New 1/48th Airfix Hurricane

Paul J

Not sure if this is the right place, but here are photos of the new kit.

(MOds: please feel free to move to appropriate place if needed)

most of thess pics show both sides to illustrate detail etc.

IMG_7856_zps05cucur4.jpg

IMG_7857_zpsw5sch3aa.jpg

IMG_7858_zpsaephjgoe.jpg

IMG_7859_zpsupijel3e.jpg

Note the extra under fuselage parts for a Sea Hurricane. On the sprue with all the smaller parts you'll find the hook and parts for the tropical filter!

IMG_7860_zpsus7mtbvd.jpg

IMG_7861_zpsk4o3xuor.jpg

IMG_7862_zps8ibko4pl.jpg

IMG_7863_zpsoqbc2br7.jpg

IMG_7864_zps1b3dybpg.jpg

• Like 2

She scrubs up quite nicely . . .

hurricane%2525203-001.jpg

Ian.

Ian

is this the new tool, or the old tool, as the markings are from the old tool kit.or did you just prefer the 32 Sq and use the old marking on the new kit?

A couple of points.

the GZ is mispositioned. The 'G' should be lower.

large.jpg

and one I keep seeing, the roundels are too far outboard.

the centre of the roundel is 80 inches inboard from the wingtip according to the Ducimus Camo diagram.

As the roundel is 49", the edge should be 55.5" from tip.

In 1/48th this is near as dammit 30mm, or just align on aileron and panel line.

Note at the top right this is based on the Hawker factory drawing.

Hurricane_camouflage_diagram.jpg

cheers

T

Troy, thanks for the comments. It's the new kit, with markings from the Kagero 'Battle of Britain' book/decals. I wish I'd seen that photo before I placed the codes, and as regards the upperwing roundels - mea culpa. The Ducimus series are normally an early point of reference, but I worked on the basis that the roundels were to be so positioned that they cleared the leading edge and the aileron hinge line by between 1 and 2 scale inches, which I seem to remember being the original guidance. Perhaps the roundels are marginally undersized? I shall check!

Don`t worry Ian,

Join the club,........Troy picked me up for the upper wing roundels on my Hurricane`s too!! Nice job on your 32 Sqn Hurri, I intend on doing one of these too at some point.

Here are mine with the incorrect upper roundels which are so blatantly obvious once pointed out!DSCF4223_zps2wegqk83.jpg

DSCF4205_zpsqnyfugdr.jpg

I think that you have a point about the upper wing roundels maybe being a bit too small as I did the same as you and went by their relation front and back to the leading edge and the aileron, rather than double checking the exact location!

I`ll get it right on the next batch which I`m painting now!

Cheers for posting the parts Paul,

Tony

Edit- Changed Ian for Joachim,.....sorry Ian!

Edited by tonyot

The rule of thumb, for all aircraft, was to take the wingspan (Hurricane 40' or 480",) divide by 3 (160",) measure that distance from the centre-line of the fuselage, and that point marks the centre of the roundel. Naturally this will, in the Hurricane's case, also = 80" from the wingtip. The roundel was then supposed to fill the available space, without encroaching on the aileron or its hinges.

Troy Smith wrote . . .

". . . and one I keep seeing, the roundels are too far outboard.

the centre of the roundel is 80 inches inboard from the wingtip according to the Ducimus Camo diagram.

In 1/48th this is near as dammit 30mm, or just align on aileron and panel line. "

I retrieved the Hurricane from its shelf, where it awaits weathering and antenna wire, and did some measuring. The centres of the upper roundels are, as accurately as I can measure, one and five eighths of an inch from the tip, which equates to 78" full size, so my error was to place them just about a millimetre too far outboard. I'll live with that!

Ian

Edited by Pilot Officer Prune

. . .

hurricane%2525203-001.jpg

Ian.

Troy Smith wrote . . .

". . . and one I keep seeing, the roundels are too far outboard.

In 1/48th this is near as dammit 30mm, or just align on aileron and panel line. "

I retrieved the Hurricane from its shelf, where it awaits weathering and antenna wire, and did some measuring. The centres of the upper roundels are, as accurately as I can measure, one and five sixteenths of an inch from the tip, which equates to 78" full size, so my error was to place them just about a millimetre too far outboard. I'll live with that!

Ian

I stand corrected!

Perhaps just the angle the photo was taken at Ian, they appear to look to far outboard in the photo, in particular the alignment of the roundel to the aileron.

I just wondered if Airfix had made the same glitch as Italeri. As has been stated, a 'rule of thumb'

The roundel was then supposed to fill the available space, without encroaching on the aileron or its hinges.

Photos of the upper wing of Hurricanes are not common, this shows them well on a factory fresh aircraft, and how much space to the leading edge the 49" roundel leaves, and moving it further outboard to fill the available space is an easy mistake.

hurr1-12.jpg

HTH

T

PS while posting something else...

RAF_Fighter_Command_1940_HU104489.jpg

Comparing the photo Troy posted just above mine with Ian's model, I must say it appears that the outboard ends of the Airfix ailerons are significantly further inboard. If the inboard ends are correspondingly further inboard (meaning the whole aileron is misplaced), that would explain why Ian's roundels don't appear to match very closely to the ends of the ailerons. I'm probably wrong, but that's the way it looks from the two photos.

Edited by Seawinder

Photos of the upper wing of Hurricanes are not common, this shows them well on a factory fresh aircraft, and how much space to the leading edge the 49" roundel leaves, and moving it further outboard to fill the available space is an easy mistake.

hurr1-12.jpg

And this shows that not everyone interpreted the orders in the same way:-

Wings_Mk_IIB_zpsmg9plxwy.jpg

And this shows that not everyone interpreted the orders in the same way:-

Wings_Mk_IIB_zpsmg9plxwy.jpg

erm, am I being dim, because the above looks like the photo I posted and the official painting diagram as well, note and compare position of panel lines. What am I missing apart from mis matched paint on the ailerons?

I see Mk IIC wings in DFS, note yellow leading edge stripe, and inverted camo colours on 5th wing back.

Hurricane_camouflage_diagram.jpg

What am I missing apart from mis matched paint on the ailerons?

On the Mk.I, for some reason, the roundels don't encroach onto the (metal) leading edge; on the later Mark's wings, they "fill the available space."

That wing panel between the two left hand most ones is the underside.ighter colour! As is the immediate second one from right hand most wing panel. Look at the black stencilling or 'hand written notes' compared to the top side camo ones.

On the Mk.I, for some reason, the roundels don't encroach onto the (metal) leading edge; on the later Mark's wings, they "fill the available space."

Hurri_P3428_roundel_line.jpg

Leading edge panel lines highlighted in red. The IIC wing roundel looks to be slightly bigger, but may just be slightly further out. Hard to tell.

The IIC wing does match the Hawker drawing in roundel position in respect to panel lines though.

That wing panel between the two left hand most ones is the underside.ighter colour! As is the immediate second one from right hand most wing panel. Look at the black stencilling or 'hand written notes' compared to the top side camo ones.

Well spotted. Now I look again, I see pairs of wings. Great photo I'd not seen before. Thank you Edgar.

The second wing in the rack seems to have the roundel slightly more outboard if the camo patterns are applied the same - which they may not be of course. I suspect the position could well vary a bit - applied by humans after all!

Regards, Robert

A few pics of my Hurricane. I couldn't resist it and started to bulld it. Not going to do a WIP but I am illustrating just part of the build for the benefit of those who have not yet started theirs or seen the kit.

IMG_7868_zpsy5eftwj6.jpg

Some of the structure. Quite intricate and a bit fiddly but feels strong when set.

IMG_7869_zpsmobxxlul.jpg

IMG_7870_zps9eqmaeag.jpg

I decided to give it a try and cut out just one of the gun bays.

The rest of the build is fairly normal. I won't be doing much more until I decide on a finish but hope the pics here serves up some inspiration!

• Like 1