P-51 Mustang STGB Chat

wellzy

55 minutes ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Hi Joss

Here is what I found

Live Bait (Peggy ) was flown by 6 kills ace Clayton Gross of the 354 Fighter group

As you can see the name Peggy was carried on the right side at one time and I guess that the name Live Bait was added on the left side latter as well as the kill markings ..

Patrice

Thanks for looking patrice! A very interesting video.

Seems logical for the kill markings, so I'll carry them over however there are no decals for "Peggy" :shrug: which is odd.

I'll see what I can do.

Many thanks again

Joss

1 hour ago, Joss said:

Thanks for looking patrice! A very interesting video.

Seems logical for the kill markings, so I'll carry them over however there are no decals for "Peggy" :shrug: which is odd.

I'll see what I can do.

Many thanks again

Joss

You are welcome ..

I think that the name "Peggy" have been overpainted at some stage of the life of this aircraft ...

Cheers

Patrice

• Like 1

Is it too late to join in the fun? I realize it's almost the end of November, but I've started a 1/24 scale Airfix Mustang for another group build elsewhere, but thought it would be fun to post on here as well while I'm at it. I've barely started and am certainly not anywhere near 25%. To be honest I've been refining and correcting parts just so that I can eventually start assembling. The end date here is much sooner than the other group, so I was hoping that might encourage me do some serious building over the holiday season. 

I'm working on a post-war RCAF Mustang 4, from 424 City of Hamilton Squadron. Looking to produce something that will resemble this:

p-51%20424%209253%20port_zpsevvmubk2.jpg

BA-S9253.jpg

Edited by RZP
  • Like 5

I'm reluctantly kicking for touch on this one, life, family matters & the forthcoming festive season ( Bah humbug :angry: ) have conspired against me & I don't need the pressure just now. It's 'sposed to be fun, right!? :)

Steve.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

I'm reluctantly kicking for touch on this one, life, family matters & the forthcoming festive season ( Bah humbug :angry: ) have conspired against me & I don't need the pressure just now. It's 'sposed to be fun, right!? :)

Steve.

Hobbies should be relaxing! Good call, Steve. 

Did you have some TAF or RNZAF Mustangs in mind? 

Not this time around, I was somewhat vacillating on this one, originally it was going to be the Academy P-51 as a 225 sqn recon bird in desert air force colours but then some doubt crept in as to whether or not it should have retained the yellow stripes on the wings, so it was goin to be the High Planes Mustang X, the Merlin powered prototype, but feel that kit might be too involved for the time I've left. I might still dig out a Hobby Boss Easy kit & have a lash at that, maybe Gentile's scheme but no promises, summer break coming up & inside modelling seems like a bad fit , if not too me definitely to others. :rolleyes:

Steve.

Folks, hope it's not too late to join ? I've got the Airfix 1/72 kit that I'd like to build in Israeli colours... speaking of which, can anyone confirm what colour the cockpit and wheel wells were on these aircrafts ? I know that postwar USAF Mustangs used black cockpits, would this be the case for the ones in Israel ?

1 hour ago, Giorgio N said:

Folks, hope it's not too late to join ? I've got the Airfix 1/72 kit that I'd like to build in Israeli colours... speaking of which, can anyone confirm what colour the cockpit and wheel wells were on these aircrafts ? I know that postwar USAF Mustangs used black cockpits, would this be the case for the ones in Israel ?

Good afternoon Giorgio

I think it is not too late to build an Airfix Mustang , regarding Israeli Mustangs I know that they came form various sources  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_P-51_Mustang

" Israel

A few P-51 Mustangs were illegally bought by Israel in 1948, crated and smuggled into the country as agricultural equipment for use in the War of Independence (1948) and quickly established themselves as the best fighter in the Israeli inventory.[79] Further aircraft were bought from Sweden, and were replaced by jets at the end of the 1950s, but not before the type was used in the Suez Crisis, at the opening of Operation Kadesh. In conjunction with a surprise parachute drop at the Mitla Pass, four P-51s were specially detailed to cut telephone and telegraph wires using their wings in extreme low level runs, which resulted in major interruptions to Egyptian communications.[80][81][82] "

Patrice

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good afternoon

Is it too soon to propose the Mustang STGB IV ?

Patrice

Can't have too many Mustang GB's :)

Though seriously, I dont think so. Because 2017 is already booked full for group builds, so it wont happen before 2018.

You could probably start a thread in the group build suggestions sub-forum and see if there is any interest. I'm definitely interested (even while in the middle of the current Mustang STGB).

Cheers

Jimmy

27 minutes ago, JimmyZ said:

Can't have too many Mustang GB's :)

Though seriously, I dont think so. Because 2017 is already booked full for group builds, so it wont happen before 2018.

You could probably start a thread in the group build suggestions sub-forum and see if there is any interest. I'm definitely interested (even while in the middle of the current Mustang STGB).

Cheers

Jimmy

Hi Jimmy

Of course given the 2017 calendar already completely bookked full the Mustang STGB IV would take place in 2018 ..

I will start a thread asap ..

Regards

Patrice

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Would the rear area of the intake be closed or open in flight (my kit offers both). Also the rear wheel doors are moulded open - take it I should remove and refit closed?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Tim Moff
mistake

58 minutes ago, Tim Moff said:

Hi all,

Would the rear area of the intake be closed or open in flight (my kit offers both). Also the rear wheel doors are moulded open - take it I should remove and refit closed?

Thanks in advance!

Good evening Tim

I think that if you want to build your Mustang in flight you should close the intake as for the rear wheel doors

Patrice

• Like 1

Has anyone tried fitting the pilot into the Airfix 72nd scale kit? I had a go at it earlier and without some serious work he ain't going in there! :blink: 

Any chance you'd accept a truly last-minute entry? 12 days should be just enough to build the 1:72 Airfix kit, and I'm planning to finish it as 414214 in its pre-delivery scheme, as shown in a well-known series of air to air PR photos: plain natural metal with nothing but stars & bars, basic stencils and serial numbers...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sabre_days said:

Any chance you'd accept a truly last-minute entry? 12 days should be just enough to build the 1:72 Airfix kit, and I'm planning to finish it as 414214 in its pre-delivery scheme, as shown in a well-known series of air to air PR photos: plain natural metal with nothing but stars & bars, basic stencils and serial numbers...

Good morning Sabre-days

Welcome in this Gb I think you can join and complete your Airfix Mustang but I think that a Mustang in NMF with just stars bars basic stencils and serial number is quite disappointing considering that the nose of Mustangs serving during the WWII were decorated with so beautiful nose arts but after all it is your choice and your build ..

Regards

Patrice

2 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning Sabre-days

Welcome in this Gb I think you can join and complete your Airfix Mustang but I think that a Mustang in NMF with just stars bars basic stencils and serial number is quite disappointing considering that the nose of Mustangs serving during the WWII were decorated with so beautiful nose arts but after all it is your choice and your build ..

Regards

Patrice

Good morning, Patrice

Thanks for the welcome (and for letting me join in at this late stage). I understand how you feel, I like colourful Mustangs as much as the next person...I may go with a different scheme for the GB (maybe postwar RCAF or Air National Guard, or possibly the Dominican decals from the kit), or else build another copy of the kit in different markings alongside it. That being said, I have been meaning to do that scheme for a while. Firstly, because having seen photos of that particular aircraft in so many books going back to when I was about ten makes it seem as familiar to me as Old Crow, Cripes a'Mighty or Petie 2nd, but also because to my eye the simplicity of the markings (much like some of the plainer PRU Spitfire schemes) shows off the aircraft's graceful lines very nicely...it has a certain understated elegance if one cares to look at it that way. Finally, I have wanted for some time to do a build connected with the Women Airforce Service Pilots, which raises the obvious issue that their aircraft rarely carried any distinctive markings (even the trainers permanently assigned to the WASPs at Avenger Field were quite generic looking, I don't think I've ever seen the Fifinella badge painted on an actual wartime aircraft, although I stand ready to be corrected on that)...of course I have no way of knowing if 414214 was ever flown by a WASP, but it is at least representative of the many P-51s, and thousands of other Allied aircraft, flown by women on their delivery flights to operational units...

Best regards,

Jordan

• Like 3

Small question, did the RAF mustang had the prominent red fuel filler caps? On most drawings and models, they are red, but I couldn't find any pircure of the real thing that proves they were really red.

Alex

On 04/01/2017 at 10:45 AM, Sabre_days said:

because to my eye the simplicity of the markings (much like some of the plainer PRU Spitfire schemes) shows off the aircraft's graceful lines very nicely...it has a certain understated elegance if one cares to look at it that way. 

Jordan, must say I agree with you. For some reason I'm becoming less interested these days in replicating the warpaint and more in showing off the lines of the aircraft, and I find that simple colour schemes can do that well. Hence my understated P-51H: 

And as a possible subject for an early D model I quite fancy this one:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=p-51d-5&oq=p-51d-5&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i61j0j69i65j0l2.6101j0j4&client=tablet-android-samsung&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#imgrc=vLlotkvYJLq6bM%3A

Justin

Edited by Bedders
  • Like 1

The end of this has snuck up on us, had planned to slip in one more, but no way I will be able to finish it in 6 days, this was fun, enjoyed the 3 I completed, some fantastic  builds in the gallery, another super GB to be involved in an as ever thanks to the mods and hosts

I'd like to apologize for not being able to take part in this GB like I said I was going to, unfortunately a family bereavement has prevented me from being able to get my build for this one off the starting line. I will be back at the bench soon I am sure and this one will get done at some point, just not in time for it to be a part of things here.