Ever made a mistake and had an "Oh No"" moment?

cruiserguy

Good afternoon Everyone,

Time for some light relief.

I had a couple of hours to kill yesterday and started painting my Duke of York that I am kit bashing with a Tamiya Prince of Wales. It started well and I was really pleased with myself as I painted one side light grey using a brush, and getting better results than I expected. I let it dry, measured some paint, and began painting the other side blissfully unaware that I had picked up Vallejo Stone Grey, which I use for my decks. I sat back and to admire my work, wondered why it was more yellowy-brown than I expected then the penny dropped

Duh! I felt such a fool.

Come on, don't be shy. Has anything like this happened to you.

Best Wishes,

Will.

• Like 1

Oh yeah - and more than once! Last one I remember is getting the Dark Earth and Green reversed on a camo pattern. I called myself a few choice names, I can tell you!

But, at least those kind of mistakes can be rectified...

Happy modelling

Kev

I've glued in any number of parts and - much later on - realized that I really shouldn't have done so...... Oh, why don't I ever the read the instructions properly?

Cheers.

Chris.

Oh, as well as knocking over a number of pots of paint and liquid cement, as I couldn't be bothered to put a lump of Blu-Tack under them first.....

Apparently, I am a grown-up man....

Chris.

Oh yeah! My favourite cockup is reversing the masking so I paint the wrong camo colour in the pattern. Done that a few times...

• Like 1

After investing far too much time into AMT's XB-70 (fill, sand, repeat...) & getting near the final stages I removed the canopy masking to discover that only 5 of the 7 windows had been masked. If I had used only acrylics I would have attempted to correct it, but imagine that the solvent primer most likely made it pointless, so I'm the proud owner of a XB-70 with missing windows....

2nd one was Trumpeters big & complicated 1/72 Tu-160, I had decided to go to town on the detailing to try & do some justice to the kit so tried quite a few new (for me anyway) methods on the way, the cockpit, wells & bays took up more time that I had previously invested into any whole kit...... Anyway, the wings were the first thing to be wrapped up, completely built (60'ish parts a side), glossed, decaled & ready for a final satin-ish finish. I had previously only used Future & flat base for clear work, but decided to use an "archive" product with apparent UV protection to help prevent yellowing down the line - in a moment of complete madness I clear coated both wing tops with said product without any prior testing, it went on well but did dry well (at all).

I had to restrain myself for taking a mash hammer to it, boxed the whole lot up & it's been languishing in my loft for the best part of 3 years now. Who knows, maybe I'll get it finished before Tupolev get the next batch through the production line :pipe:

D2.jpg

Spilling cellulose thinners over the freshly painted bonnet of a Ferrari Daytona, creates a right old mess, I can tell ya.

Oh DAMN, that has GOT to hurt!

Was also foolish enough to pick up the lower fuselage of my BRAND NEW (then, around early 90s, I think) Tamiya 32nd scale F-14A. Got confused when I tried to put it down, and couldn't! Thumb was liberally coated in liquid poly, resulting in a carbon copy of my thumbprint on the underside between the intake tunnels. I was more than a little distraught, I can tell you! :weep:

Kev

I spent several hours last week slowly and very gently lifting a decal (that had been in place for at least a week), with a brush and decal softener, after realizing I'd placed it on upside down - star&bars on a F-18a wing with the pointy bit going the wrong way.

I put a model in a fan assisted oven (set very low) trying to dry the gloss black enamel quicker, began watching a pretty good football game, only after extra time I remembered. Still had the basic shape of a mirage, but all the joints/paint had melted and bubbled :doh: . Never again :D

• Like 2

Last week I felt VERY happy after having made a stupid mistake... because it could have been so much worse.

I picked up my 3 year old daughter enthusiastically and she waved her hands as to greet my enthusiasm... while doing so, she flipped over a speaker standing on the subwoofer. Also on the subwoofer were a piece of 1/350 interior as well as the Krupp Titan engine I had been working on for 160 hours.

The speaker fell down, flattening the 1/350 interior piece I had been working on for 2 hours, and slightly touching the Krupp engine so that it fell over - NOT on the ground (4 feet). The engine (160 hours) was 100% fine, the other piece (2 hours) was wrecked. Reminds me that I shouldn't too easily say "it always happens to me".

Another example, this week: re-drilling holes in a battleship hull. Holes had been drilled before so I can easily see where to drill. 45 former holes in total, 3 of which should NOT be re-drilled.

Forgot to check the backside on which I had marked which 42 holes to re-drill... and of course I managed to choose and drill exactly one of the other 3. Had to be re-filled yet again.

Remarkably, given my previous post, the first thing that went through my mind was "Why do these things always happen to me" :D

Edited by Roy vd M.

Mi'Lord I present:

Exhibit A)

A full, opened bottle of MicroSol.

Exhibit B )

A brand new, as yet untouched 1/48 EagleCals FW 190 decal sheet. The expensive one with the snake on it. JG 10 Schlagenschwarm to be precise.

Exhibit C)

A mug of freshly brewed tea.

I shall explain as concisely as I can:

- mug handle - off it drops

- tea lands upon legs causing much alarm

- rapid upwards movement from seated position

- FW190 launched from desk edge by said movement

- strikes, with amazing precision, full bottle of MicroSol

- swooshes, like a tidal wave, across said decal sheet

Two amazing things then happened: watching a whole sheet go crinkly and float off the paper surface all at the same time; an hour later, realising the varnish has disappeared on a lot of desk surface below, as the 'Sol had crept underneath protective work mat. Much swearing did then ensue.

Edited by al_the_drummer
  • Like 4

I wash aircraft models down with panel wipe every now and then to remove hairs, fibres, grease from handling and other contaminants to keep paint layers pristine and clean prior to clear coats. I keep the 5 litre panel wipe next to the 5 litre cellulose thinners I use when painting with two pack.

The cans look the same, white with black writing.

I was tired.

I used thinners to 'wipe' a Tamiya spitfire last year. Just before the final clear coat.

It still had some rivet and panel detail, but looks like it was coloured in by a four year old high on kinder eggs and armed with sticky crayons. If you squinted at it from 40 feet away, it looked awesome.

My most expensive bin bag job ever.

• Like 1

After spending hours masking and spraying red and white bands and a grey centre on a black tail rotor, I gave it a coat of semi-gloss Mr Super Clear laquer to finish it off. Too much lacquer too soon and the paint crazed and bubbled. I then soaked it in a lid of laquer thinner to remove the mess and start again and the plastic softened and melted. Multiple learning opportunities there.

Andrew

All the above. I got my wife to purloin some surgical gloves from her work because I'm so fed up with picking up models and leaving smudges/grease marks on finished paintwork. Just need to train myself to use them all the time when I pick up nearly finished models

- swooshes, like a tidal wave, across said decal sheet

Ouch, was it a kit sheet or a custom sheet?

Ive had a few in my time.

First time using spray paint on my AMT Romulan Warbird, Id put the head-piece on some newpaper & sprayed, went back inside & the wind had blown the newspaper onto it & stuck, then I had to peel, scrape and re-do.

Another time, id just bought a new cutting mat & whilst I was using my brand new 1 day old bottle of microset, I knocked it over & 3/4 of the bottle had gone all over my new mat, luckily Id got a small syringe & sucked most of the microset off the mat & back into the bottle.

Yet another time, whilst working on my Aoshima Airwolf, I glued the 2 halves together not realising I had to glue the rear stabilising wing in from the inside & had a hard time time cutting the mounting tabs off the wing & pushed it through.

Instantly, I called myself what James May says......

Last year, me and another guy where making a model for a competition within cadets. I was in charge of the painting, and he the construction. Anyway, I speant nearly every hour of spare time I had for 3 weeks doing the cokpit before handing it to my friend to intergrate into the build. You can imagine my horror when messaged me late at night a few days later that he had buggered up... Turns out he had tried to stick the wings on backwards, then covered the entire lower half in poly cement to try and fix it. Needless to say I was miffed!

Most certainly did. Nothing to do with model building though. Happened when I was still sailing. Accidently swapped the toothpaste for Sperti just before going on watch. Believe me, it's a mistake you don't want to make :analintruder::zombie::sick::puke: