Something Bonkers, Haunebu II

A few days ago I intimated on Nigel Heath's excellent Arado E.555 thread that I had something up my sleeve that would seem even more bonkers by comparison and here it is: the Hand and Head kit of the Haunebu II German flying disc design of WW2.

I bought the kit for a bit of a laugh and for some light relief from my ongoing Karel Doorman builds and the kit will still serve this purpose. However, I couldn't resist doing a bit of research to see if there was anything out there on the thing and, following reading several books, watching a few documentaries and trawling the interweb, I found to my surprise, that there was more going on than just the "conspiracy theory" I expected to find at best.

I was already aware of the BMW series of Flugelrad flying discs (the ridiculous term "flying saucer" was a bad misquotation by the post war American press) but was unaware that the SS also ran two other similar programmes. Research revealed names of scientists involved, eyewitness reports a few distant and grainy photos, as well as a couple of clear fakes, some drawings and pictures of a couple of items of hardware that still exist.

It transpires that most of these scientists ended up working for the USA, Canada/UK and the Soviet Union post war and, interestingly, many pictures taken of UFOs in the immediate post war years and some of the know Avro Canada projects bear more than a passing resemblance to some of the wartime photos and drawings that I had come across.

This build will have to be mostly OOB along with a bit of detail based on educated guesswork as, sadly, one of the things the SS was particularly adept at was the destruction/hiding away of evidence, leaving us with no detailed pictures of these things and apparently, the detailed information on the post war projects is classified in the US until 2045.

So what we seem to have here is not so much a WIFF rather a sort of "How far did they really get?".

I will be away a fair bit over the next month so updates might be a bit erratic but let's see how we get on and here are the pictures of the box.

Thanks for looking.

Martin

001_zpskpzj5wqe.jpg

002_zpseatdqjdl.jpg

003_zpsjci9ttkv.jpg

• Like 13

:Tasty: Where can I get one? :frantic:

No one seems to sell the kit in the UK but there are plenty for sale on Evil Bay at very reasonable prices. I got mine from Korea for under £30 inclusive of postage. It believe Hobby Link Japan also has them on their website. I should add that this will build into quite a large model and you do get a lot of plastic for your money.

Martin

Martin

• Like 1

When you said bonkers, I sort of assumed you were exaggerating but 'Flying Discs', a Martin H build and conspiracy theory!

What more could a man ask for? Very X files.

:popcorn:

"...the detailed information on the post war projects is classified in the US until 2015." Which month??!!

Detailed information on the post war projects is classified in the US until 2015." Which month??!!

Sorry that should read 2045, post corrected.

Martin

• Like 1

Normally I am not the biggest Luft46 fan, but this is more LuftOnAcid, so you got me!

Likewise, honestly despise everything "Luftwaffe 46" but I do love the look of this and the Arado 555. So out of real curiosity I'll be watching this unfold.

Apologies for being a kill joy but I don't get this "imagine the war carried on for a few more years" stuff...really?

Jeff

Edited by pinky coffeeboat
  • Like 3

Likewise, honestly despise everything "Luftwaffe 46" but I do love the look of this and the Arado 555. So out of real curiosity I'll be watching this unfold.

Apologies for being a kill joy but I don't get this "imagine the war carried on for a few more years" stuff...really?

Jeff

This isn't quite Luftwaffe 46. Evidence strongly suggests that this or something very like it was being worked on. Anyway this is being done purely for a bit of fun, the history lesson I got was a bonus for me, although not for my bank account as a result of the books on the subject I ended buying.

Martin

This isn't quite Luftwaffe 46. Evidence strongly suggests that this or something very like it was being worked on. Anyway this is being done purely for a bit of fun, the history lesson I got was a bonus for me, although not for my bank account as a result of the books on the subject I ended buying.

Martin

Although I tend to agree with the first two sentences, I find the boundaries of 'Luft '46' get more amorphous the longer you look at it! I have made absolutely no efforts to research it, mind, but often stumble on tantalising bits of 'evidence' by accident. OK, mostly dodgy TV docs on the lesser cable channels, but if any of it has a basis in reality:

Henry Coanda (sorry, can't get the correct accent on the last 'a'!), a Rumanian inventor, is supposed to have investigated the feasibility of a flying disc as an extension of aerofoil lifting function. Andreas Epp, a Luftwaffe pilot, got interested in the idea and proposed experiments with simple unmanned devices, primarily as gunnery targets. Following on from these, it is alleged that several manned prototypes were constructed at the Skoda factory whilst it was in German hands, but these were said to have been blown up (along with the airfield where they were stored) to prevent the Allies taking possession when things started going South for the Reich.

I do like the idea that the first piloted flying discs were not of extra-terrestrial origin, but made by Skoda! Is the past dead and buried, or does this go some way to explaining Volkswagen's motivation to absorb the Czech firm...? :devil:

Whatever, this is going to be a fascinating project -make mine a large pop-corn, please!

• Like 2

I think we need to encourage the posting of links to dodgy documentaries on the flying saucer project. :fuhrer: I saw one that touched on the project, but it was more of a tour of the installation that was supposed to have been where the experiments were done, so not entirely fulfilling :( You can't beat a good Iron Sky movie... when's the sequel coming out with the T-Rex riding Sturmfuhrer? I'd buy that model in a heartbeat! :lol:

• Like 5

Basically that is a type of Flying Saucer as described by George Adamski, who claimed to have spoken to suspiciously blond Aryan types who piloted it, who also took him for joy rides around the solar system! He published (co-written by Desmond Leslie) his historic book Flying Saucers Have Landed in 1953. Which they hadn't, the whole thing was a hoax. There have been a few kits of this type of saucer, mainly from Japanese brands such as Sunny and Bandai. Ironic considering the original photos of these things were probably models as well...

Edited by Nomore Shelfspace
  • Like 1

Oo will be watching this one with interest. Like many, I always thought this was some crazy idea, didn't know it had some historical basis for it, most interesting :) needs moar Iron Sky! :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

I saw one that touched on the project, but it was more of a tour of the installation that was supposed to have been where the experiments were done, so not entirely fulfilling

Was that the one where it was bell-shaped and supposedly had 'runes' written on the side and whose plans were stolen by a fanatical Nazi who then conveniently disappeared?!

How can you disprove a negative? But hey ho never let logic get in the way of a good story.

Martin. This looks seriously nuts. What colour scheme? RLM84 he he.......

Trevor

• Like 1

Very nice Martin. Will be watching this one for sure.

Of course, once you finish this you might have to consider the ship from Iron Sky (still got to watch this).

http://www.atlantis-models.com/GermanValkyrieFlyingSaucer9InchDiameterResinKit.aspx

You are a bad man Phil! I am seriously tempted but I think I will stick to something that has at least some historical basis behind it.

I think we need to encourage the posting of links to dodgy documentaries on the flying saucer project. :fuhrer: I saw one that touched on the project, but it was more of a tour of the installation that was supposed to have been where the experiments were done, so not entirely fulfilling :( You can't beat a good Iron Sky movie... when's the sequel coming out with the T-Rex riding Sturmfuhrer? I'd buy that model in a heartbeat! :lol:

And I thought I had lost the plot!! What I do to the kit won't be based on the dodgy documentaries on You Tube though but on some more serious reading I have done and sadly, won't include Hitler fleeing to a secret UFO base in Antarctica, contact with aliens, or space travel. The term Haunebu is a contraction of Hauneburg, the region where this particular project was conducted.

Was that the one where it was bell-shaped and supposedly had 'runes' written on the side and whose plans were stolen by a fanatical Nazi who then conveniently disappeared?!

How can you disprove a negative? But hey ho never let logic get in the way of a good story.

Martin. This looks seriously nuts. What colour scheme? RLM84 he he.......

Trevor

I think you are referring to "Die Glocke" which seems to have been some sort of alternative propulsion machine. German scientists were tasked to look into alternative forms of energy to end or at least lessen Germany's dependence on oil imports. Electro-magnetic propulsion and Viktor Schauberger's Repulsine, were other examples of this.

Colour schemes will be interesting as the only pictures we have are at a distance and really just show up dark so it will have to be best guess. Suggestions on a post card....................

I never thought the kit would stir up this amount of interest and I haven't even got the thing to my work bench yet!

Martin

• Like 2