Mach2 AJ-2 Savage - Fire Bomber

Hi guys,

I've been really busy recently, work, moving house, trying to get to most shows on weekends etc, it's been non-stop. Loads going on in the background, I have a few kits that are nearing completion (see RFI soon) but decided to keep them off BM due to time reasons but I'm putting this up as it's a really unusual-unseen built kit.., I've also just set up a new SIG with the IPMS called 'Scale Water Bombers', basically, anything that's dropped water or retardant etc over the years from Ford Trimotors to DC-10's... one aircraft that I've always been fond of is the AJ-1 Savage and two were used for aerial firefighting so I'm going to try and replicate that using the lovely Mach2 kit.

Some photos -

Lovely patina seen on the box, I'm guessing from having a nice long holiday up in a loft :)

17233448316_8188b8451e_c.jpgMach 2 AJ-2 Savage 1/72nd by Totallyrad.co.uk, on Flickr

Bang up-to-date 3D CAD style instructions :)

17052015987_0157ed05fa_c.jpgMach 2 AJ-2 Savage 1/72nd by Totallyrad.co.uk, on Flickr

Tamiya-like mouldings.

17233444536_78fb40fda3_c.jpgMach 2 AJ-2 Savage 1/72nd by Totallyrad.co.uk, on Flickr

Flash-proof sprues.

17258879271_13641b0f42_c.jpgMach 2 AJ-2 Savage 1/72nd by Totallyrad.co.uk, on Flickr

16639204763_d01b149f83_c.jpgMach 2 AJ-2 Savage 1/72nd by Totallyrad.co.uk, on Flickr

Here's what it is going to hopefully look like.

17245010021_99222d33ba_b.jpg

17187643716_3183d55508_c.jpg

17234762881_0f7e6d610a_c.jpg

Seriously though, it's not that bad and it can be worked but that's the whole fun of modelling... isn't it.

Thanks for looking in..see you on the next update. ;)

Edited by Radleigh
  • Like 11

I am also a firebomber fan and didn't know the Savage had been used. Very cool.

A Mach 2 kit, you are a brave man. Buddy here built one years ago, said the clear parts weren't really all that clear.

Will be watching with interest.

• Like 1

I`ll be following this one too,....the Savage is a great looking aircraft and it looks interesting as a firebomber, although I prefer the overall blue US Navy scheme personally.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Nice aircraft (actually, never heard of...). Not so nice kit- on the other hand, tamiya is no challenge, so this makes it more interesting.

Alex

Challenge is a good term. I would qoute it as a battle. I have an Ar 232 kit by Mach 2. Like it, but I will never build that. Too much to do and the clear parts can only be exchanged. You'll never get them clear.

But I hope, he will fix it right!!!! Cheers

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 1

Going to have to follow this one :)

Found a couple more pictures of the AJ-2's for you here:

http://warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=40156&start=75

Page 6 and Page 9 have some photos of them.

Cheers,

foresterab

I know squat about fire bombers, so that link was amazing; the sheer variety of aircraft types is astonishing. Some of the early helicopters could barely carry a gnat in hot conditions, so trying to carry anything useful in a Whirly or Bell 47 near a big fire must have been fun. Great link; thanks!

• Like 1

Thanks for the interest guys, quite funny some of the replies!

I have glued together the main parts, the cockpit flooring is in also but will add the seats last before fitting the cockpit glazing.

To show what I have to contend with and a list of stuff to do before I even think of fitting it all together is -

- Straighten tailplane/rudder

- Plate over where the rear opening is - they had a jet engine out the rear in military service but the fire bomber had them taken out

- Fill numerous sink marks

- Fill gaps where fuselage doesn't meet

- Get engine nacelles sat properly both sides

- Delete exhausts - they were removed from the fire bomber and repositioned

- Remove and open up cowling flaps

- Tidy edges up

- Reposition the undercarriage

and some photos..

17278644786_d641d982f4_c.jpgMach 2 AJ-2 Savage 1/72nd by Totallyrad.co.uk, on Flickr

17302741932_3daa57e8c4_c.jpgMach 2 AJ-2 Savage 1/72nd by Totallyrad.co.uk, on Flickr

17304584175_a9a1e7011e_c.jpgMach 2 AJ-2 Savage 1/72nd by Totallyrad.co.uk, on Flickr

16684312593_466ec9be4a_c.jpgMach 2 AJ-2 Savage 1/72nd by Totallyrad.co.uk, on Flickr

17117022100_1769912b1b_c.jpgMach 2 AJ-2 Savage 1/72nd by Totallyrad.co.uk, on Flickr

17116823278_2499055d99_c.jpgMach 2 AJ-2 Savage 1/72nd by Totallyrad.co.uk, on Flickr

17304579795_fccbbc376a_c.jpgMach 2 AJ-2 Savage 1/72nd by Totallyrad.co.uk, on Flickr

17116815128_21d049fb43_c.jpgMach 2 AJ-2 Savage 1/72nd by Totallyrad.co.uk, on Flickr

17118370949_651918eae7_c.jpgMach 2 AJ-2 Savage 1/72nd by Totallyrad.co.uk, on Flickr

17117030410_3321d6f325_c.jpgMach 2 AJ-2 Savage 1/72nd by Totallyrad.co.uk, on Flickr

• Like 6

I say you must have won the lottery. That has got to be the best fitting Mach 2 kit I have ever seen.

Edited by philp
  • Like 1

Cruelly under-represented in plastic or resin for what was an important aircraft in the USN and a good looking one it was too, to my eyes. THAT however, Radleigh, would test my patience. Will be watching!

Cruelly under-represented in plastic or resin for what was an important aircraft in the USN and a good looking one it was too, to my eyes. THAT however, Radleigh, would test my patience. Will be watching!

Anigrand produced an excellent kit of the AJ-2 in resin. As far as I know, however, it is sold out. Rare-Plane Detective in Las Vegas had them run some more but they sold out as well (they still have the A2J). I didn't see one on eBay just now, either. For other AJ stuff, see http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2011/07/aj-savage-notes.html and http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2013/04/aj-2-savage-cockpit.html. The Mach 2 kit represents an AJ-1 (short canopy, third crewman below deck, one piece nose gear door) that was retrofitted with the AJ-2 empennage.

Oh my, you have your work cut out with that kit....I see warping, misalignments, gaps and heavy sink marks, and I have to ask the question...."Shouldn't the Quality Control Engineer of that product be fired for allowing it through to the shipping department?!"

You're a braver man than I. But, I have to admire your resistance to give up the battle and carry on. Good luck with the rest of the build and I look forward to the end result!

Cheers :)

Martin

Oh my, you have your work cut out with that kit....I see warping, misalignments, gaps and heavy sink marks, and I have to ask the question...."Shouldn't the Quality Control Engineer of that product be fired for allowing it through to the shipping department?!"

You're a braver man than I. But, I have to admire your resistance to give up the battle and carry on. Good luck with the rest of the build and I look forward to the end result!

Cheers :)

Martin

AFAIK Didier is a one-man-band. If you buy Mach 2, you expect this sort of thing. It ain't perfect, but he does fill gaps (excuse the pun) that others don't.

Is true.

I have actually been looking at the new Learjet they just released. Looks like things are getting better but want to see a few reviews before I bite.

I also would really like the LCT6 they do but the amount of work required for that kit has kept me away. I am just a Kit assembler.

• 2 weeks later...

Update time but no photos yet. I'm waiting on some resin seats to arrive so I can then fit the canopy, but wings are on, filled and airframe primed. This has shown me that I need to fill some panel lines an re-scribe others for the fire bomber version. Going well, but the tail is still slightly crooked even though I've heated it up and moved it, but it doesn't seem to want to go any more so I'm leaving it as is. If I build another I think I will cut it off and reposition it...

• Like 1