1:350 Arleigh Burke class (Type IIa) - Dragon or Trumpeter?

bootneck

I managed to get some close in views of a visiting Arleigh Burke class ship at the weekend and would like to get a kit to build a model of her.

The ship is USS Michael Murphy DDG-112, the later version type IIa (with hangar) and I see that there are two kits available of that type: Dragon and Trumpeter's USS Momsen.

Anyone have experience of these kits that could advise me which is the better one to get?

Thanks for any assistance with this.

Mike

DDG-112_USS_Michael_Murphy_01.jpg

Definitely Trumpeter. Go for the Forrest Sherman boxing if you can, it's the most modern version of the Flight IIA with the correct 5"/62 turret and no CIWS.

The vessel I photographed had CIWS so would like to get a kit which is the nearest to this fit. Would the Momsen or Forrest Sherman be the better kit of correct parts?

Mike

DDG-112_Michael_Murphy_523_resized.jpg

DDG-112_Michael_Murphy_813_resized.jpg

Looking at your pic showing the RHIB suggests this ship doesn't have the remote minehunting system, which is a feature of the Momsen kit, so you should probably still get the Forrest Sherman and add CIWS on the relevant mounts. You might have to build the rear mount platform from scratch as I don't think it's in the FS boxing.

The Lassen boxing has the correct superstructure configuration but the wrong funnels! The Dragon kit also has the RMS housing which rules it out too.

Edited by Brokenedge

I have the Forrest Sherman in my stash. I know the CWIS are in the kit, just not called out in the instructions. I presume the mounts are also there but can check if I can find a set of instructions for one of the versions with the CWIS as part of the build.

I plan on doing mine as the fictional Nathan James from the TV show The Last Ship

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, although I'm still a bit unsure as which one to get. I see that there is another one, by Dragon, called USS Prebble??

I'm back from my little jaunt to the Far East but the brain is still somewhat addled by the long flight. Perhaps I'll be able to think better and work out which one is right after the weekend.

thanks again

Mike

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I am reviving this thread hoping to find out about how to add the modernizations that have been incorporated into the Flight IIa Arleigh Burkes - regarding the Trumpeter USS FORREST SHERMAN.

I understand all these ships by now have a Phalanx station on a new superstructure behind/below the rear main superstructure. I think I have detected the Phalanx on the sprues, but:

a) do not know which parts all belong to it and how to assemble them

B) about the mentioned superstructure - may the parts for it be included in the kit (I think I would only find out when all the other sidewalls and roofs have been used - it's all a bit confusing to me on the sprues)?

So you see I am by no means an expert and only do the occasional 1/350 ship model. If anyone could provide me an excerpt from a Trumpeter instruction with the Phalanx assembly...that would be nice. And of course if anyone nows about this superstructure it is mounted on...as mentioned by someone above I might have to scratchbuild it...

In short - I would be grateful for any information about the CIWS on actual Flight IIa AB's.

Ingo

Hi Ingo,

I'm also working on the 1/350 USS Forrest Sherman and wanted to make some upgrades including the CIWS.

So here is what I have learnt and done so far.

I used parts N16 and N17 to form the rear superstructure with the part of the CIWS housing. I then cut N2 using the bottom to make the bottom of the CIWS housing and the top to make the housing above CIWS mount. You will only need to manufacture the roof of the CIWS housing then.

I also trimmed the top of N16 & N17 to make the funnel top flat.

There are parts for a CIWS in the kit but I used the superb after market kit made by Veteran models where they supply 4 Phalanx CIWS per box with photoetch and FLIR attachment.

Here are some pics and hope this has helped :)

Hope this makes sense and helps,

Paul

20160228_132614%20model%20pic_zpsacedafc20160228_132625%20model%20pic_zpsxkw5nas20160228_132605%20model%20pic_zpsewvlxbs20160228_133109%20model%20pic_zpshgfqcin20160228_133128%20model%20pic_zpsuq2sj3z

Edited by Herkybird
  • Like 2

• 6 months later...