'Memphis Belle' B-17f Revell 1/72 (Pic heavy)

Ced,

I hear a Flexi file is great for round bottoms (can I get a score 1/2). But they can get expensive. Seen an article where a guy made his own out of some tubing folded into a "U" shape and a couple round headed pins glued in the ends to keep the sandpaper from coming off. Then cut your sandpaper into a thin strip and glue the ends around to make loops. Slide the sandpaper over the ends and ta da, Bob's your Uncle. Actually, don't think I have an Uncle Bob but then it is possible.

I did a Google search to see if I could find it (unsuccessful, was probably buried in somebodies WIP) but did find this video made by a good ole boy who did a slightly different approach.

I also run paint along my seems to check for sanding and usually use silver as it shows up real well. You can see it in this pic from my P-38 GB thread.

P5210003.JPG

See the seam where the radiator will go (and cover it up so I didn't putty it.

• Like 1

Thanks Simon, Phil and Nigel, great tips :)

Good news - Belle's seam passed the thumbnail click test so it's on with the wings and on with the bottom coat today.

More later!

Thanks John, I'm not concentrating, obviously :)

Glued the elevators flat and fixed the wings this morning with Liquid Poly, one at a time. Tiny gaps that need attention but, in my excitement (or perhaps I'm just not concentrating) sprayed the bottom without filling the gaps first*:

DF22ADA8-40EC-4A2B-B6A9-C2869780A807_zps611BE258-C7C4-4DB6-ACE3-81B913380119_zps

Heck, she's big!

OK, I'll admit it, I'm scared to death of rattle cans. I confidently set off to the garage (rattle, rattle) model in hand, stick it in the box* (rattle, rattle) hold the can the required distance away (roughly) and then press the button. All hell's then let loose and everything vanishes in a haze of [insert colour here]. Don't breathe - it says on the tin "May be lethal if concentrated and inhaled". So now you know why I'm not concentrating! (See what I did there. Arf arf, humour). :D

Looks OK and I'm hoping for Cookie's experience with Tamiya in that it looks 'OK' and then settles to the best finish you've ever seen. Fingers crossed.

* A bit too close to the mark to score but definitely fnaar fnaar

• Like 6

That reminds me of the Tom Lehrer song about pollution which ends

Pollution, pollution, wear a gas mask and a veil.

Then you can breath, long as you don't inhale.

Fnaar fnaar (sorry)

John

Edited by Biggles87
  • Like 2

Tamiya rattle cans are definitely my preferred method for coating whole models. The paint can look a bit alarming when first applied but generally dries to a lovely finish.

• Like 1

Nicely done Cookie,

Ced, that is also the apparatus the Gov't requires my employer to tell me to wear. Bit of a dodgy fit on my highly geometric pinhead, but it keeps my wife from yelling at me to wear it. I mean, I've had worse things strapped to my face is all.

• Like 1

Nicely done Cookie,

Ced, that is also the apparatus the Gov't requires my employer to tell me to wear. Bit of a dodgy fit on my highly geometric pinhead, but it keeps my wife from yelling at me to wear it. I mean, I've had worse things strapped to my face is all.

Modelglue in a previous career:

Boushh_SWE.jpg

• Like 3

That reminds me of the Tom Lehrer song about pollution which ends

Pollution, pollution, wear a gas mask and a veil.

Then you can breath, long as you don't inhale.

Fnaar fnaar (sorry)

John

Thanks John - Tom Lehrer is a long time favourite of mine, although Mrs B bans me playing him when she's around. Another secret pleasure!

Coming together nicely Ced.

The primer coat on the under side will show any blemishes.

I think we all get carried away sometimes, I know I have...

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Simon.

Thanks Simon - no blemishes that I can see apart from that weird seam colour. More tomorrow (in the hope that the seam fairies will clean it up overnight) :)

Tamiya rattle cans are definitely my preferred method for coating whole models. The paint can look a bit alarming when first applied but generally dries to a lovely finish.

Thanks Nigel. It certainly seems to have settled to a nice even coat (apart from the seam)!

The 'Belle' is looking great Ced. Good call at not concentrating in that haze.

I like to wear this when spraying, just in case the morning's crossword comes to mind on accident, or I have to read something with small letters during the painting process, or if I'm thinking about orange juice.

Thanks Cookie. I can get those masks easily here but how do you decide what size (S, M or L?) and which filters do you use?

Nicely done Cookie,

Thanks Princess MG and Procopius for the picture!

This is a boring stage isn't it, waiting for the paint to go off so I can mask tomorrow for the Olive Drab... still, don't want it pulling off do we? *

* Speak for yourself! Score 1, fnaar fnaar!!

• Like 3

(in the hope that the seam fairies will clean it up overnight) :)

I have often hoped that the seam fairies would show up to help me out. I am starting to think they might not exist.

What a shame that would be.

Nigel

• Like 3

Ced,

Couple tips when using rattle cans.

I like to warm the can before spraying (got to be a score 1 in there somewhere) to help improve the flow. Just some hot water in the sink or a bowl and let the can sit in it for 5 minutes. Take out, dry and go spraying.

Also, always start your spray off the model then move the can across and end up off the model again. If the paint is going to splatter it will do so right as you start to spray or when you finish.

Looking good so far and definitely makes me want to dig mine out and have a go.

• Like 4

I like to warm the can before spraying (got to be a score 1 in there somewhere)

Indeed but I am not going to even try to translate what might be going on.

• Like 2

Morning all!

Rob it's exactly like watching paint dry! :)

Thanks Cookie for the mask and filter advice. I'll probably need the 'large' (fnaar fnaar!)

Thanks Sean - you don't have to be mad to read this thread, but it helps. Aeroplane? What aero... oh, right, must get on with it!! :)

Thanks Jon and kwaterous (auto-correct wants that to be 'chatters', sorry!) Yes, we are special :)

Thanks Nigel - "What a shame that would be" - cue 'Jaws' music. I may post pics later and ask for advice.

Thanks Phil for the tips on rattle cans. I do hold it under my armpit and don't spray in the cold but great tips for an easier life! Oh, and score lots, fnaar fnaar!! :D

OK, I'm going to take those photos and post them ASAP!

• Like 2