lovely job mate! Did you spray the edges freehand? Looks perfect.

David

No, sir. I used poster tac.

Classic F-4 is SEA camo, looks superb. The detail on this kit is excellent, every post reveals some new area with fine surface detail, very nice. Very glad I picked up the Eduard 1/48 Good Evening Da Nang release that is based on this kit. Looking forward to seeing more of this one.

It's a great kit. You'll enjoy it. The Good Evening Da Nang kit relaesed a couple weeks after I bought my stuff...just my luck lol...I knew it was coming, but I figured if I waited for it I'd be waiting until August :D Just an excuse for another :D

• Like 2

Yup. That's the gist of it. I spray the base color then I lighten the base. Actually I tint some white with the base and mottle it onto the surface. Then I darken the base and highlight panel lines. Finally I go back with the base color highly thinned and blend things in. I do all this in one sitting using Mr. Color.

Cool - in 1 sitting - Mr Color is acrylic? so I expect you can spray the light/dark and blend in quite quickly? It that brand now known as Mr Hobby?

I tend to use Xtracolor or Humbrol Enamels so I suppose I would have to wait for the base to dry, sprat light and dark, dry and blend....bit more time consuming.....never used Acrylics, maybe its time to try!

Edited by Tim Moff

Cool - in 1 sitting - Mr Color is acrylic? so I expect you can spray the light/dark and blend in quite quickly? It that brand now known as Mr Hobby?

I tend to use Xtracolor or Humbrol Enamels so I suppose I would have to wait for the base to dry, sprat light and dark, dry and blend....bit more time consuming.....never used Acrylics, maybe its time to try!

No no. I'm using the Mr. Color which is lacquer. The Hobby Color is the acrylic line by Gunze. It's been several years now since we've stopped being able to get Hobby Color domestically in the US...I believe it is a labeling issue...

Lacquer is a lot like acrylics in their drying time. They are dry to the touch in moments after spraying unless you use something with retarder in it like Mr. Leveling Thinner....even then it's touch ready in a few minutes.

I use Model Master enamels too. I thin them with lacquer thinner as well. That cuts the drying time some, but you still need to be careful with handling. That being said. I usually will do all three steps at once: base, shade, blend. It may be best to wait it out...but..."ain't nobody got time for that." :)

So I worked on getting the green bands on and some other detail painting. The bands are bordered by white. I figured it'd be easier to lay the green down and then mask for the white.

I'm still on the fence as to whether I think the green is too bright. It's dang close to the Collings Foundation Phantom, but you know what they say about restorations. The Collings Phantom also doesn't have the full canopy frames painted...which can clearly be seen on the real OY463 period photos. I think maybe the high gloss finish of the enamel paint is making it worse, so when I get it toned down if it's too bright I'll use some filter magic to tone it down.

Did the red areas along the flaps with some Vallejo red and a brush.

untitled-1-7_zpshy169rsf.jpg

untitled-4-5_zpsklw2zobe.jpg

Got the nose dolled up

untitled-2-8_zpshmso6uen.jpg

Tanks and pylons were done with the body, but I got some gloss on those so here they are.

untitled-3-6_zpsmlbtagru.jpg

• Like 5

The Hobby Color is the acrylic line by Gunze. It's been several years now since we've stopped being able to get Hobby Color domestically in the US...I believe it is a labeling issue...

I buy mine off an ebay seller in Croatia, of all places.

• Like 1

Jimmy, few questions, if you don't mind (might be 'important' since this build appears to be very important to you too):

- Are you building OY 463 as of, say 'spring 1972'?

- Or, as on that photo you've posted in your first post?

Namely, as of, say, May 1972, this F-4D was not even compatible with AIM-9Js. I.e. during most of her air combats she was armed with AIM-4D Phalcons (usually just one on inboard side of inboard underwing pylons, for a total of two, and usually in combination with at least one ALQ-87 jammer pod), and AIM-7 Sparrows.

Most of her kills were scored by AIM-7E-2 Sparrows. This variant was easily recognizable by black 'Ls' on its wings.

(Think to recall that it was only during the last mission in which this Phantom scored, in October 1972, that it carried AIM-9J Sidewinders and an ALQ-101 ECM-pod in front left Sparrow bay.)

Finally, 67-463 was one of only 20 F-4Ds equipped with APX-80 Combat Tree enemy-IFF-interrogator. On its own, this means nearly nothing 'special' for the outside look of the aircraft - except for a quite obvious 'warning' stencil, usually applied on the left splinter plate (this was denoting a self-desctructor system for the APX-80).

• Like 1

Jimmy, few questions, if you don't mind (might be 'important' since this build appears to be very important to you too):

- Are you building OY 463 as of, say 'spring 1972'?

- Or, as on that photo you've posted in your first post?

Namely, as of, say, May 1972, this F-4D was not even compatible with AIM-9Js. I.e. during most of her air combats she was armed with AIM-4D Phalcons (usually just one on inboard side of inboard underwing pylons, for a total of two, and usually in combination with at least one ALQ-87 jammer pod), and AIM-7 Sparrows.

Most of her kills were scored by AIM-7E-2 Sparrows. This variant was easily recognizable by black 'Ls' on its wings.

(Think to recall that it was only during the last mission in which this Phantom scored, in October 1972, that it carried AIM-9J Sidewinders and an ALQ-101 ECM-pod in front left Sparrow bay.)

Finally, 67-463 was one of only 20 F-4Ds equipped with APX-80 Combat Tree enemy-IFF-interrogator. On its own, this means nearly nothing 'special' for the outside look of the aircraft - except for a quite obvious 'warning' stencil, usually applied on the left splinter plate (this was denoting a self-desctructor system for the APX-80).

The decal sheet depicts the aircraft after it's 5th kill in August of '72. I'm loading it with Aim-9Bs and Aim-7Es with Mk 82s. I don't know how plausible that is or isn't but that isn't too terribly important to me. I do appreciate the info though. I'll need to get some reference for that stencil so I can get it sorted. :)

Finally an update of sorts.

Most work has been dealing with little nusiances like touching up paint etc, but I got some gloss down over the weekend and began decals last night.

I started with the "463" specific decals from the Microscale sheet. It was very bittersweet. I've had this decal sheet AT LEAST 15 years waiting for this project. It's possible it's been longer. I was pleasantly surprised by their quality too...given the age. They were a little fragile, but they went on nicely and started to mostly settle into things on their own. You can see a little Solvaset pooled up at the bottom of the O. They took one application and were painted on smooth.

BF45FF11-809C-4F9B-A912-BC5E666B1015_zps

I let those dry real good before handling it anymore and then moved to the stencils. I'm guessing there's going to be close to 500 on here. The stencil sheet is numbered 1 to 262. Most decals are at least doubles with some being multiple. It's going to be slow going because it's tedious and really wears my eyes out. This is about as much as I could get in the first go. Decal sheet shows just how much is left.

491D946B-AC7C-437D-B08B-F7ED3EA6972A_zps

Forgive the cell phone...my eyes were on fire so I didn't bother with the camera.

Edited by jimmydel
  • Like 6

The decal sheet depicts the aircraft after it's 5th kill in August of '72. I'm loading it with Aim-9Bs and Aim-7Es with Mk 82s. I don't know how plausible that is or isn't but that isn't too terribly important to me. I do appreciate the info though. I'll need to get some reference for that stencil so I can get it sorted. :)

There should be (and quite a famous at that) a photo of Steve Ritchie (or was it his backseater?) leaning on boarding ladders: the stencil in quesiton can be seen right next to him, on the splinterplate, and right bellow two kill-markings.

There should be (and quite a famous at that) a photo of Steve Ritchie (or was it his backseater?) leaning on boarding ladders: the stencil in quesiton can be seen right next to him, on the splinterplate, and right bellow two kill-markings.

Great. I know what photo you're talking about. I've got it in a couple of books. Never noticed I don't guess. I'll have a look. Hopefully I can find something suitable. The Microscale sheet may have it on there.

Excellent paint work! Really impressive! And great tips for getting the tonal variations within each colour. I'll try that as soon as possible in a future build. I've been trying post-shading but not as thoroughly or as consistently as yours.

Congrats :goodjob:

Jaime

Finally an update of sorts.

Most work has been dealing with little nusiances like touching up paint etc, but I got some gloss down over the weekend and began decals last night.

I started with the "463" specific decals from the Microscale sheet. It was very bittersweet. I've had this decal sheet AT LEAST 15 years waiting for this project. It's possible it's been longer. I was pleasantly surprised by their quality too...given the age. They were a little fragile, but they went on nicely and started to mostly settle into things on their own. You can see a little Solvaset pooled up at the bottom of the O. They took one application and were painted on smooth.

I let those dry real good before handling it anymore and then moved to the stencils. I'm guessing there's going to be close to 500 on here. The stencil sheet is numbered 1 to 262. Most decals are at least doubles with some being multiple. It's going to be slow going because it's tedious and really wears my eyes out. This is about as much as I could get in the first go. Decal sheet shows just how much is left.

Forgive the cell phone...my eyes were on fire so I didn't bother with the camera.

I feel your pain, when I done my Lakenheath F4D it took forever!!

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, this one has lingerd too long. The stencils took five bench sessions. That was just for the sake of my sanity. When they were all done I gave it a gloss coat and a panel line was with Ammo of Mig and some subtle streaking. Coated it with Alclad Light Sheen.

I've started adding fiddly bits. I need to do some airbrush work, but my compressor crapped out Friday, so I've ordered a new one I expect Tuesday.

untitled-1-8_zpsn1umrhyj.jpg

untitled-3-7_zpsveuatwe3.jpg

untitled-4-6_zpsm3gtmbnm.jpg

untitled-6-2_zps9annuuhj.jpg

• Like 6

Really stunning work! :goodjob:

Look forward to seeing it finished. I hope the new compressor arrives in time.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1