paint conversion

shaunc

Hi everyone

I am quite new to modeling.I have just purchased an air brush. I have been reading on the forum about differen paint types. My question is if I had an air fix model it would tell me what humberol paints to use. But from what I read they don't spray very well. So if I wanted to use another paint brand what is a good conversion chart to use. Also does anyone know what is the best paint brand for spraying in acrylic. Thanks

The Creative Models website has a conversion chart and several can be found searching he internet. IPMS Stocklhom have a good conversion table too.

Thanks Sailor boy, I read this thread and have saved their site as a Fav.

Simon.

There's no best paint for spraying, there are however paints that are best for each modeller, as personal experience makes a lot of difference. For this reason, I would suggest to experiment with different brands and see which one works best for you.

Said that, some paints are a bit more "challenging" than others! Gunze and Tamiya acrylic paints generally spray pretty easily and the finish is always good (better with Gunze IMHO). The main problem with Gunze paints is their availability while the problem of Tamiya's is that they offer very few colours matched to standard paints used on aircrafts or military subjects.

Water thinned acrylics can be more tricky to spray. Among these, the easiest are probably the Vallejo's Model air range. These spray really well and have very fine pigments. The standard Vallejo model colour range is not bad too IMHO. Lifecolors and Xtracrylics can vary, personally I find no problem with them, some other modellers do.

The main problem of all water thinner acrylics is that they tend to dry on the tip of the airbrush, it's always better to add some acrylic flow improver/retardant to prevent this from happening.

A tip on paint conversion: always good to ask in the relevant section of the forum about the subject you're interested in. Chances are that someone has already searched the right colour in every paint range and can pass the info to you

• Like 1