Dornier Do 215 B5, scratch conversion from Monogram, 1/72

Hi,

Of on my (edit - I raplaced "younger" to "more recent", not to confuse) work - just ten years (edit_ means- ten year ago). In times when no Do 215 wa as kit on market I made a scrach work to produce Do 215 B5 night fighter out of Monogram Do 17 Z. New nose including light and radar, whole engines - but also I corrected too large wing chord of Monogram kit. Result is not as nice as surely one can produce now from ICM kit (I heard on BM that also with some effort needed to corret flaws), Anyway - I hope you will enjoy. I was trying to remove silvering of original stencil decals but gave up... sorry for this.

Markings are of II/NJG 2 (R4+DC) based in Leeuwarden, Netherlands in summer 1942, came basicly from drawer.

Comments welcome

Jerzy-Wojtek

do 215 DSC03997do 215 DSC03998do 215 DSC04000

do 215 DSC04002

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 6

No, Mitch, unfortunately - I made it about ten or twelve years ago :) My "productions" when I was ten were a bit different...

• Like 1

Nice one.

How did you do the conversion? I might put my RoG reissues of the Monogram kit to some use, with the new Airfix Do 17Z kit being top choice now...

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 1

Thank you Bernd and Andre for comments. Andre - I agree, going now back to Monogram kit would be not reasonable. My almost all conversions, which results I posted on BM during last year, also in majority non based on an aftermarket parts but a scratch build. I use plans (drawings), analyzing them and photos of course tryind to understand if plans are having support in real life.

Here in case of nose and engines I did a rough construction from 1 mm plastic sheet or other plastic elements (from spare box), and then added Humbrol filler, sanding, adding next filler to get desired shape.

Unfortunately very sendomly I did photo documentation of work - but some single photos from not finished work I posted here with for example construction of Wellington Mk VI, Percival Q6 Petrel, Northrop Delta, DH Fox Moth and Junkers G23. The cases of Percival Vega Gull and DH Dragonfly (and not finished yet DH Dragon) I reported much wider here in WIP. I encourage to try this - this brings a lot fun of modelling! :). I am thinking on Douglas B23 (another Dragon!) - and currently I am doing Hawker Hart family converting AZ and Avis/Amodel kits...

Edit: I found link to monography from 1997, which I used (drawings for B4 and B5 versions ) as main source for doing conversion:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dornier-215-Do-Janusz-Ledwoch/dp/B00EO14LYW

Cheers

Jerzy-Wojtek

Edited by JWM
  • Like 2

Mitch - AFAIR - actually I was ten when I did my first scratch work - I reshaped Polish old kit of PZL-23 Karas (much worse than Heller one) following some article and I was just a year or two older with some other works like first attempts to do PZL 43, IAR-80 etc..., Luckly - they does not exist :)

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1