Squarehead's Soviet Steel

Really struggled to come up with a subject that I could get done in the little time I've left myself, but I'm hoping this one should tick all the boxes:

DSC01222_zpsgwezmy87.jpg

Unique subject, no need for a platoon.....Check!

Plenty of plastic, no resin or brass.....Check!

Simple monochrome paint-scheme.....Check!

Looks like a goer! :thumbsup:

Been trying to find a video of the real thing, but what I'm looking for is only the briefest clip and it's totally drowned out in my searches by WOT BS.....Have to make do with a still and a small one at that:

kv220_m2_1.jpg

The KV-220 is hanging from the crane.....This is the configuration of the vehicle as it went into battle, with a 76mm armed KV-1 turret.

Underarmed you say.....If you were German you were most likely meeting this thing in a Pz.III armed with a short barrel 5cm gun that had absolutuly no chance of penetrating its armour from any aspect at any realistic range. Suffice it to say that a single well placed round from a soviet 76mm was, at best, unfortunate for an early production Pz.III at anything much under a kilometer.

PS - The more I look at that still the less this looks like a monochrome paint-scheme.....Looks like a white-wash job and a bit thinner on the turret, which would make sense, but might (almost certainly will) scupper a prompt finish. :confused:

• Like 7

Good morning Sarge. Good to see you here with what looks like a rather nice kit! I shall follow with great interest. :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

It must have been green before it was white..... ;)

Cliff

I was kind of hoping they had skipped the green stage on this one and proceeded directly to the white, but hey I've wanted to give the Marmite technique a try.....Now's my chance! :banghead:

I'm really starting to dislike WOT intensely.....Every search I've made has been drowned out by fanboy BS, little of it relevant or even accurate! :wall:

I'm really starting to dislike WOT intensely.....Every search I've made has been drowned out by fanboy BS, little of it relevant or even accurate! :wall:

Try using some 'minus' modifiers in your Google searches. Adding terms like -wot and -world will strip out most if not all WoT results.

regards,

Jason

• Like 1

Did that.....And tried adding some qualifying terms, what I always seem to get is either WOT or Mozart! :confused:

My first step is to tidy up the L&L and build a couple of partial runs around the sprocket.....I'm firmly of the opinion that the tracks maketh the tank so attending to these early and getting them right is worthwhile. The fit of the roadwheels to the hull sides is pretty good so I'll have a look at the possibility of making modular track assemblies, these are always by far the option when it comes to a braille AFV. :nerd:

All very slow going at the moment, we've got painters in and my modelling desk is still covered in bits of my 'Iraqi' Bf-110 and Louis' T-34/85.....The latter is now finished, but the 'wingy-thing' is rather in the way! One of the downsides of kit-bashing is the sheer number of sprues floating about! :shutup:

• Like 1

I'm actually working on it now (and thus spending quite a lot of my time scrabbling around under my computer desk looking for the track links that I keep dropping). I will really need to clear my modelling desk before I can assemble anything though. :blush:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not terribly much to show unless you like HaT/Armourfast kits, I've built quite a few of those with Louis.....I've got a pile of mostly cleaned up running gear bits and that's about it. :blush:

The wind's been quite good recently so I've had the kites out while the opportunity was there.....I barely flew them at all last year and TBH I really needed the exercise. ;)

I've also been helping a friend with a medical tribunal and taking delivery of hospital beds, oxygen machines & tanks etc. in readiness for the alleged return of my dad. :mellow:

Sarge.

I was really saddened when I read this. I'm on a bus on the way into work at the moment so I will send you a PM in a while.

Deepest condolences to you and your family.

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers guys....His passing was as peaceful as you could possibly wish for. :angel:

Louis is staying with us tonight to cheer his grandma up and just for a change we are going to work on one of my tanks.....This one! :winkgrin:

• Like 1

Hey Andy

I've only just caught up with your posts of the last couple of days. I'm really sorry to learn of your Dad's passing, but pleased that it was peaceful.

My condolences to you and all your family.

Regards

Cliff

Progress with the running gear and lower hull tub continues apace:

KV-220%20-%2001_zpsmtus4t4j.jpg

Setting up the roadwheel pairs on the hull side.....The lower hull plate is above, it's basically the parts from their KV-1B kit with an added spacer, I strongly suspect this is exactly how the real vehicle was built, but am unable to confirm this due to a veritable wall of WoT BS! :doh:

The roadwheels are proving hard work as they aren't 100% circular and there seems to be a bit of variation in size.....I need these to be as close to spot-on as possible, because I'm planning on building the tracks as removeable sub-assemblies. I've only done this with Revell before and their L&L is nigh on perfect (so long as you ignore their instructions), PST's is a little cruder, not as rough as the EE parts Cliff battled with, but definitely not as crisp as Revell or new Italeri. The sprockets may also prove a problem due to the way they are mounted, but with care I should be OK. :coolio:

• Like 3

World of Tanks.....Try searching any unusual AFV from WWII; Most of what you will find is fanboys frothing over the vehicle's capabilities in game, which usually have very little basis in reality. I'm sure there are good factual posts in there somewhere, but I can't be arsed to wade through all the drivel to find it. :confused:

The gentle sanding of roadwheels continues.....Once they all touch satisfactorily I'll have a look at doing the single link wraps around the sprockets. If everything lines up OK I should be able to proceed with my modular tracks plan. Adding the distinctive sag to the top run will complicate matters slightly, but a KV just looks wrong without it. I've got lots (& lots & lots) of PST KV track, so I may yet make the upper run out of a series of short lengths and single links. :nerd:

• Like 2

Adding the distinctive sag to the top run will complicate matters slightly, but a KV just looks wrong without it

I may not be an armour modeller but even I know this.

• Like 1