French Infantryman 1917 - Fini!

This is a resin kit, casting quality looks very good in terms of blemishes, pinholes and such. Included are three pages of instructions, with each piece of the soldier's gear described along with colour suggestions, all provided in paragraph form.

17345191126_d8f2f993c7_b.jpg

Most cleanup will be the pour plugs, and although those located at the bottom of the feet are designed so they insert into the base, the area in between the heels and sole should be hollowed out. I just removed it all, and filled in the two holes in the base, and added some brass pins to attach the figure after painting.

Only other prep work was to add a button (green putty), and about three pinholes had to be filled in along the bottom edge of the greatcoat. Since there is a spare head provided, I've also utilized some green putty to give a bit more character to the sides of the mustache.

17345189346_dfb9e586e3_b.jpg

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG
  • Like 1

Never heard of that figurine manufacturer before, but the casting and details look rather tasty!

That should be a fairly quick build for a great result.

Enjoy!

JR

• Like 2

Looks a very well cast figure and I wish they all came with such a comprehensive painting guide!

• Like 1

Thank you Jean, Natter, and Andrew.

The base is all but complete. The four sides will be painted black, and I might add another layer of acrylic future clear to try and level better the puddle. As mentioned, the instructions are fairly extensive in terms of the written word. Case in point, it describes the ground as representing a slope leading to Chemin des Dames. It is suggested the upturned soil is a light brown/beige colour.

17435345621_945128791f_b.jpg

The horizon blue on the figure is laid down, along with some shadow and highlights. Once I paint in the belts and straps, I'll know better if I need further contrast for the uniform.

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

Base is done, straps are painted, ammo pouches attached - there is also one located on the rear. The original gas mask containers were made of tin, samples could be found in blue-grey or khaki colour. Upon cleaning up some of the chipping, a flake of paint came off. Quick fix was to apply some graphite to the exposed area, but will have to go back in with some paint colour.

16993136033_35056d75e1_b.jpg

regards,

Jack

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Sometimes it's good to have a deadline imposed by someone other than myself, as this one might of languished into the fall season. Summer weather has just kept me too preoccupied, but I made an effort this weekend to spend time at the work bench and finish this figure.

From what I gather on my study on insignia, this ia a French Infantryman of the 115th Regiment. The single red strip on the lower arm denotes the rank of a private 1st Class. The blue chevrons on the upper arm represent years of service. The top one is for one year, while the subsequent ones are six months each, for a total of 2.5 years. The collar tabs are the final type introduced January 10th, 1917. On his chest is pinned the Croix de Guerre, along with a star on the ribbon, indicating this soldier has been awarded this medal twice.

19479155598_8989fde53c_b.jpg

19667178315_795ee5e43c_b.jpg

19660089162_d30197dd82_b.jpg

19480550349_c95c672266_b.jpg

19480550599_82be9acf56_b.jpg

19044608284_05200f981b_b.jpg

regards,

Jack

• Like 2

Another figure - and a very nice one at that. I had wondered what had happened to him, and I'm really glad he made it to the party in time to celebrate Bastille Day.

• Like 1

Dave, Enzo, Andrew, and Misterfriend - thanks guys.

Yeah, it wasn't my intention to have the face turn out as it did, but it certainly evokes a caricature of some kind.

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

Brilliant paint job!

The face is just fine! God knows what we'd look like after 3 to 4 years in the trenches, plus all the fun in between!

These guys were sure resilient, irrespective which uniform they wore. That sure would wake up the never happy segment of today's youth!!!! God, do I sound old...

Congrat!

JR

• Like 2