1/72nd Vacform DC-7 - Sorted, thanks Kingkit!

Radleigh

Hey everyone,

I might have one of these soon, but I haven't properly looked at it and I can't remember the make of the vac either?

I know it's a vacform / blank canvas etc, but does anyone know anything about it? it's looked as basic as they come but I'm not to bothered by that (will be kit bashing with a Heller DC-6), it was the shape of the nose, it looked more like a DC-8 than a DC-7.

Will post photos if I get my hands on it.

Radders

edit ; just found this - made by J&L https://www.scalemates.com/kits/172514-jandl-douglas-dc-7c-seven-seas

Edited by Radleigh

Probably the old J&L Models kit, then sold on to MHW and then again someone else. I was a youngster working for Jack Stackhouse at J&L while he made the masters for the DC-7, it came with nice Northwest decals by Lloyd Jones at Scalemaster, white metal LG legs and props, some of which are still rattling around in my spares box after nearly 40 years.

It was a fine kit, both for its time, and still could build up into a stunner with a bit of care.

Paul

• Like 1

I have one produced by Aircraft in Miniature although I don't know if it was the same kit.

Yes it is but in thicker plastic with white metal u/c and props injection moulded engines and cowlings.

Steve

Aircraft in Miniature was going to put the kit back in production until discovering that the mold was damaged. And I had provided them with details for new Braniff decals, too! :weep:

I don't have the kit anymore, but they show up in the "under the table" boxes at shows over here ...doing a big IPMS show in June and I will see if I can dig one or two up if anyone's interested...probably cost more to ship it to the UK than the cost of the kit though!

Michael could very well find one at the upcoming shows down his way in Texas..

I am pretty certain I have a few spare Northwest decals from the kit though.

Cheers,

paul

Well, I'm now a proud owner of a J&L Vacform DC-7! Much thanks to Andy at Kingkit , Thanks mate ;)

Will get some photos up tonight, it isn't as bad as I thought, the nose is actually quite nice, not the DC-8 shape I originally thought!

Here you go, it's damaged but OK.. no clear parts either with this kit, just decals for the glazing which I've only just noticed, will be using a Heller DC-6 for spares etc.

16693068404_6afc405b2e_c.jpg1/72nd J&L vacform DC-7C by Totallyrad.co.uk, on Flickr

16693070104_9ed995cc90_c.jpg1/72nd J&L vacform DC-7C by Totallyrad.co.uk, on Flickr

17313671972_c29ff944fb_c.jpg1/72nd J&L vacform DC-7C by Totallyrad.co.uk, on Flickr

16693077544_1bdf6f10ba_c.jpg1/72nd J&L vacform DC-7C by Totallyrad.co.uk, on Flickr

17313682332_dc0a39124e_c.jpg1/72nd J&L vacform DC-7C by Totallyrad.co.uk, on Flickr

16695271283_046c3896d4_c.jpg1/72nd J&L vacform DC-7C by Totallyrad.co.uk, on Flickr

16693074024_a54951f210_c.jpg1/72nd J&L vacform DC-7C by Totallyrad.co.uk, on Flickr

17313678382_03e539f1a7_c.jpg1/72nd J&L vacform DC-7C by Totallyrad.co.uk, on Flickr

17129299499_5987be6bfe_c.jpg1/72nd J&L vacform DC-7C by Totallyrad.co.uk, on Flickr

Ahh, love to see vacforms getting done

If that is the thicker plastic, then I would hate to try and build the thin plastic one.

Lots of modeling pleasure there, the props looks a real challenge to say the least.

Good Luck

Red Roo does a resin cockpit canopy which you may find useful - it is meant for (and a vast improvement on the kit part in) the Mach 2 DC-4, but should fit a -7 as well. I think that Blackbird carries Red Roo in the UK.

Looks to be very crisply molded. I love that recommendation to use Duratite surfacing putty. Filling seams was the first "advanced modeling" technique I learned, over 50 years ago, and Duratite was the recommended product, today's putties and body fillers being years in the future, and the only alternative being a very coarse, grainy AMT product in a tube. I had to call all over town to find it, and it took several days until my dad could get to the lumber yard where it was sold and purchase a can for me, as I was not yet old enough to drive. But that one can lasted for what seemed like decades until something better (3M Acryl Blue Spot Putty) came along. I haven't seen a can of Duratite in years, and I don't think it's made any longer.