Thank you chaps , :thumbsup2:

So an hour at the bench today, a bit more work.

P1010035_zps0hk0zous.jpg

P1010036_zps7r3hlkf1.jpg

P1010037_zps8ariva97.jpg

P1010039_zpsajvxmszo.jpg

P1010040_zpsenkcdmur.jpg

Going to use these ratchet straps from Accurate Armour for the barrel straps, hopefully they are not too big.

P1010042_zpsnabzc5us.jpg

P1010043_zps0dgwnxud.jpg

Still loads to do on the brackets so please stay tuned.

Enjoy

Dan

• Like 6

A tiny bit more work done to the brackets.

This one is more of a proof of concept really, making sure all the parts work and it looks right.

P1010049_zpswerghiaz.jpg

P1010046_zps0rxky54x.jpg

P1010044_zpslpgdftsy.jpg

P1010048_zpspfduxpnx.jpg

P1010045_zpslul2apmz.jpg

Second set of brackets shouldn't take too long.

Dan

• Like 1

Even though I was leaning on one of these drum-mounts a few days ago, I've looked over my photos and there don't seem to be any good pics of the fuel drum mounts, other than an over-exposed one from above. :rolleyes:

Those barrel holders really look the part.

Seeing the whole model together shows the amount of hard work you have put in to correct/improve this kit!

Roger

• Like 1

Dan,

Great to see you "back at it " again and that the Chally is coming along nicely (as usual) but.......looking at your pictures of the fuel drum carriers I noticed that you have them being attached by adding on "nuts and bolts". This started me thinking as I didn't recall ever having to remove nuts and bolts to take off the carriers.

I had a feeling that they were secured to the brackets using a different (easier to remove) mechanism. Ive just come back from working on the Prairie in Canada and took some photos of Chally 2, a couple of which showed the fuel drums and carriers. Ive looked at them tonight and confirmed that they were secured differently and as I first thought. This then go me thinking that the securing mechanism was just for CR2 so......delving into my "archive" of Chally pics from years ago I found a photo showing how they were/are attached to the brackets.

see below:

<a href="http://s1153.photobucket.com/user/nickflack/media/46a1eaa4-db76-4612-9e60-5d339828bbe4_zpscpo6mg8z.jpg.html"target="_blank">

The mechanism is made up of a smooth pin with a ring going through one end attached to a captive cord attached to the bracket.

Following this is a large flat washer which sits against the carrier.

On the other side of the carrier and bracket the pin then has another flat washer attached with everything secured in place by a split pin going through the hole of the original pin.

This makes it easier to remove the bracket without having to use any tools other that a screwdriver to straighten the split pin.

Apologies if I have once again P#ssed on your Bonfire but I know how much work you put into your models both in research and construction to make them as realistic as possible. Hopefully this little "nugget" of info will help with that.

Sorry for the quality of the photo, its scanned from a negative.

Cheers

Nick.

Edited by Widow 65

Nick,

Thanks for the picture fella, just what I needed, I'll be amending the build to reflect the pic, finding material

Of the brackets in this detail is really difficult and the picture posted is worth its weight in gold.

Dan

• Like 1

Dan,

As promised here are a few more views of the back end of a Chally with long range fuel drum carriers:

2012-05-02_30_zps1npva37m.jpg

2012-01-23_1_zpsp7fw9skk.jpg

2012-05-02_28_zpsiv8jgwvq.jpg

Explanation ( from my perspective):

Once the Gulf War had finished and everything was back to normal again(?) there was really no use for the the long range tanks and the likelihood of ever needing an extra 110Gallons of diesel in Germany was almost non existent. So the ever resourceful tank soldiers looked for another use for the drums ( if you could get hold of them!)

Stowage, was / is always an issue on a tank so have been given two large drums with no fuel to go in them the only thing to do was adapt them for carrying extra kit! We cut half of the top of the 55 gallon drum off and replaced it with a canvas cover on a bungee to keep out the wet and HEY PRESTO! more stowage. The usual use for these new additions was to keep the Cam net in ( even though the front turret basket done the job ) which made it easier than hooking it all around the tank to be caught on everything you came into contact with.

As you see in the pictures there are many different ways to have the back of the tank depending on the chances of getting hold of the empty fuel drums and one of the pictures shows the three tanks all having a different rear end.

Yet again, hope these are useful.

Cheers

Nick

• Like 1

Dan - I found these last night. Not sure if they're the correct mark, but they look like a Chally 1 to my untrained eyes.

IMG_6007.jpg

IMG_6008.jpg

IMG_6009.jpg

Julien will be shifting the pics about to add to the Walk Around section at some point, so if you want to check 'em over, do so now before they move & get shrunk down a bit ;)

• Like 2

Just found this and had an enyoable time reading through - superb job again Dan, really like the details you've added. I built this kit a couple of years ago but did it pretty much OOB but added a dozer blade and put it in a "Bosnia-based" diorama.

Look forward to seeing your further progress!

• Like 1

An hour at the bench this afternoon,

Made up the support bracket for the front of the commander cupola, not sure what its for but

possibly the box that contains the wiper motors for the commanders scopes.

P1010112_zps24hcauj5.jpg

P1010113_zpsi8kecps3.jpg

one of the lifting lugs from the back deck.

P1010115_zps8tkup22j.jpg

P1010114_zpsnyw21buc.jpg

More later folks

Dan

• Like 3