've assembled five years ago an Italeri test shot. If it is still the same, run at Light speed away..... Any desktop travel agency model will be by fare much more accurate.

Ivo"

Maybe if they didn't released it in the five years that followed his test shot assembly, it's because they corrected it ? At least I hope...

I don't know, but it has to be good after all these years of waiting.. :banghead:

• Like 1

Yes 5 years seems a long time, might be completely different. I will wait until I see shots of this one, not base my decision on 5 year old test shots.

I'll still wait until its reviewed by those who actually have it. The pictures on the website show a model that doesn't really look like a travel agency model - this seems to have a bit if detail to it. Who knows, IT may have put the model away for a few years since Ivo saw it and then brought it back out and began adding detail to the mould. I don't know, I'll still hold on.

Jeff

The military guys seem to have mixed feelings about Italeri kits particularly their tendency to employ a mad trencher (think very early Matchbox) but the better kits are clearly excellent. Wait and see is the obvious course although in my own case it's academic - I have an F-RSIN ATR-42 under way and another in the stash. Provided you're willing to put in the work it's a great little kit and with it available for 19 EUR I won't be paying £23 for the Italeri version even if it turns out to be the holy grail of accuracy.

I've two on order will let everyone know what it's like when I get them will be interesting to see how it shapes up with the F-rsin kit

Now if only someone would do Aer Lingus Regional or Aer Arann Decals to put on it I'd be happy

• Like 1

Now if only someone would do Aer Lingus Regional or Aer Arann Decals to put on it I'd be happy

I've used a set of Aer Arann ATR-72 decals which were produced by V1 Decals but I can't see them listed on their website now.

Had my kits delivered this morning first impressions are quite nice detail including Cockpit. The Props are one piece which will require gentle cutting from gate nice decal sheet.

I'm having problems uploading pics to photbucket but as soon as I've got them up I will upload them here if anyone is interested

Sorry lads my pc is playing up in here in UK still not able to load pics to Photobucket grrrr

I'm back in Dublin Saturday night will upload pics of both Italeri & F-rsin so you can go compare & see what you think :winkgrin:

Eamonn

• Like 1

I have just noticed that the Aviation Megastore is selling the kit for 23.95 EUROS (approx £17) including tax which makes Hannants' price of £22.50 look, shall we say, a little uncompetitive. I remember a similar issue when the DACO 737 came back on the market and although I would normally support Hannants at every opportunity I wonder how they justify a premium of £5.50 over the Aviation Megastore.

I'm not defending Hannants, I'm just pointing out a fact. You might think their price is uncompetitive and I agree it's on the high side for an injected kit of this size but it's also a fact that they've sold out so somebody is prepared to pay the full RRP. Sadly many Italeri kit prices have changed in recent years from being comparative bargains to sometimes approaching Japanese prices.

Several other UK online dealers are offering the ATR at a 10% discount from the UK RRP.

When dealing with Aviation Megastore you've also got to consider their shipping charges. I've just checked and it would cost Euro 16.20 to ship an ATR to me.

• Like 1