Sword 1/48 English Electric Lightning T.4 and T.5

VMA131Marine

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a T4 on order, looking forward to this kit a lot.

Their 1/72nd kit was nice, but a few mm short in the nose area. I hope they've not made the same mistake on this one!

I used the Quickboost replacement (for the Trumpeter kit) on mine, it was a straight forwards fit.

I still haven't built the airfix 1/48 yet and now I 'need' this!

Got my first two today and have spent the afternoon fiddling with them. Typical Sword product, nice hard shiny plastic, fine panel lines and appears to be based on the Airfix kit. A lot of the panel lines match up and it's bang on for length with the Airfix kit. Theres some decent detail in the main gear wells unlike the Airfix kit and the cockpit is not bad either. The only resin is the exhaust pipes and seats. Theres no etch included and the IP is plastic, its a bit soft but should look OK with some careful painting and decal dials.

The fit is...well its Sword. The wings don't really fit at all as they are, as they've not allowed for the swell in the fuselage around the cockpit. The root at the leading edge needs a fair bit of plastic removing but once you do that and clean it up it's fine. I've got one side sorted already. Tailplanes will need pins adding.

Beyond that it all looks pretty straightforward. Black cockpit, not that many parts, it should go together pretty quickly. Decals look nice although I can't vouch for the accuracy without checking, printed by Techmod. I shall most likely use the Xtradecals sheets. Oh, and a nice new shiny box style too.

Overall I rather like it and will be stocking more. After all, it's an accurate injection molded two seat Lightning. Whats not to like?

• Like 3

I used the Quickboost replacement (for the Trumpeter kit) on mine, it was a straight forwards fit.

I still haven't built the airfix 1/48 yet and now I 'need' this!

The Quickboost replacement part is a straight copy of the Trumpeter part, so is too deep. It was so to compensate for the short Trumpeter fuselage. If used the join line should be filled and placed a couple of mm forward. Using the QB part also makes the intake bullet too far back. It's only 2mm or so but does throw everything out. Saying that, it's easy enough to mount the intake bullet and housing a bit further forward to compensate. It will improve what is otherwise a fairly decent kit.

I have the 1/48th "inbound" and am looking forward to building it immensely. I expect to be getting a couple at least....

• Like 2

The nose area and side 'cheeks' look a huge improvement over their 1/72 version, have been holding out on this one but now I think I'll go for it!

My thoughts too, that area on the 1/72 version is so wrong - very 'Matchbox' like

• Like 1