1/72nd scale Blackburn Beverley - update 3rd Aug

My entry into this Group Build is going to be Sanger's 1/72nd scale Blackburn Beverley. The reason I have chosen this particular model is the fact that there's not too much of an interior to worry about scratch-building, thus it shouldn't take too long to put together and will hopefully be completed by the official end of the GB... well that's the plan anyway!

The model is crisply moulded and comes in the following format:

Fuselage halves along with the engine nacelles:

17172626539_171057e0bb.jpg

Inner and outer wing sections, along with some undercarriage components and a vertical stabiliser:

17171043388_8c49cbfdc9.jpg

More wing, horizontal stabilisers and undercarriage components:

17171042848_608bd0c91c.jpg

White metal propellers, wheels and some cockpit bits and bobs, plus the canopies:

17151384157_c8334390d9.jpg

And finally an instruction leaflet and a set of decals, which look past their best so will need replacing:

17358480331_7d6e03f723.jpg

I haven't done much research into colour schemes yet, but I feel a mid-stone/dark earth over black scheme would be an attractive option... time will tell.

Good luck to everyone with their builds - there's some exciting projects in this GB :)

Tom

Edited by tomprobert
  • Like 14

How wonderful. I have fond memories of seeing a Beverley - that I now know to be XB261 - sitting at Southend Airport when I was a lad in the 70's. I regularly used to cycle over to the airport and the Beverley seemed huge and exotic :)

Added by edit: I'd just like to stress that we are talking the late 70's :)

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 2

Hi Tom, welcome aboard (well you are meant to show up! :D ).

You had me worried at first when I saw the title that you had something small and simple! But I had forgotten how big the Beverley's were!

The moulding does look very crisp in the photo's, hopefully the white metal bits are just as nice.....and those decals, best avoid water with those! I like the colour scheme you're thinking about.

Well good luck with your build, I hope your "official" duties won't eat into you build time and I know you well really enjoy this GB....after waiting for one for so long!

Cheers chaps - Rich the kit is lovely and white metal parts are well moulded, too. All being well, this one shouldn't pose too many problems.

I've been 'at the bench' this morning and took advantage of a lovely sunny day to get in the garden and sand the fuselage halves down - sanding dust all over the house never goes down well with the missus, you see.

17180501039_fa2a861456.jpg

I've also drilled out all of the windows, so now work can commence on building an internal structure.

Should be fun :)

Tom

• Like 6

There were some aircraft of real character about in those days, the Beverley was definitely one of them. Good luck with the build Tom, with your pedigree it should prove a breeze if those mouldings are any indication.

Max

• Like 1

Love the Beverley so I hope it goes well for you.

I've just scanned and uploaded about 50 photos of the one that was at the Beverley army museum which might be useful to you. I'll get Julian to add them to the Walkaround section but until then you can access them with this link

Looking forward to seeing it completed.

Steve

I know a chap who would love this build, he is ex RAF and RAAF and used to load Beverlies . He had many a war story to tell about them, their reliability and speed :D

Looking forward to the build Tom

Looks like I will do a 1/72 BAC 1-11 or HS-748 for my build. Now time to dig them out of the stash.

• Like 1

Love the Beverley so I hope it goes well for you.

I've just scanned and uploaded about 50 photos of the one that was at the Beverley army museum which might be useful to you. I'll get Julian to add them to the Walkaround section but until then you can access them with this link

Looking forward to seeing it completed.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Those pictures are a gold-mine of information - many thanks for sharing!

Tom

Hi Steve,

Those pictures are a gold-mine of information - many thanks for sharing!

Tom

No problem, they were taken for a proposed kit that never happened and later used for the Magna kit. It was only when I saw your thread that I remembered I'd got them so thought I'd get them into the Walkaround section for anyone building this monster.

How thin has the wing root plastic gone? Everyone of those kits I've ever looked at it has been like tissue paper at the roots!

It just had to be something big, didn't it lol ;) I honestly didn't know Sanger did a Beverley either! If I ever built one, it would be XB295..

At least it's only 1/72 given Tom's previous builds, just imagine this in 1/48 or 1/32..............

XB259 is the one I'm going to do my Magna kit as and in the scheme in your link. Also the only complete survivor as in my photos.

Steve

Great choice, I have a picture (which naturally I now can't find!) of a whole Canberra fuselage being loaded into one of these to be transported.

Looking forward to this one, with you all the way

Cheers Pat

Gosh it carried passengers in the boom/tail assembly and rearward facing as well!

gee it was unusual and big!!

Sad story that a soldier died coming out of toilet in rear of boom and fell through a trap to runway below. I believe that prompted a re design but somebody on here will I am sure confitm/deny this.

How thin has the wing root plastic gone? Everyone of those kits I've ever looked at it has been like tissue paper at the roots!

Steve

Hi Steve,

It's not too bad actually - although I have done some reinforcing just in case!

It just had to be something big, didn't it lol ;) I honestly didn't know Sanger did a Beverley either! If I ever built one, it would be XB295..

That's a lovely scheme, but my heart is set on the mid-stone/dark earth over black - it looks very business-like to my eye in those colours.

Sad story that a soldier died coming out of toilet in rear of boom and fell through a trap to runway below. I believe that prompted a re design but somebody on here will I am sure confitm/deny this.

If true I'm not surprised - that boom appears to be quite a height!

Anyway, on to a little progress... I've not had as much time at the bench as I'd like due to work, but I've made up a rough interior structure from plastic card this week to 1) provide a little extra structural strength, and 2) to stop it looking completely hollow and transparent.

17380716249_276cf7e5bd_z.jpg

Next up is to spray the insides black, bung some weight in the nose, and stick it together.

Until next time,

Tom

• Like 5

Morning all :)

A bit more progress on the Beverley... the fuselage had been sprayed black inside to avoid the empty, hollow look, and the halves have been joined together.

I've also cut out the apertures for the cockpit glazing to be fitted later in the build, as well as the section of glazing in the extreme nose. All joins were reinforced with plastic strip, and then had a lick of P38 car body filler. This has since been sanded and the joints given a quick coat of Halford's white primer - there's a blemish or two to sort but nothing major... success!

17578249728_d405b2063f_z.jpg

17578502820_8cab80a377_z.jpg

17739708186_3c2a737983_z.jpg

Well when I said no blemishes or major problems... that was a little white lie - whilst shaping the rear cargo door area I did get a little over-excited and managed to sand through the bottom of the rear boom. Oops. Still, nothing a bit of filler can't fix next time it's out...

17766458521_f1262c743c_z.jpg

Until next time,

Tom

• Like 9

Can't wait to see this one painted Tom, always loved this plane since seeing the one they used to have outside Hendon.

Cheers, Neil. I've never seen one in the flesh, so this model is as good as it's likely to get for me!

• 2 weeks later...

As well as working on other builds I've been beavering away with the Beverley...

The wing sections were removed from the backing sheet and sanded to the correct thickness, using the fuselage wing roots to guide me:

18011203858_5b87c91fbd_c.jpgS1030339 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

The outer section are moulded as separate pieces, which allows the builder to set the outer dihedral correctly. An initial dry fit revealed that the parts fit very well indeed:

18172599366_2d9a262c7a_c.jpgS1030341 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

I then set about making internal spars as it's a large wing. The inner sections had box-spars made from 1mm plastic card, and the outer sections, being smaller just needed a single spar. I allowed a protrusion from these outer sections with the dihedral built in to the spars, making sure both wings had identical dihedral. These then slot into the inner section spar for a very solid join:

18195447752_2af2a30cd8_c.jpgS1030343 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

The joins were then made good, and now we have a set of wings:

17576465044_b1eaebe249_c.jpgS1030349 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

The main parts of the kit are slowly coming together:

17576463364_a1829dee42_c.jpgS1030354 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

I'm having lots of fun with this, and the simplicity of this build is proving to be quite refreshing :)

Tom

• Like 10