Douglas P-70 Nighthawk, `Dusty`, Port Moresby, 1943

Hi Everyone,

Finally calling this one done, after starting it nearly 4 Months ago.

d9oLvcv.jpg

Italeris re-issue of AMTs 1/48 Nighthawk kit

KLtJA51.jpg

Done as `Dusty` of the 6th NF Squadron Detatchment `A` at Port Moresby, New Guinea, 1943

fTK3kHT.jpg

Made a few small changes to the kit to match photo`s I found on line, including;

blNUHol.jpg

A wheel hub transplant, deletion of the rear gun and fitted a few boxes and radar scope in its place, no d/f loop or gunsight and .....

qtlyPAr.jpg

some brass tube to represent the longer blast tubes apparent ( to eliminate flash I suppose )

CEteUxr.jpg

Had a bit of a disaster when a final Matt Cote lifted the weathering, so had to clean up and re-weather it.

Hope you enjoy looking at

Cheers Russ

• Like 23

Lovely job! I'm halfway through building one just the same at the moment, finding that very little fits just the way it should, but it's such a lovely shaped craft I'm pressing on regardless...

• Like 1

excellent job Russ...

The way you have handled the monchrome paint job and the weathering is most impressive.

but may suggest getting some grass matting or even just some green or brown cloth or paper to cover the garden table before a photo session, IIRC as seen in most (all?) your RFI pics, the conifers look fine, but the table distracts from your skilled work!

cheers

T

• Like 1

Excellent work! Getting a natural, true-to-life finish on black is one of the toughest things to do, and you nailed it. Great weathering and painting skills.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

excellent job Russ...

The way you have handled the monchrome paint job and the weathering is most impressive.

but may suggest getting some grass matting or even just some green or brown cloth or paper to cover the garden table before a photo session, IIRC as seen in most (all?) your RFI pics, the conifers look fine, but the table distracts from your skilled work!

cheers

T

Cheers Troy, you`re right I need to find something better to put them on, I keep looking at those Noys Minatures back grounds but end up buying another kit instead.

Well that looks like 4 months well spent - she's a beauty. Great paint job. Just enough weathering etc to give it "texture".

ATB
Rick

• Like 1

Cheers Troy, you`re right I need to find something better to put them on, I keep looking at those Noys Minatures back grounds but end up buying another kit instead.

Hmm, some budget suggestions..

and would depend if you have somewhere to store it, but some get some hardboard or thin mdf, or ply, for apint a couple of emulsion tester pots, they are cheap and will cover a square metre easily,, if you look you can find earth browns sort of colours, get two that look useable, paint it with one, while wet sprinkle on some dry soil or sand for texture, then blotched mottle with another colour to break up the base colour.

If you want, then get some railway grass, blotch on some PVA, and sprinkle on, though a patch of 'bare earth' may well suffice.

That would give you a cheap base board for your table, left bits of board get chucked into skips outside building jobs all the time, and the tester pots and grass would be a few quid...or you may have similar about.

If storage is a problem, maybe try the above it on piece of paper or cloth, which could be rolled up, cloth would probably be better.

hope of use

T