Eduard to release new SE5a yeeehhaaaahhhh!

Beardie

I agree that the Wingnuts draw you in and get you interested in the individual subject with the manual in the box full of period pictures and photos of the real or replica aircraft as owned or at least created by the Vintage Aviator. I hope they do inspire a revival of WWI kits in all scales but, for me, due to aging I don't really want to wait around for them to appear in 1/48 plus I have realised that 1/32 isn't really all that big but, at the same time big enough to get some lovely detail and a fairly easy build.

I am currently working on the Wingnuts Snipe and, as an axperiment I just glued all the struts into their cleverly designed sockets without making any attempt to align them and, once set I just bunged the top wing on and it was spot on, aligned well and sturdy with no jigs, no mess and no fuss. Eduard are great kits but I never had such an easy carefree top wing fitting from any of them.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Beardie said:

Well Eduard don't currently do an LVG C.VI, Gotha, AEG G.IV, Sopwith Pup, Etrich Taube, Salmson 2-A2, FE2b, RE8, Rumpler C.IV. Roland D.VI(a or b ), Sopwith Pup, Junkers J.1, DH4, Sopwith Triplane, Sopwith Snipe, Albatros B.II, Hansa W.12, Hansa W.29, Felixstowe and, let's face it, the Wingnuts are in a class of their own. Also in the 1/32 arena there are the Bristol M.1c, Morane Type 'N', Assorted Nieuports, Spad XIII, Spad VII, DH.2, Dr.1 available from Roden, Special Hobby and Hobbycraft. Then, in Resin there are the Planet Models Floh, Ponnier and Port Victoria. This year we are expecting the resin Aviattik Berg and HP o/400 and there is also the Aviattic model of the Ballila. While not a comprehensive group of WWI aircraft it is far from a bad start and it will be a few years before I have completed at least one of each of those in which time I hope that the 1/32 WWI scene continues to grow.

I was told a couple of years ago by Eduard that they were not really too interested in WWI subjects any more as they were a pretty small part of their sales. With Wingnuts you have an enthusiast for quality kits of  WWI subjects at the helm so hopefully we will see a continued stream of kits as the years roll by.

That would be very unfortunate for me. My entire kit stash is 1/48 scale, WWII, WWI, aircraft and armor. Hopefully Eduard will at least continue to do a 1/48 scale WWI kit every couple of years or so. I will continue to look for their kits that I still would like to have at various model contests in the vendor section.

On 16/03/2017 at 5:01 PM, Beardie said:

Well Eduard don't currently do an LVG C.VI, Gotha, AEG G.IV, Sopwith Pup, Etrich Taube, Salmson 2-A2, FE2b, RE8, Rumpler C.IV. Roland D.VI(a or b ), Sopwith Pup, Junkers J.1, DH4, Sopwith Triplane, Sopwith Snipe, Albatros B.II, Hansa W.12, Hansa W.29, Felixstowe and, let's face it, the Wingnuts are in a class of their own.

Indeed!

But Eduard have some SPAD, Nieuport and Hanriot among their WW1 releases.

At least they do not forgot that WW1 happened mostly in France, and make us Frenchman feel like our aircraft did count for something.

• Like 1

I and many others I am sure agree that it would be good if Wingnuts produced at least some French kits and I have no doubt that they will at some point. At least they did produce a Salmson but Breguet, Spad, Hanriot, Morane etc. do well deserve to be given the Wingnuts treatment. At least some of these marques are available in fairly good kits by Roden and Special Hobby in the meantime.

It is a bit odd that they haven't done any other French aircraft.

Back to Eduard's release of SE5a, was looking over the marking options.   Seems to be a mistake with the Canadian Burden's aircraft markings?  Serial is correct as are the 56 Squadron identity strips, but his personal marking should be a V and not the number 3.  Also not sure about the wheel covers, as C flight was usually associate with white.

http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47502

regards,

Jack

I think there's also a mistake in the markings for Duncan Grinnell-Milne's machine. By 1919, "Schweinhund" was "Schweinhund III". The previous two aircraft had been destroyed by enemy fire.

He describes removing the panel bearing the name just before the SE5 was due to be sent for disposal some time after hostilities ceased.

I don't think the red fuselage was applicable before the wars end but it was definitely red after the armistice by which time he was the CO of 56 Squadron.

This is outlined in "Wind in the Wires", a wonderfully evocative story of those far off days.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Did Eduard instructions get it wrong, and have you install a Hispano prop on the Wolseley engine?

They have part B10, but compare to the diagram below ... or is the diagram illustrating  wrongly  the pitch of the blades?

SE5variants.jpg

regards,

Jack