BBMF Lanc had an engine fire today!

Julien

And to think she's just returned from the Netherlands... it doesn't bear thinking about an engine fire over the North Sea...

Edited by tomprobert

One of my wife's customers was a pilot way back when,and he's at coningsby today for the anniversary..I hope he's got some good photos..

Daz

:unsure: Hope it's not going to be too expensive or difficult to fix. The UK airshow circuit wouldn't be the same without our Lanc ^_^

They managed to get Just Jane back in the air pretty quickly, so let's hope for a similar recovery :pray:

• Like 1

:unsure: Hope it's not going to be too expensive or difficult to fix. The UK airshow circuit wouldn't be the same without our Lanc ^_^

They managed to get Just Jane back in the air pretty quickly, so let's hope for a similar recovery :pray:

'Just Jane' is the grounded Lanc at East Kirby.

The BBMF one is 'Thumper'.

They'll have her fixed within a few weeks.

:rant: The BBMF aircraft is 'City of Lincoln'. She just wears 'Thumper's' colours. I think Mike was thinking of the Canadian Lancaster. Anyhow, hopefully she will be back in the air soon. Many Lancasters returned home on three engines, don't forget...

• Like 3

Does not look too bad, however depends on how much heat got back into the wing area.

Glad the crew are OK and they managed to get the aircraft back home, and did not have to put it down in a field somewhere.

I really do hope its confined to the engine and the Lanc is back flying soon, you can guarantee the BBMF guys will do a proper job on getting the aircraft back in the air.

Julien

The BBMF will NDT the entire wing for heat damage etc now and then have to restore the damaged section, then replace the Merlin, they will of course do a perfect job but i bet it takes them a few weeks to get it right and done to their standard , there may well be a fair bit of panel removal etc, more than you would think to ensure it is tip top

'Just Jane' is the grounded Lanc at East Kirby.

The BBMF one is 'Thumper'.

They'll have her fixed within a few weeks.

Sorry - got my lancs mixed up. I meant the Canadian one. Vera :doh:

• Like 1

And to think she's just returned from the Netherlands... it doesn't bear thinking about an engine fire over the North Sea...

Did it 70 years ago! Would of been a bit of a scene seeing her coming in on 3 engines, as said, would of looked a lot like a golden oldie of a box art.

Did it 70 years ago! Would of been a bit of a scene seeing her coming in on 3 engines, as said, would of looked a lot like a golden oldie of a box art.

Agreed, and the Lanc was more than capable of returning on two if flown well.

The point I was trying to make was if it'd caught fire on the return from Holland over the North Sea as it did yesterday, thankfully very close to home and the fire services, then it may have been very different. If the fire couldn't be extinguished by the onboard suppressors, it could have been a case of the fire spreading to the main tanks, and possibly having to ditch the aircraft. Not only would that mean the total loss of a national treasure, but would have put the crew in severe danger, too.

Thankfully she got down safely and will live to fly another day.

Tom

• Like 1

:rant: The BBMF aircraft is 'City of Lincoln'. She just wears 'Thumper's' colours.

Hear hear. All it takes is a colour-scheme with a "cute" name and suddenly everyone's using it...

Here's hoping that this doesn't signal a change in policy and the next scheme is still chosen on the historical merit of the aircraft in question, not any "nose art" it carries.

Hear hear. All it takes is a colour-scheme with a "cute" name and suddenly everyone's using it...

Here's hoping that this doesn't signal a change in policy and the next scheme is still chosen on the historical merit of the aircraft in question, not any "nose art" it carries.

Yup, everybody calls the Lancaster 'Thumper' - including the BBMF

A quote from the official BBMF website; [22 January 2015]

''The Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum's Avro Lancaster, VeRA, flew from Hamilton, Ontario to meet her British counterpart, Thumper — the only other surviving flight worthy Lancaster Bomber in the world — the RAF Battle of Britain Memorial Flight's (BBMF) Lancaster at RAF Coningsby. ''

If the name is good enough for them and the RAF veterans, then its good enough for me to use it.

Yup, everybody calls the Lancaster 'Thumper' - including the BBMF

A quote from the official BBMF website; [22 January 2015]

''The Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum's Avro Lancaster, VeRA, flew from Hamilton, Ontario to meet her British counterpart, Thumper — the only other surviving flight worthy Lancaster Bomber in the world — the RAF Battle of Britain Memorial Flight's (BBMF) Lancaster at RAF Coningsby. ''

If the name is good enough for them and the RAF veterans, then its good enough for me to use it.

It may be referred to as Thumper, even by the BBMF, but the point being that the next time is has a change of markings (hopefully fairly soon, as historically, considering the number of Lanc Sqns in Bomber Command, 617 has been possibly somewhat unfairly, although understandably, overly represented!) it won't be Thumper anymore... I rather hope they introduce a few more of the lesser known Lancaster VCs personally.

"City of Lincoln" is it's "official" name, and the one it has carried for some decades. Just Jane on the other hand, and "Vera" are somewhat different as they remain in the same colour schemes, although Just Jane also has her other dedication as "City of Sheffield".

It is pushing the authenticity envelope a bit far. So glad she got down safely and everyone is okay, BZ to the crew and fire brigade. :goodjob:

An update from the BBMF facebook page;

Good evening here is a a brief post about the progress on the repairs after the problem with the number four engine. As you can appreciate I cannot give you all the details but it is not simply an engine change. There is fire damage to the nacelle panels, engine bearer and associated systems. All this will take time to assess, repair or replace. We hope to have her flying again this year but at this moment we can not say when.

Could be better, but then could have been a lot worse.

• Like 3

I thought the BBMF Lancaster was going to be out of action for the early part of the year for work to be done on the tailplane. Did I misunderstand the article I saw? I can't even recall where I saw it!

Glad PA474 got back safely. Those pics were awesome!

Which reminds me - didn't the BBMF loan an engine to the Canadian Lanc.? I assume it's been returned?

Glad to hear it ended safely for the crew and doesn't look too damaged at all, probably just a damaged oil or fuel line, hopefully they'll have her back and working soon.

Rich