Who do you regard as reliable authors?

Nigel Bunker

While we are in the Pacific war, do not forget John Lundstrom.

And also, big surprise, a Frenchman, Bernard Baeza, for his work on Japanese army aircraft, air combat over Australia, and its brand new two-volumes about Guadalcanal.

I second the late Professor Leon Kane-Maguire, what a nice man and not to forget Mark Lax who also wrote some fantastic RAAF books. Both men kindly helped me with my own research in the past.

Brian Cull is also a fine author who has provided me with help over the years and others who cannot escape mention are Christopher Shores and of course last but very much not least,.....our very own Chris Thomas,....another fine gentleman who was a pleasure to meet in person.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

The other authors that I trust are Nick Millman, Mike Starmer and Dana Bell whose publications have all been incorporated into my model builds at some time or another.

Cheers

Dennis

• 11 months later...

it should be noted that Tommy Thomason (as Tailspin Turtle) and Dana Bell are members here, as is Jim Mass who is Mr Brewster Buffalo, and more recently Jerry Crandall, noted Luftwaffe researcher, as well as reliable authors.

Steven Bungay deserves a mention for his meticulous research in Most Dangerous Enemy, his Battle Of Britain history.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Most-Dangerous-Enemy-History-Britain/dp/1781314950

Alfred Price has done many Spitfire books, I have recommended his Spitfire Story several times here as an excellent primer for Spitfire versions.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spitfire-Story-Dr-Alfred-Price/dp/184425819X

The work of the JaPo authors is also exemplary, Aleš Janda and Tomáš Poruba, (JaPo come from their surnames )

Shlomo Aloni and Ra'anan Weiss have done many books on the Israeli Air Force, the ones I have are excellent.

• Like 5

I`d like to add Carl Vincent and Terry Higgins as excellent authors regarding Canadian subjects as well as Jim Bates who writes some very interesting on line articles too.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

....... Jim Mass who is Mr Brewster Buffalo, ......... , as well as reliable authors.

Alfred Price.....

Shlomo Aloni ....... have done many books on the Israeli Air Force, the ones I have are excellent.

Fully agree about Jim Maas.

Alfred Price.... Well, not so reliable in my opinion.

And for S. Aloni, if your choice is to take the Israeli side of the whole story, well, he's good.

But if you want an overall and balanced view, he's not the man, far from it.

• 2 weeks later...

I should have added David Edgerton to my earlier list. His 'England and the Aeroplane' is a superb history.

Unsurprised to see Sven Hassel doesn't make the list....

I think authors that rely making use of broad generalizations are bad authors. Becuase you as a reader are not able to learn anything from that, and if the author was to make a point about making a point, that is no good. Another bad thing for an author to do, is providing an explanation for an explanation, if no clear point is conveyed with this.

I'd like to mention Jerry Scutts, who I shared many a pint with and who has also passed away.

He wrote a lot of Luftwaffe and USAAF titles for Osprey and other publishers.

On warship subjects:

UK: Alan Raven, John Roberts, R A Burt, Norman Friedman, Ian Buxton, Peter Hodges, D K (David) Brown, David Hobbs

US: Norman Friedman, Robert Sumrall

Soviet: John Jordan

• 4 weeks later...

I second Raven & Roberts for ships, it's a pity that the German translation of their iconic British WW II Battleships is just about unreadable...

Also second Ray Sturtivant, and then Jim Halley would seem rather logical to add (though I admit "Squadrons" and the "serial files" are no reading books).

Three pages into the discussion and no one mentioned Francis Mason ? I also always thoroughly enjoyed Roy Braybrook, though at the mo I can't think of more books by him than the one on the Hawk, published some 30 years ago.

Another author by whom I only have read a single book but thoroughly enjoyed it is Andrew Brookes, "Force V". I somehow seem to lack the attention span these days to read a fully-fledged book but that one obviously absorbed me enough to make it through.

Edited by tempestfan

• 3 weeks later...

Tempestfan,

I think Roy Braybrook wrote a few books on Hawker machines, as well as on many other topics though I mostly recall his occasional excellent articles, especially in some older magazines,

A fine and very interesting and entertaining writer; his technical descriptions and design/engineering analysis of the inevitable compromises in aircraft always intrigued. For me, Bill Gunston, sadly now dead, had a similar style at times.

How about William Green? Must look back through the posts, has he been mentioned ?

John B

Another author by whom I only have read a single book but thoroughly enjoyed it is Andrew Brookes, "Force V". I somehow seem to lack the attention span these days to read a fully-fledged book but that one obviously absorbed me enough to make it through.

His Photo Reconnaissance: The Operational Story (Ian Allen, 1975) is pretty good as well.

To this excellent list I would like to add;

Ken Delve (Canberra expert)

Andrew Brookes (V bombers and PR)

Mike Bowyer (his works in the Action Stations series are a regular reference source)

Lindsay Peacock and the late Robert Dorr (US SAC gurus)

Roger Lindsay (RAF Cold War series are personal faves)

Tony Blackman (Avro test pilot and a delightful man to meet).

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

These authors have all been mentioned but I feel obliged to add my two cents. As a modeler and aviation enthusiast I will purchase or certainly refer to any book or correspondence with their name included.

Nick Millman: Besides his books and informative blog site he has taken the time to return e-mail questions. He has probably forgotten more than I'll ever know on Japanese markings. I hold his opinions in high regard.

Chris Thomas: Mr. Hawker Typhoon and Tempest. I have most of his books and magazine articles in my reference library. He has also been very generous with his time in answering my endless questions on this modeling site.

Roger Freeman: One of, if not the authority on Eighth Air Force history.

Dana Bell: His name attached to any aviation correspondence is worth a look. To my knowledge, I have all of his published work. I had the pleasure of attending one of his IPMS presentations years ago. Modest, with a sense of humour and very authoritative.

Jerry Crandall: Again, I have purchased most of his books. He sure knows his Fw 190 material! I met him at an IPMS Nationals years ago and never forgot one of his observations that one should be very skeptical of anyone who claimed to have definitive answers to Luftwaffe markings.

Larry Milberry: Started his own publishing company (he observed it was no way to get rich) and produced Canadian aviation literature to the highest standard. I have met him on several occasions and hold him and his opinions in high regard.

Jim Maas: As others have suggested, Mr. Brewster Buffalo. He has been very helpful answering my questions on other modeling sites.

Rodger Lindsay: Cold War Shield series. Say no more!

Alfred Price: British aviation authority. Authoritative and balanced opinions.

I'm sure I've missed many others, but the above come to mind. I feel obliged to say that the above list of authors (and others) are owed a debt of gratitude by students of aviation history like me for the years of time and effort (no doubt a labour of love) they have spent in making our hobby and interests so enjoyable. I find the above authors I have met to be modest and open minded, always open to new ideas and information. Thank you, gentlemen!

• 1 month later...

Jerry Pook.

Mainly because 'Ground Attack Harrier over the Falkands' is such a breath of fresh air after Sharkey's version of events.