1/72 Scottish Aviation Twin Pioneer

Welcome aboard Dave, and that's something I haven't seem before!!

See's an interesting looking aircraft and should look pretty nice when completed, will you be doing it in the scheme we can see? Nice to see you have done some prep work, think most of the VacForm builders will get the cutting out out of the way before the build starts (think some of the resin builders will do something similar....I have).

Look forward to seeing her completed, good luck with the build and hope it's an enjoyable one.

Thanks for the encouragement. I would like to get hold of a Magna Models Twin Pin, as they have decals covering several different schemes, including the Air Atlantic example at Coventry. I could then do two Twin Pioneers, or would that be a Quad Pioneer?

I have a couple of other kits at the same stage as backup, the Contrail Hampden in 1/48 and the Broplan Sentinel in 1/72.

Cheers, looking forward to getting started.

Thanks for the encouragement. I would like to get hold of a Magna Models Twin Pin, as they have decals covering several different schemes, including the Air Atlantic example at Coventry. I could then do two Twin Pioneers, or would that be a Quad Pioneer?

I have a couple of other kits at the same stage as backup, the Contrail Hampden in 1/48 and the Broplan Sentinel in 1/72.

Cheers, looking forward to getting started.

I would save your money on getting the Magna one and see if you can get hold of another vacform Twin Pioneer

Nice choice! Hallam Vacs are a new one on me. Any background on the company please?

Cheers

Cliff

Hallam vacs were a product of Ron Firth, who was behind PAM News, a semi-professional modelling magazine which ran for several years and had its devoted followers. I think there were only a few kits produced: the Brigand was tempting but I gather it had the wing section upside down. I do feel that the Twin Pin was an obvious subject for Matchbox that somehow got away.
  • Like 1

Looking forward to following this build.

I was lucky enough to take a flight out of Blackpool, Squires Gate Airport many years ago in a Twin Pin. It appeared to rotate within 100ft and landed even shorter. The pilot reckoned he could just about land in the width of the runway.

Regards

Reggie

Work now started. Fixing tabs, bulkheads and cockpit floor fitted and glued. Cabin floor and roof shaped and tried for size:

P5060048_zpsyr6jsr0c.jpg

Wing outer panels glued, taped to centre section and engine nacelles placed on to get some idea of sizing. Horizontal stabilizer glued :

P5060049_zpsrzqnopog.jpg

Oh grandma, what big wings you've got! (Too much Bingo)

P5060050_zps94cljley.jpg

• Like 2

Still looking for interior shots of the cabin in RAF service. Have one from Google showing three stretchers and webbing seats. If anyone has some others, I'd be most grateful.

Cheers

You've made some good progress with this.

Are you going to add detail to the main cabin or are the side windows to small to see anything?

I hope to do some interior detailing, with the side door open, and the view through the cockpit.

Ask Cosford if they've any interior views of theirs.

Thanks for the suggestion. It's more views of the interior in use that I'm after. The picture I have found so far is of a suitably worn and messy cabin, possibly just back from a Casevac.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hi, much to my disappointment, having had a very close contact with a bloke carrying a scythe, I wo't get finished in time for the Group Build. I will however make certain to continue posting progress reports. Best of luck to the rest of you!

Dave

Hi Dave, hopefully it wasn't too serious and doesn't keep you away from modeling for to long!

The build thread will remain open so you can continue on with your build when yon are able, I'm sure there are plenty of members who were following this build with interest and love to see it completed.

Best wishes on your recovery.