Eduard to release new SE5a yeeehhaaaahhhh!

Beardie

Has anyone got an inside track to Eduard?

Keenly waiting for news but so far I haven't heard anymore about the SE5a. Every month I have been keenly scanning their online magazine but so far nothing more on this beastie.

• 1 month later...

Eduard 'promised' a Sopwith Camel and an SE5a for about 8 years before the Camel turned up, so I wouldn't hold your breath............

(Although since I have both flavours of the Roden kit, plus the Blue Max kit, I'd only be interested in a new Eduard one if they've ditched whoever was responsible for the wing ribs on their last few WWI efforts).

Paul.

• Like 1

Hi Paul,

I read something to that effect when they announced the SE5a. Something along the lines of they had outsourced the SSW and the lesson learned was to keep the design in house.

Rob

Hi Rob,

Yes, I remember that too, but I think that probably refers to the clunkiness of the guns and engine, and ludicrous lozenge. Note that the lozenge in the Weekend edition was much better. One can hope, but remember that the Camel and Oeffag Albatros wing battens were done in house. At the time I thought they'd made a brave effort to get away from the starved cow tradition but overdone it massively (Camel rib tapes were far too wide, and the ribs on the Albatros Oef were far too high - fixable with sandpaper but tedious.

Paul.

• 1 year later...

Well it has been over a year now since anything was added to this thread but I would like to have a 1/48th SE5 because my new partner is related to Albert Ball.

We have been over to see his grave-stone, strangely amongst lots of German graves, and visited the local college that is named after him. We had a lovely reception and shown around the place with scores of photos and even a 1/12th (?) model of his aircraft hanging over the reception area. I digress.

I have yet to look over the internet to see if such an aircraft is available but on reading the previous comments in this thread, it seems like the Eduard one is the way to go ??

Has anybody an update please ??

Ian

14 minutes ago, Mancunian airman said:

Well it has been over a year now since anything was added to this thread but I would like to have a 1/48th SE5 because my new partner is related to Albert Ball.

We have been over to see his grave-stone, strangely amongst lots of German graves, and visited the local college that is named after him. We had a lovely reception and shown around the place with scores of photos and even a 1/12th (?) model of his aircraft hanging over the reception area. I digress.

I have yet to look over the internet to see if such an aircraft is available but on reading the previous comments in this thread, it seems like the Eduard one is the way to go ??

Has anybody an update please ??

Ian

No doubt when it finally emerges the Eduard kit will be very nice, but if you're experienced with limited run kits the Roden (both engined versions) is easy to find and perfectly good, both in 1/72nd and 1/48th. Spare parts enough to make virually any version. Hardest part is cutting triangles out of the wings to make the inspection panels for the pulleys.

Eduard mentioned the kit as still in the works a few months ago. Now due sometime next year.

Paul.

• Like 1

I realised that there may be a small different between the model 5 and 5A, engines perhaps ??

Is there much in the way of different between the SE5 Scout model compared o the actual fighter model ??

Just seeking clarification

thanks

Ian

Edited by Mancunian airman

I have not made an Eduard kit of any kind yet but I have a 1/48 scale DVa lined up and so I am looking forward to that.  I have been making 1/72 scale Airfix Revell and Roden.

I set out to build the Roden 1/48 SE5a and did not finish it.  I have come to the conclusion I don't like the SE5a.   

I am completing the Roden 1:72 scale SE5a and have had to grit my teeth to complete it.  

I will give this new 1/48 SE5a a miss I think due to my prejudices.  Does any one else have an irrational dislike of a particular WWI type?  

I tried and failed to build the 1/48 Roden SE5a as I found the plastic used to be soft and sort of horrible to work with and dissolved alarmingly when the liquid poly hit it . The plastic in a number of areas was short shot or detail was rough/soft. I had been really looking forward to Eduard producing the SE5a but as I have said elsewhere, I realised that if I was to feed my WWI habit properly the best option was to move up to the 1/32 offerings of Wingnuts and others. I do find that Rodens' 1/32 offerings are significantly better. The plastic, while still rather soft, is not quite so 'soapy' in texture and the overall 'feel' of the kits is more pleasing to me although there is still a huge gulf between them and the Wingnut Wings offerings.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2016 at 11:16 AM, Mancunian airman said:

I realised that there may be a small different between the model 5 and 5A, engines perhaps ??

Is there much in the way of different between the SE5 Scout model compared o the actual fighter model ??

Just seeking clarification

thanks

Ian

The main difference would be the canopy. The SE5 had an almost enclosed one which was discarded for the 5a. Pegasus do a 1:72 kit of the SE5...

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

I might try to weigh in on this one. My entire kit stash is 1/48 scale, limited to WWI, WWI, and between the wars aircraft and armor. Nearly all of my WWI aircraft collection is Eduard, with one or two Roden kits thrown into the mix. Now I'm afraid to try the Roden kits. Right now I have the Eduard Fokker DR1 Dual Combo on my workbench ( basically two aircraft in one box ). I chose this kit as my first WWI build, mainly because of the rigging issue. The most difficult thing so far is trying to replicate the natural wood finish. I always try to get the finish to look as close to the real thing as possible under a slight level of magnification. Just in case any others may be interested here is the method that I am using for natural wood: I start with Vallejo Iraqi Sand as a base color. Then I use some artists oil ( like raw umber for example ) thinned with some terpinoid and I apply with my wife's makeup sponge ( don't tell her ). After some drying time I take a fine dental cleaning brush and wipe most of it off, leaving a fine trace of color still remaining. It is difficult to detect with the naked eye, but under magnification it looks realistic in this scale. Then after it dries ( a day or so ) i use some of the Pledge (Future) floor polish and tint it with a drop of red and yellow food coloring that I stole from the kitchen cabinet. If you gently brush this on and let it dry it gives the wood pieces a nice varnished look. Maybe some one who is trying their hand at this for the first time may be able to try this technique. I'm sure that there are many other good ways to obtain the wood finish but this one seemed to work for me. Good luck with your efforts.                    Bob H. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

May 2017!

Eduard Info Newsletter December edition:

May will also be the right time to bring out the Royal Class boxing of the 1/48th scale SE.5a, which is also essentially a Limited Edition kit, really, and so should be named here. The SE.5a was built in two basic versions, one with a Wolseley Viper engine, and the other with a Hispano-Suisa. In the Royal Class edition, both will be represented, and will offer between 12 and 14 markings options, decals from Cartograf, photoetched, masks, some Brassins, and likely a glass as well

• 3 months later...

I was able to buy the SE. 5a at a show this weekend, and I'm no WW1 expert, the kit in the box looks very well tooled and great decal sheet, great plastic, and the rest bit we are used to getting with Eduard kits, price £22.

gets my vote as kit of the year, and show's all the rest how to deliver a great package.

• Like 1

surprising not a lot of excitement over this lovely looking kit, maybe I missed were it been written.

I think if this had been issued five years ago, been more of a response and reception.

Really looking to be the best 1/48 WW1 kit of 2017, would not think its a easy kit, but will look great when finished.

I was really looking forward to it when it was originally revealed by Eduard but, as it seemed to have disappeared in the months after and nothing else new in 1/48 for WWI enthusiasts, I was tempted to try Wingnut Wings kits and now I will never go back to 1/48 and Eduard. Yes they are superb kits in their class but Wingnut Wings are more like 'ultimate' kits.

A bit OT, but you can't have a representative collection of WW1 aircraft with WNW, at the moment, and I think for a long time.

You can with Ed, and I'm glad to see this SE.5a coming.

I just hope they won't give up on WW1.

Well Eduard don't currently do an LVG C.VI, Gotha, AEG G.IV, Sopwith Pup, Etrich Taube, Salmson 2-A2, FE2b, RE8, Rumpler C.IV. Roland D.VI(a or b ), Sopwith Pup, Junkers J.1, DH4, Sopwith Triplane, Sopwith Snipe, Albatros B.II, Hansa W.12, Hansa W.29, Felixstowe and, let's face it, the Wingnuts are in a class of their own. Also in the 1/32 arena there are the Bristol M.1c, Morane Type 'N', Assorted Nieuports, Spad XIII, Spad VII, DH.2, Dr.1 available from Roden, Special Hobby and Hobbycraft. Then, in Resin there are the Planet Models Floh, Ponnier and Port Victoria. This year we are expecting the resin Aviattik Berg and HP o/400 and there is also the Aviattic model of the Ballila. While not a comprehensive group of WWI aircraft it is far from a bad start and it will be a few years before I have completed at least one of each of those in which time I hope that the 1/32 WWI scene continues to grow.

I was told a couple of years ago by Eduard that they were not really too interested in WWI subjects any more as they were a pretty small part of their sales. With Wingnuts you have an enthusiast for quality kits of  WWI subjects at the helm so hopefully we will see a continued stream of kits as the years roll by.

I am quite sure that there is a thing like a Wingnuteffect. Those kits from Wingnutwings create a strong WANT. I do usually not buy 1:32 kits and will not start with Wingnutwings but if they decided to add a 1:48 range (which I do not believe!) I could not be held back to buy some of their kits. What I think is that they get so much attention for their work that the subjects they do become more interesting themself. So I think more WWI kits in other scales from other manufactures will be released and if these are successful (what I expect the Eduard SE5 will be) then I would wonder if not more will come. The SE5 seems to be a new league in 1:48 WWI kits which will give new impulse I bet. Will wait for the Royal Class edition too - first time I do so.

René