Bristol Bombay Mk 1 Valom 1/72 (Pic heavy)

Here is my latest Valom offering, the 1/72 Bristol Bombay Mk1. This has been a long and 'interesting' build, WiP thread here.

OOB build (as usual for me) primed with Humbrol grey plastic primer, underside Vallejo Model Air aluminium and camoflage Vallejo DE and Humbrol DG (latter brush painted). Guns and bomb racks omitted to represent the transport variant (and because the supplied guns are pathetic and I'm too lazy to scratch build).

First flown in 1935 the Bombay was introduced in 1939 and retired in 1944. I believe only 40 were in service and this one stalled on approach and crashed. Wikipedia here and, as usual, no colour photos for reference. The build thread has lots of references (please have a read if you have any questions - it's only 21 pages!) so I'll go straight into the photos of the completed model. Here's what I was aiming for and my attempt at a similar shot of the finished model:

300px-Aircraft_of_the_Royal_Air_Force%2C0c4b5f5d-2a95-4f14-9f69-287d273c158f_zps

And some more colourful shots...

319ac1ad-5861-49b2-a980-232b4d2057b9_zps

ED3F3A8F-B434-434F-97DF-3A815B24ABBE_zps

A09CF9F7-1F85-4073-9D31-0585B908F0D0_zps

1789C336-1C96-4D65-8D21-A579D37B6B6D_zps

3C207889-94FF-4A69-A3B0-9DEACC9ED898_zps

Thanks for looking!

• Like 30

Thanks Darby!

I know, weird isn't it? Bristol Boy put me right on this early on in the WiP - his reference post here. Bristol were quite innovative and the turrets were bolted perspex with no frames and contained bizarre hydraulic gun mounts that look a lot like exercise bikes.

I'm reading Johnny Johnson's 'Last British Dambuster' at the moment and he mentions that it was quite common for Lancaster gunners to have some of the window taken out to aid vision... perhaps Bristol solved this?

• Like 1

That, imho, has come up wonderfully well & I will buy one now I've seen how good it can look & now that you have exposed all the pitfalls along the way. In spite of them, you've made a cracking job of this, I've enjoyed the journey. Thanks Ced.

Steve.

• Like 1

Thanks Darby!

I know, weird isn't it? Bristol Boy put me right on this early on in the WiP - his reference post here. Bristol were quite innovative and the turrets were bolted perspex with no frames and contained bizarre hydraulic gun mounts that look a lot like exercise bikes.

I'm reading Johnny Johnson's 'Last British Dambuster' at the moment and he mentions that it was quite common for Lancaster gunners to have some of the window taken out to aid vision... perhaps Bristol solved this?

Well I never! You live and learn. Are you going to go into battle with another Valom offering any time soon?

• Like 1

Nice effort Ced. Looking over your WIP it was actually a reasonably straightforward progress. I hope your build assists other people to overcome the pitfalls.

The only thing I would add is a disc of black, grey or silver decal for the upper window. Email me if you need a location.

• Like 1

Wonderful Ced ... And everyone of your 21pages are very interesting! And may I add very useful.

Looking forward to your b17... Should easy after this! Ha ha ha

Cheers

Rob

• Like 1

21 pages, lots of fun for the spectators, and less than 3 weeks from start to finish.

In the same period I think I have just about successfully masked one resin canopy (in 4 attempts, 3 of which the paint fell off).

Proper job (as they don't say in Bombay - or Bristol for that matter)

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 1

Well done that man! A great result after a very enjoyable build thread. I will never be able to look at an exercise bike again (fat chance!) without thinking 'Bombay'

Waiting impatiently for the next one.

John

• Like 2

So that's what you were building. At times, looking at all the odd pieces that clearly seemed to have nothing to do with each other, I thought you were creating a garden shed!

Very gratifying result Ced. Almost sorry it is done - sort of like finishing a good book, one wishes there were still a few more chapters..

Can't wait to see what you select next - how many more kits can there be that are impossible to put together of subjects so few people have heard of?

Cheers,

Mike

• Like 2

Thanks everyone! I'm afraid I've run out of likes for today so apologies to those who missed out.

Ed we did 'discuss' the escape hatch during the WiP and I used the pathetic excuse (being lazy) that I build OOB and ducked out. I did notice the hatch/window on the paint scheme and kept quiet about it... I think I got away with it, no one will ever know.

I'm currently applying transfers to my 'have a rest after the Brigand' Vampire and I'll post a few pics back in the Bombay WiP. Or maybe I'll do an RFI.

I'm also reviewing the instructions on the Revel B-17F Memphis Belle so I guess that's next... should be a doddle after two Valoms, although the number of 'Marie Celeste WiPs' on BM is a bit worrying...

• Like 4

Nice to see it finished Ced and also to hear the poor little Vampire is finally getting her markings.

Now bring on the Fort.

Another great build of a difficult kit Ced! I like your display method for the pics, and this will be a worthy addition to your office ceiling.

Thanks Cookie. I've already allocated a place for it. In the corner.

Ced,

Looks great, definitely a Bombay, congratulations on being the first to show one in real life.

Look forward to seeing your next build, how about a Vacform!

Nearly finished my Beaufighter should be my next RFI.

Vacform? Shudder. I have enough problems with stiff plastic*

Nice to see it finished Ced and also to hear the poor little Vampire is finally getting her markings.

Now bring on the Fort.

Vampire transfers (but not stencils) on and posting in the Bombay WiP thread forthwith (or maybe fifth with... be patient!)

Great to see it finished, lovely :)

Thanks Woody, I'm pleased to see it finished too, believe me!

* Dbl_E, score 1, fnaar fnaar

• Like 1