Does anyone else apart, from me, build merchant ship models?

Hi Bob

Lovely ship!

But to answer your question - from my perspective, I rarely see Merchant ship kits - and those I do see I know little or nothing about, so refrain from buying. I must admit to being part of the 'vox pop', having built several Cutty Sarks and a Titanic over the years. I guess it's a genre that has its own devotees and is the domain of niche and Special Interest groups?

Just my tuppence worth (and probably barely worth that :winkgrin: )

Kev

I've just started this:

P4120002_zpsbcb3tnfe.jpg

Does that count?

Had a nasty crack on thie side which I first filled with Tamiya filler and then rubbed down with fine sandpaper.

I then put some red paint on it to see if I'd miss something:

P4120003_zpsqghfqetc.jpg

Have ordered some 1/700 trucks to put on the deck (yes I know - wrong scale - but I won't tell if you dont! :winkgrin: )

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

• Like 2

Hi Bob,

I don't know what it is but I have always been attracted to WW2 projects. Be it Aircraft, Warships, figures or vehicles. When I was younger it was all about the fighting vehicles but as I have got older (I can't say 'matured'!) I have more interest in non-military items and have come to realise that I am fascinated about the period and British life in the '30s and '40s rather than the war itself.

It is not beyond the bounds of possibility that sometime in the future I may embark on a merchant ship (I have a couple of liberty ships in the stash and an old 1/400 scale tanker (Glasgow seems to ring a bell) so you never know.

If I do chose to do so your work will be a big influence on the style I go for so don't think your postings aren't appreciated so please keep it up!

As has been said, there aren't too many merchant ships on the market and most of us aren't as skilled at scratch building. However, I do have the tanker Glasgow and NS Savannah in the stash.

Thanks for replies.

When I started model shipbuilding, I never managed to produce a decent model from a kit. I couldn't understand the instructions, or make parts fit properly. Painting was a nightmare with those old plastic ones, Hawaiian Pilot, J. L. Hanna, etc where the deck details such as winches were moulded into the decks. I found scratchbuilding a lot easier from the start. I began with large scales such as 8 feet to 1 inch, but that was inconvenient, as I was at sea. Then I changed to miniatures literally overnight in the early 1970s. I found them even easier, as there were no knots or blocks to fiddle about with. Everything was just glued on and blocks were simply blobs of black paint. Several years ago, I got a kit of HMS Campbeltown, but nothing had changed, I still couldn't manage it, and I gave it away part-finished!

There are no niche or special domain sites for merchant ships anywhere on the Internet, and I have searched long and hard. 99% of ship model builders may like looking at them, but very few will even consider building them. Collectors on the other hand, can't get enough of them, to such an extent that I had to stop taking private commissions several years ago, because they were like a millstone round my neck!

Bob

I built the Olympic here a couple of years back, and have subsequently built the Britannic, I designed & built a paper model of the STS Lord Nelson, and have plans for (and good intentions towards) building most of the ships Iive sailed on. Oh & built an RC model of the Tor Bay to 1:200 scale many moons ago, mostly built on board in the days when we sailed out of Tilbury, so bringing it home wasn't a problem.

There aren't that much in plastic. Imex did some, Revell, Heller a few. Airfix did their liners. And all in various scales. Not much reference in the interenet. And only a few aftermarket sets, wich are essential for ships. WEM is gone and that's bad luck. There are is range in 1:700 made in resin . They are very expensive and waterline, which I don't prefer. That causes the absence, I think.

I have a hankering to do Clan Macnaughton at some stage when I have the time to do it justice. My Grandfather was one of her officers when she was torpedoed and spent a couple of weeks adrift afterwards.

Greg,

Clan MacNaughton was a good looking ship. Here it is http://www.clydesite.co.uk/clydebuilt/viewgal.asp?id=20480

I worked for Cayzer, Irvine from 1965 to 1976, but never sailed in a Clan, as they choose to put me mainly in Union-Castle passenger liners, apart from a short spell in the cargo ships Richmond Castle and Nina Bowater.

Dave,

Those card model are very impressive, and I like your Olympic, but I think I would find it a bit difficult fitting it all together properly!

Kev,

Yes, I have seen that site, but again, very few merchant ships.

I suppose I am biased because of my happy years in the MN where we had loads of adventures, saw the world, and on the passenger liners, we also had a decent social life included. My wife often accompanied me on voyages, which would not have been permitted if I had been in the Navy!

I found the Falklands one long round of exercises, with very little peace and tranquility. Not talking about enemy action either - we saw none! but between gunnery practice, helicopter comings and goings there was the continuous "blah blah blah" of "pipes" (Information broadcasts) as well as the discomfort of sleeping bags instead of blankets and sheets! :yikes:

Bob

Hi Bob,

My main shipbuilding scale is 1:1200 and I have over 1,000 models, probably about 600 are merchant vessels; although I have ventured off to 1:350 scale in the last couple of years.

I haven't displayed/posted my models as I haven't seen much of an interest in merchant ships at this very small scale, just some very fine warships. I have bought your ebooks and am keenly awaiting your new publication in order that I can have a go at some merchants in 1:350 scale.

My latest scratchbuild venture in 1:1200 is of CLAN MACAULAY, plus I have a CUSTODIAN on the go as well.

cheers

Mike

Mike,

I remember the Clan Macaulay and Custodian well. Those little miniatures make very attractive models and I am often amazed at the prices they go for on Ebay. Would be interested to see your Clan Macaulay. I think I saw a 1:1200 plan of that ship in Model Shipwright some years ago. The new book is scheduled for delivery to me on the 7th May next, I approved the proofs several days ago.

Bob

Thanks for the update on your book Bob. Yes, I am using that plan from Model Shipwright (I have most editions of that fine publication) and hope to do a bit more fettling soon.

Mike

I got hold of the Shell Welder kit a few years ago and almost finished it, I forget what manufacturer it is but I got as far as just requiring to install those rubbery handrails and decided I'd make them from brass instead... Its still waiting. although now it would probably benefit from a total rebuild. Before going back to plastic kits I also built a few plank on frame r\c tugs from magazine plans, sold most off but kept one 'Smit Finland' because I rebuilt and super detailed it as a static model.

Bob I know what you mean, I build submarines, out of 300 plus models the number of civilian/research submarine models probably reaches 20 if im lucky, including Takara ready painted models.

Military vessels being the majority, I have been tempted to get a 1/350 liberty ship. I have two research ships in the stash Le Suirot and the re released Calypso.

Keep at it I do enjoy seeing your scratchbuilt ships, they are one of a kind, just give it time and youll find someone on here with the same interest in merchant ships.

All the best Chris

There are a fair number of injection models of Japanese liners, tankers and cargo liners of the 1930s and 40s, as well as the Liberty Ships, in 1/700. If you go to resin the numbers multiply and extend to more Allied subjects including tankers and cargo vessels of different sizes.

To expand on Graham's point (and make a shameless self plug! :whistle: ), I have a Fujimi 1/700 Sado Maru on the go just now:

Sado%20Maru%20Model%2000_zpsedfpvgde.jpg

Two in-progress shots of the ship being built in it's Boku Kikansen (Anti-Aircraft Transport) configuration:

Sado%20Maru%20Model%2001_zps8zjgwg6j.jpg

Sado%20Maru%20Model%2002_zpsg2c5fxav.jpg

Photo of the real ship in Pre-War NYK Line colours:
Sado%20Maru%20Pic%2000_zpshzchywe0.jpg

Lastly, here's an image of an out of the box build by a German modeller: LINK.

A Japanese modeller called Motoyuki Iwashige has built a collection of WW2 era Marus (SITE) and I'm using his model (LINK) as a guide to detailing.

Mike. :)

Edited by MikeR
  • Like 2

I didn't really mean merchant ships in their war roles, but in their peacetime roles such as before 1914, between 1918 and 1939, and then after 1945. During wars, they were taken over by the military and the service was completely different.

Plenty shipping lines to choose from - Blue Star, Houlders, Furness Withy, Clan, Ellermans, Cunard, Brocklebanks, Ben, Bowaters, P & O. Cunard, Union-Castle, Buries Markes, Moss Hutchison - I could go on and on, but I seldom see any.

Bob

I see the Asama Maru was in one of the above links, but in wartime colours. Here is my model of the same ship, but in peacetime colours. It is scratchbuilt from plans found in The Motor Ship journal.

Bob

1929_Asama_Maru_Large.jpg

Yes, Hikawa Maru as in peacetime colours looks very good, but seems to be the exception rather than the rule.

Bob

• Like 2

Hikawa Maru isn't as exceptional as you think, other than that it is also available in the larger 1/350 scale

Look also for a three ship set Nitta Maru/Yawata Maru/I forget the third - they are all the same kit

Also Brasil Maru

The Sado Maru and her sisters can be done in prewar colours. The military add-ons are just that in the kits. The same design has also been produced more recently by Aosima - the Fujimi kits are slightly short (IIRC)

Aikoku Maru comes as the auxiliary cruiser but again it is straightforward to do her as a liner.

Resins such as the Victory and Empire B are common enough in postwar schemes.