Gnat's at Abindgon

wellsprop

For those of you who didn't go to Abingdon, what do you think of this?

https://youtu.be/7mt7i9zCs-c

I was there watching and I thought the Gnat had an engine failure or control issue. First off, I think they made the wrong decision to display in such poor weather, but the managed to put on a great show.

I approximated the height of the two aircraft usign the ratio between there wingspan and height of the ground; the lead aircraft seems to be at about 300-350 feet (which is as you'd expect, the minimum height is 300ft for aeros and 100 feet for a few other things IIRC) but the aircraft that dropped was at around 70-80 feet...

Interesting one eh?

Ben

Take it from me as a member of the resident VGS that there are some nasty patches of sink and turbulance off the hangars at Abingdon when the wind blows at the best of times, let alone on the egde of the CB cell that they were displaying in.

• Like 1

It's just rather odd, the pilot must have been was well aware off the descent and certainly was in full control. IIRC the commentator said the pilot of that Gnat was ex RAF, so one would assume that he used his years of experience and for whatever reason ducked down a bit.

My heart skipped a beat though!

Ben