1/350 H.M.S. Kent with Extras

Greetings everyone.

Time to start another build after a couple of weeks off after the Akagi.

This time it is very much simpler, Trumpeter's 1/350 H.M.S. Kent with WEM's Type 23 Detail Set which is now available from Atlantic Models which is owned and operated by Mr Peter Hall who was the original designer of WEMs brass.

We have to start somewhere so I may as well start with step 1 and get the hull started..

Kent1.jpg

I am presuming this is where the ship's sonar is located. Fit isn't too bad but it needed some Mr Dissolved Putty to fill the small gap.

Then there is the centre section of the hull ..

Kent2.jpg

And then the stern area..

Kent3.jpg

Props will be fitted later.

And finally an overall view//

Kent4.jpg

For a frigate it sure is big!

Then there is the stern area before the flight deck is put in place. A few details here and I noticed in a photo of a type 23 that they have some sort of netting over those openings in the stern but I can't come up with something that would look realistic so better to leave it off! :winkgrin:

Kent5.jpg

After I finished painting the deck and putting it in position I decided to try something which is called in the wing-thing world pre-shading. Rather than paint everything matt black I thought I would open up the bottle of Tamiya Panel-line Enhancer and try it. I don't think it looks at all realistic the way some people shade the panel lines on aircraft. I have worked on the real thing and they are hard enough to see up close, let alone at scale distances.

Kent6.jpg

Kent7.jpg

We will see how it comes out.

Cheers for now

Warren

• Like 4

Nice start Warren will be keeping an eye on this I have this one and the PE sitting waiting in the stash but it it will be a long while for me at my build rate looking forward to more :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Keith

Excellent to see you doing this, I have this at about your current stage. My problem was finding a decent grey in Model Master acrylics. I think I have one but now I am bogged down with a couple of ancient WAFU beasts.

Looking forward to seeing this progress.

Bob

Nice start Warren will be keeping an eye on this I have this one and the PE sitting waiting in the stash but it it will be a long while for me at my build rate looking forward to more :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Keith

Thanks Keith.

I also have the Westminster and Montrose in the stash, and I ordered the PE sets from Pete Hall of WEM fame just the other day.

Hope you enjoy.

Excellent to see you doing this, I have this at about your current stage. My problem was finding a decent grey in Model Master acrylics. I think I have one but now I am bogged down with a couple of ancient WAFU beasts.

Looking forward to seeing this progress.

Bob

Hi Bob and welcome aboard.

I am using the Gunze ones called out in the instructions as I have them all here! :winkgrin:

Let's see how they come out.

Cheers

Warren

If any moderators read this could they please contact me as I would like to change my display name.

Cheers

Warren

Hi Warren,

Having watched your excellent build of Akagi with interest (and awe). I am looking forward to seeing what you can do with the Trumpeter Type 23. It should also be interesting as I am recording my build of HMS Kent's sister ship in this forum, although I think you will finish long before me.

Just to let you know, I use Humbrol 127 for Royal Navy topsides grey. I spent sometime in the past colour matching various paints to the real thing and I found it to be a very close match.

Keep up the good work :thumbsup:

Paul

Hey warren spoke to Peter Hall the other week at a local show did you know that the type 23 set he does now with his Atlantic models site has had an upgrade to the original release from the one he mastered for WEM he has added extra to the frets to do the various difference in some of the ships in this class.

Paul E Sovereign hobbies has also started to do the color coats range that WEM had if you are short on supplies..

Beefy

I'm glad that Peter Hall has updated the Type 23 PE fret because there are number of minor errors in the White Ensign fret. They are fixable. Most of the errors relate to the fact that the P.E. derived from the White Ensign HMS Norfolk kit and there are a number of differences between earlier and later ships of the Type 23 class.

• Like 1

Hi Warren,

Having watched your excellent build of Akagi with interest (and awe). I am looking forward to seeing what you can do with the Trumpeter Type 23. It should also be interesting as I am recording my build of HMS Kent's sister ship in this forum, although I think you will finish long before me.

Just to let you know, I use Humbrol 127 for Royal Navy topsides grey. I spent sometime in the past colour matching various paints to the real thing and I found it to be a very close match.

Keep up the good work :thumbsup:

Paul

Thanks for that Paul.

As someone who knows very little about, and has no access to, modern grey ships, and the fact that every computer monitor is different and gives a different colour, your recommendation is great! I will order some asap as I need it.

My painting adventure will be covered in my post with piccies later on today.

Thanks mate

Warren

Hey warren spoke to Peter Hall the other week at a local show did you know that the type 23 set he does now with his Atlantic models site has had an upgrade to the original release from the one he mastered for WEM he has added extra to the frets to do the various difference in some of the ships in this class.

Paul E Sovereign hobbies has also started to do the color coats range that WEM had if you are short on supplies..

Beefy

Hi Beefy.

Well I will soon find out as I have two sets wending their way to my place even as I type this. The only problems with the Colorcoats is that color is spelt wrongly (colour) and they are enamels. They brush well but airbrush clean up sux! :winkgrin:

Thanks for the info though as I will be needing their range whenever I get around to the pre-war dreadnoughts I have with their yellow funnels etc.

Cheers mate,

Warren

Back again.

Well the adventure well and truly began yesterday. I knew everything had been going too smoothly and sure enough I rushed ahead in one area that affected the work flow.

I glued the main deck in place before I painted the hull which in hind sight was a rather big mistake. Lesson learned..

I went to paint the hull with my Gunze H57 and the first thing I noticed was that it is a gloss paint.. Can't remember when I last saw a warship that was gloss, but my thinking was that I could matt coat it later. Then after mixing the paint in the usual ratios I tested the mix on the stand and it went all grainy when I sprayed it on.. it appeared the various paint droplets were not joining when they hit the surface. Thinking the may join as they dried I sprayed the other side of the hull as well but when I went back to the first side it was still grainy.. ARGH!!! Then I tried again after stripping off the other paint by warming the paint first.. Still an abomination..

Many and varied expletives where thought in my head and I went out into the kitchen, grabbed the Windex and let fly hoping I could strip the offending paint and not affect the paint I had applied to the deck. Wrong.. The paint came off the hull sides fine, but the Windex had flowed over the deck as well and stripped off the paint where it had touched.Wrong again.. Oh well.. stripped the rest of that off as well (Gunze H331 which went on beautifully) and retired to the hobby den to ponder my dilemma. I then fired up this trusty computer and opened a colour paint comparison chart I use and it suggested that Tamiya XF-19 was a close match for Gunze H57. Goody I thought as I have tons of that so I mixed it up and applied it to the hull. It came out perfectly flat and looks like a good match to photos of Type 23s I have seen in other places, mostly in Paul E's blog of his build.. thanks Paul!

And now I am very reliably informed that Humbrol 127 is a great match for the correct colour by Paul and I immediately ordered a couple of tines. Hope the acrylic is the same colour as the enamel as I don't like spraying enamels.

But anyway, on to a few piccies! A spray booth full of Type 23 stuff..

Kent4.jpg

Some parts for the main mast..

Kent5.jpg

Neither of the PE sets I have for the ship (WEM and Trumpeter) have replacements for the overly thick platforms on the mast. Hint hint Pete Hall is you are reading this..

Here we have the first of the PE for the ship..

Kent2.jpg

I am taking a bit of artistic licence with this part as I glued the detail onto the smooth side of the antenna and left the other side with its lumps and bumps exposed.. naughty me.

And I know you are going to find this hard to believe, but the Trumpeter PE that comes with the model is actually better than the WEM stuff. The following part is Trumpeter, not WEM. Notice how fine the railings are.

Kent3.jpg

The WEM one is close to being as fine but this just looks better to my eyes.

That's it for now.

Cheers

Warren

• Like 5

Thought I may as well post a couple more pictures..

The lattice work that goes on top of the main mast

Kent%2B31.jpg

Don't worry about the slight gap. It will disappear once the piece is installed..

Kent%2B32.jpg

Like this. Don't forget this os all Trumpeter PE so far for this mast work, not the first part I installed though.

Cheers

Warren

• Like 5

Excellent Warren, I'm building Kent straight out of the box but with the addition of some aftermarket railing from Eduard and MK1.

Watch out for those kit part numbers, I've nearly been caught out twice where pure luck has me using the correct bits.

Wait till you get to the main wheels on the Lynx, lost count as to the number of times they've been knocked off. Not a very positive locating point for fixing the wheels to the sponsons!

Just about to spray the antifouling red on the hull.

Humbrol 127 for the sides and Humbrol 164 on deck.

Good to hear you are progressing smoothly sir. I will spray Humbrol 127 on the hull when it gets here, but for the anti-fouling I always seem to use good ole Tamiya XF-9, Hull Red. Speaking of which..

Kent%2B41.jpg

After I took this picture and removed the hull from the booth and folded the booth up I noticed that one side of the hull hadn't got a great covering near the masking tape so I got the booth out again and sprayed another coat on the hull.

Before I sprayed the hull I actually did a bit more PEing..

The radar on the top of the main mast...

Kent%2B42.jpg

And some of the wings that attach to the main mast.

Kent%2B43.jpg

This Trumpeter PE is so fine you have to be very careful while you are bending it that you don't breath on it and bend it wrongly.

So that's it for this weekend's edition of the 'HMS Kent Adventure'.

Cheers for now.

Warren

• Like 6

Very fragile PE, don't think this stuff would give you a second chance if you got it wrong! Had to really study the diagram for the yardarms to get it right!

Time to paint the props.

I am always amazed by your PE work, you must have great eye sight to work with such fine detail,

Andy

Thank you Andy. The secret is my use of an optivisor. My eyes are no where near as good as they were.

Very fragile PE, don't think this stuff would give you a second chance if you got it wrong! Had to really study the diagram for the yardarms to get it right!

Time to paint the props.

It is very fragile Jockster. Where is your blog?

Nice to see the kit built with the kit PE, can't wait to see more.

Thanks mate. I have the WEM set but the kit PE is actually better, as in finer than the WEM stuff. WEM instructions are better though.

The PE set should have the netting for the quarterdeck included. Well the WEM set does anyway, beware they need a tiny bit of trimming

Bruce

Yes Sir the WEM set includes the netting, but none of them have the netting that goes over the holes in the stern.. I couldn't work out a satisfactory way to make them so i just ignored them. :winkgrin:

Cheers everyone

Warren

Soz Warren, I'm no good with computamabobs so putting my stuff on screen takes forever, two left hands, so to speak! I have a lot of stuff to post! I think I need a night class in technology!

Thanks for that Julian. Much appreciated.

And now it is on with the show!!

After a few trials and tribulations the hull red and boot top are done. The grey will get painted again when the new paint arrives.

Kent%2B3.jpg

Sorry for the dodgy photo.

Then we have the continuing story of the main mast..

Kent%2B2.jpg

This is the finest PE I have ever used,, maybe a little too fine.. I think the WEM stuff may be more true to scale. I have two more Type 23s to try the WEM stuff on as I have two sets coming from Atlantic Models.

That's it for now.

More Soon

Cheers

Warren

• Like 1