Lifecolor RN sets, revisited

cruiserguy

Good Afternoon Everyone,

I have started using the Lifecolor RN sets I posted comments on a couple of weeks ago. I have found they are surprisingly good. At the moments, I have only used APC 507A and MS3, and I never thought I would write this, but I might just prefer them to the Vallejo equivalents I've been using for the last four years. I don't think they cover are well as some of the Lifecolor paints I have used in the past, but two or three thin coats are all you need.

In comparison to the Vallejo equivalents I have used, I think Lifecolor APC 507A is less blue, and in my view more pleasing and accurate than the Luftwaffe Uniform Blue I have been using. In addition, Lifecolor MS3 is to my eye more accurate that the Marine Tanker Highlight called out in the Vallejo equivalents chart for that colour. If the other colours are as good compared to the Vallejo equivalents, it means RN modellers have another choice in the paints they can use.

Best Wishes,

Will.

Hi Graham,

All three are purple-blues. APC507A is 5PB 3.5/2, APC507B is 5PB 5.5/2, and APC507C is 5PB 7/1.5; all in Munsell notation. I think there is some colour film of HMS Hood in 507A(B?), and it has a distinctly blue tint.

Best Wishes,

Will.

• 1 year later...

Hi Ally by

I think at the time she was sunk Hood was in AP 507B. However check the dicussion on Modelwarships.com regarding the authenticity of this colour. The set with AP 507A,B, C should suit your needs. The only other colours you will need in addition to this is a suitable colour for the deck, ships boats, and other minor details.

Will.