Tamiya XF-86 clear matt coat - input and thoughts required

Homerlovesbeer

Very quickly guys,

I'm putting the final matt coat on my model tomorrow and was wondering who's used this and what the results were. Did you thin it, if so how much and what with?

Cheers

Homer

Edited by Homerlovesbeer

If it's as good as their gloss cote then you're on to a winner. I use Tamiya paint most of the time, thinned about 60/40 with their own thinners but water will also work.

• Like 1

Yes and I have found it very good.

Needs a good stir obviously and I use GS thinner about 50/50, but I use GS thinner on all Tamiya paints as it works just as well as with GS own paints, but I am sure it works well with their own brand.

As Avro 638 says their gloss coat is also good and having tried others I feel this is the best for a hard crystal clear gloss finish.

• Like 1

The Mr Color thinner is for Mr Color lacquer-based paints and will not work with aqueous paints, the first bottle you posted will, although I have not used it myself to be fair. I use water or isopropyl alcohol to thin my acrylics, be they Gunze, Tamiya, Vallejo or Games Workshop. The alcohol works better by the way.

• Like 1

You absolutely can (and should - they perform better) thin Aqueous and Tamiya paints with Mr. Color's lacquer thinner. It works on their clears too...though I've not used their matte.

Edited by jimmydel
  • Like 1

I use mr levelling thinner With tamiya paints, its very headache inducing though so have all the windows open.

The smell of that stuff really effects me strongly. It burns my throat and makes me gasp fo air. I always use a respirator.

News update...I think I've managed to completely bork my model up at the final matt coating stage. :weep:

If I was after the effect of recently flying through a dust storm I achieved it perfectly............

Before

finished_zpsu86iurey.jpg

After

finish%20matt%202_zpsgzzmekbv.jpg

finish%20matt%203_zpsooxm2ve4.jpg

Edited by Homerlovesbeer

Sorry guys, didn't know the lacquer thinner worked with the aqueous paints... I've found Mr Color paints to be very fussy about what thins them and I suppose I extended that fussiness to the stuff that actually does thin them!

• 2 weeks later...

News update...I think I've managed to completely bork my model up at the final matt coating stage. :weep:

If I was after the effect of recently flying through a dust storm I achieved it perfectly............

Before

finished_zpsu86iurey.jpg

After

finish%20matt%202_zpsgzzmekbv.jpg

finish%20matt%203_zpsooxm2ve4.jpg

What's the problem? Looks very very matt. If it's got roughness give it a wet sand with very fine sandpaper after its properly cured then try again! I use spraycan because I'm rich and lazy.

But mostly just lazy.

• Like 1