RF-4E Pair, Immelmann+IDF

Cheers Tim!

I got them from here;

http://www.kingkit.co.uk/product_detail.php?prodID=18042

Good value considering you get plenty in the box, maybe 8 seated pilots if I remember. Only problem is none of them have their visors down, so I usually make some from miliput. On this build I used some helmets from an old Revell F-16 however. Cheers,

David.

Edited by mirageiv
  • Like 1

I test fitted the canopy and with the pilots/seats in, you really cannot see any of the sidewall detail I added, so for the future I know not to bother :D.

L1000342_zpsncmu33td.jpg

You've answered one of the big questions I had regarding the cockpit of the Phantom: How visible are the sidewalls with canopy down, pilot figures in place? Thanks for pointing that out.

I added some of the prominent rivets on the tails,

L1000340_zpscaicho9v.jpg

I like it! If you don't mind, I'll pinch that idea. I promise to offer you a pinch-worthy idea before my build is over. :)

• Like 1

^ Pinch away :D

Hi guys.

Cockpit finally finished! Please ignore the quality of paint on the canopy sills as the canopy itself will be glued on and they will never be seen again. The colours for flight suits, belts etc.. were mixed to match an excellent closeup in the Airdoc RF-4E book, so I'm happy with their accuracy :).

With the seats/pilots/canopies not there, you can actually see some of the sidewalls......oh well.

L1000374_zpssgkrppcw.jpg

L1000370_zpsrnbpdqa5.jpg

No hud on the RF-4E.

L1000372_zpsh6zzbmtc.jpg

First I usually check the surface with Mr.surfacer 1200, then double check problem areas with alclad white aluminium as it highlights any missed panel line or area that needs more attention,

L1000396_zpsv4txhush.jpg

I made some belts from foil as the eduard ones do not fit when pilots are on,

L1000367_zpsuwzlfqu0.jpg

They needed a 'little' operation to fit in,

L1000389_zps1gmzh9mg.jpg

L1000385_zpsahdt1nqp.jpg

L1000386_zpsdffe8yvy.jpg

Sprayed some surfacer and had to rescribe quite a few panel lines :winkgrin:, they are pretty fine so I had to deepen some of them to make sure they will take a wash in the end, all seems ok now. Happy the camera windows pretty much survived the sanding without any damage.

L1000379_zpsmo8tk0dm.jpg

L1000394_zpsqvatsjsc.jpg

L1000395_zpso6ab04k8.jpg

Next up, attach canopies and small bits then construction is complete, primer and paint to follow. Probs will update next in a week or two after all that is done as xtracolor takes a longgggg time to dry.

Thanks for looking,

David.

Edit, just realised unless these guys have mind control they are gonna need some sticks to steer this thing.

Edited by mirageiv
  • Like 5

Thanks Craig and Al!

Update pretty similar to the F-4F (should have just made 1 topic). Is it possible to merge them?

Sprayed the rubber seal colour and went slightly more mental each time i had to mask the darn thing!

L1000424_zps5krgpy8i.jpg

Re-masked for primer,

L1000430_zpsgfaizj1d.jpg

Few other bits ready,

L1000431_zpsewzqaavf.jpg

Primed with surfacer 1200,

L1000436_zpsm3gr8vtp.jpg

L1000438_zpshqlip9o3.jpg

Ready for paint :) Hopefully those colours I mixed will be ok.

Cheers,

David.

• Like 4

David, what are you using there? Is it pastels?

Was the effect on the tailplanes accomplished by masking the panel/rivet lines and brushing around them?

Edit: Oops, I see there's a perfectly good explanation of what you did on the other build thread. Carry on...

Edited by Air-to-Air
  • Like 1

That is absolutely fantastic work David.

I just hope my 1/48 one looks half as good as your 1/72 kit!

Craig.

Me too...great work!

• Like 1

Olivegreen is on. I used Revell 361 as the base (seemed better then the xtracolor match in the end) then mixed loads of different greens for hues etc.. Had some doubts about airbrushing Revell paints form previous experience but this colour went on like a dream.

First I did the usual shading,

L1000468_zpsfw4oatbf.jpg

Then sprayed some more base to blend it. Usually I over do it at this stage and by the time I have glossed/matted/weathered the model all the shading seems to have vanished :D, so I left it quite stark and hopeful it will all blend in at the end. They did get quite dirty however.

L1000472_zpsfmhflghq.jpg

L1000473_zpssyp0zil8.jpg

I'll let that cure for a few days, I'm all modelled out :)

Cheers,

David.

• Like 4

Thanks chaps!

Schwatzgrau is on, although in reality it seems more of a very dark blue-black,check these photos,

http://www.airfighters.com/photo_43235.jpg

http://www.airfighters.com/photo/56499/M/Germany-Air-Force/McDonnell-Douglas-RF-4E-Phantom-II/35-25/

I am happy with it, though the camera isn't quite capturing the hue. There were 2 versions of the camo scheme, Norm 83.A and 83.B. I chose A which has more of this darker colour, looks more mean i think :). Although the schemes were meant to be standard they do vary between jets so I had to look at a lot of photos to correct the pattern. Hasegawa colour plans were not accurate and seemed to be a mix of both schemes.

L1000495_zps7edddakt.jpg

L1000499_zpsbhoqqlee.jpg

L1000496_zps2a2wdsm8.jpg

Thanks for any comments or advice,

David.

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Crazy times, moving to a new job, new country next week so have only a few days left modelling! With this in mind I decided to convert my RF-4E to an IDF version, one plane I have always wanted to do but never made time for it. So I am afraid this is a bit rough and ready (various accuracy issues but I just wanted an IDF jet :) ), freehand camo sprayed in 1 session (Xtracolor with dryers added allows handling very quickly), currently decaling. It will be an early IDF RF-4E, before the inflight refuelling probe, from the Bat squadron. Armed with an ECM pod, 3 tanks and two Aim-9G's.

L1000554_zps3mpyitfp.jpg

L1000553_zpsslkbg30c.jpg

Not my best work but hopefully I will get it finished tomorrow so I have at least something to show for this group build :).

Thanks for looking guys (apologies for this topic being a mess!)

Cheers,

David.

• Like 7

Very nice work David, you don't see many IDF/AF Rf-4's built and I do like the early colour scheme.

Good luck with the new job, just started one myself which has seriously curtailed my available modelling time, and the move to a new country. Where are you moving to if I may ask?

Great work.

Craig.

Thanks Craig, building an IDF phantom was one of my all time modeling wish list. Currently I am waiting for final confirmation but it is either Australia or Tunisia so will have to pack my modelling hobby up for a while :)

Anyways it is getting there..

I used Windsor and Newton water based wash, quite liked it tbh and no reaction with any of the not fully cured paint :D

L1000556_zps33rdxtuo.jpg

All small bits done, will matt cote it soon and then just the little details left, oh and the stand!

L1000558_zpstzceayc0.jpg

L1000557_zpsxip5inhy.jpg

Cheers,

David

Edited by mirageiv
  • Like 4

Ok last update before the gallery section. All in all pleased with the outcome given a massive rush to the finish :) . Still little bits to do but no point taking any photos of those.

The canopy seal came out ok, maybe slightly over scale but is good enough for me.

L1000559_zpshazqxudx.jpg

The clarity of Hasegawa's canopies is quite rewarding in that you can still see some of the cockpit detail inside.

L1000565_zpsizkygi6d.jpg

Such a brute from this angle imho.

L1000563_zpsu2tjy5dn.jpg

Camera windows came out ok, next time I wouldn't use clear blue for the lenses though, maybe just gloss black.

L1000567_zpsoeeq2nqr.jpg

L1000566_zpskl7rngh3.jpg

ba108e91-2375-4b79-a0d1-bd95d23c6b79_zps

Many thanks to the helpful advice and encouragement along the way chaps, much appreciated! Sorry to disappoint those looking forward to a Luftwaffe RF-4E, just the Israeli version looks that bit more awesome to my eye. Next stop is the gallery, maybe tomorrow.

Many thanks,

David.

Edited by mirageiv
  • Like 11

This looks fantastic. Great credit to you for controlling the process and keeping the high consistency of your work despite the rush at the end.

• Like 1

Absolute nice built and paintjob. Can't believe that this one is 1/72. A lot of work with the stencils. I built the Revell one in Norm 72. i will share it nett time with you.

Regards

Andy

• Like 1