Rescue Pilot by Jerry Grayson

Latinbear

While browsing in Waterstone's Piccadilly, London branch on Wednesday I came across this recently published (2015) book completely by chance as it wasn't in the Aviation section and in fact was on a stand as I left the Travel section.

The reason for mentioning it is that it is quite simply a terrific read.

Jerry Grayson is a former RN helicopter pilot who served in both AS Sea Kings and SAR Wessex squadrons based at RNAS Culdrose and while flying a Wessex received a commendation for his role in rescuing sailors involved in the disastrous 1979 Fastnet race. After eight years in the RN he became a civil helicopter pilot.

"Rescue Pilot" offers a very nice blend of plain English technical explanations behind how and why helicopters work, some of their problems, differences between AS and SAR roles, life in the Royal Navy and some of the highs and lows of the job. The writing style is lively and interspersed with a number of humorous anecdotes that had me laughing out loud. A number of reviews on Amazon that I have now read refer to Jerry Grayson as a raconteur and having read his book I can believe it.

If I have a criticism it is the limited number of photos; there must have been more that he could have included.

This is obviously an entirely personal opinion but I think this ranks as one of the best books on flying that I have read for a long time.

Hey Latinbear

Thanks so much for posting such kind words about my book, I really appreciate it. I was alerted to it during a Google search for articles on "Rescue Pilot"

I'm thinking of starting a competition on our Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rescue-Pilot/882280861803740?ref=hl ) about where people spot the book on the shelves as there have been some weird ones!

I totally agree with your criticism about photos, I supplied about 50 but apparently there is a limit to how many pages you can use in the middle of the book. Happy to post more here if anybody is after details for modelling ... except can you tell me how to post images, I seem to be having a senior moment on that?

And to Antoine ... I know that it's definitely available at WH Smiths and Waterston's in the UK. Also definitely on all the national Amazon sites.

Cheers

JerryG

• Like 2

Thanks, Jerry,

Most of the time, I'd get my english books from Amazon, that's no big deal.

Yours was recommended to me there, probably because I already possess Down South, Scram and SF pilots, all related to FAA helo pilots, and the Falklands.

I'll have to download this.

I bought Scram as I was on 847 NAS with SLT Benson, apart from the narrative of how we got down south I was disappointed that he saw fit to ignor the effort all the Engineers put in to keep all the Squadrons Wessex airborne at such a crucial time (especially when the Atlantic Conveyor was hit) A great shame but it does help me remember some great times in the darkest moments.

XS516, X-E is still my favourite aircraft.

Hey WAFU

Your mention of engineers has made me feel guilty that I didn't say a bit more about that in my own book. However I was very pleased to note that a recent magazine review did notice that I had actually dedicated the book to a very fine air engineer, sadly now gone, called John Carpenter. It used to be that they gave a full page to the dedication but that habit seems to have gone.

I just re-read Rick Jolly's book about his time in the Falklands . It first came out as “The Red and Green Life Machine” but I recently bought an updated copy which is now called “Doctor for Friend or Foe”. I highly recommend it.

Cheers

JerryG