Shipwreck

Should have guessed you had made one Bob!

Again you take my breath away with your work.

If I was younger you would have inspired me to try something like this but now at 70 with Carpel tunnel syndrome and arthritis in my hands it is now impossible. Ordinary plastic modelling takes 3 times what it did. My only adventures in nautical things when I was young (8-11)was motor driven balsa wood boats(no R?/C then) from Rip Max. All balsa wood and some sort of dope that smelt of bananas if I recall correctly(I could be wrong on the smell). Hard chine boats were the easiest but my Father would stand over me and I dreaded the words" Thats not right,do it again"! Really that should have put me off modelling for life but here I still am.

PS my boats never sank :lol:

I got Tennis Elbow last summer that was quite painful, also something wrong with two fingers in my right hand (continually stinging). I got one of those "Pain Gone" Medi-Direct pens, that fire a bolt of static into you when you press a button. I got immediate relief from it, and after about four months, both conditions were completely cured! Have been OK since November, with no recurrences. But I have got out of the habit of model shipbuilding, and not done much since last summer. I am now 71, and have seen a rapid decline in my type of model over the past few years. Modellers are very interested in seeing them, but very few even try to build them, simply declaring "I could never do that!" Consequently, I have no-one to compare notes with on techniques and materials, and am more and more turning to other things. At the moment, I am designing and building a four-valve radio set. My final contribution to the miniature ship model scene is to be my book "Miniature Shipbuilder 2015," that is to be published in about 9 days time. It has already been printed, and in the next few days will be cut, trimmed, and bound. I probably will build more ship models, but nowhere near the amount I once did. At one time, I would build 13 or 14 a year!

Bob

• 4 weeks later...