Bristol Bombay Mk 1 Valom 1/72 (Pic heavy)

CedB

After my recent Brigand build you would have thought I'd learned my lesson, but 'the boys' have encouraged me to do this next:

102969-10189.jpg

so apparently not. First flown in 1935 the Bombay was introduced in 1939 and retired in 1944. Wikipedia here and, as usual, no colour photos for reference so your guess is as good as mine. Luckily I build OOB and follow the instructions so I'm not too bothered - it's the build that's fun, IMHO (although not in my recent experience).

Sprue shots:

AF145856-6B98-40A3-8033-175C3E867C4C_zps

c7cf0f3d-ae70-4aac-a60a-53b68a452f4f_zps

Three plastic, two clear, two PE (oh joy), IP film and resin engines. Decals for two schemes:

- L5838, 216 Sqn RAF, Aldergrove, Northern Ireland 1939 and

- my choice, L5813, 271 Sqn RAF, crashed 11.5.1940 in Betheniville, France, stalled on approach to the airfield and crashed killing four and injuring twelve.

The usual picture only instructions on folded A5 pamphlet, which I won't bore you with but here's the first few steps:

D4EEF9FD-F0EF-420F-9F27-F42360A83FC0_zps

Looks like an interesting cockpit, good. Notice the inset panel in step 2 for attachment of PE. No, it's not clearer 'in the flesh'*

Bit worried about this bent training edge:

848D6018-6C10-4B43-8636-2FA79FA49D5E_zps

but this will no doubt add to the jeopardy and keep people interested. Hopefully.

* Dbl-E, score 1, fnaar fnaar. Off to a good start, with the double entendres at least.

• Like 13

:yahoo:

The photo etch doesn't look too bad Ced, mostly seat straps and radio gear, apart from the second little 'sprue' which are bomb racks for under the fuselage - they have to be bent and fitted, the amount of fun possible from that venture varies between +10 and deep minus :huh:

Good luck :D

Ooh, one thing to add - the instructions show the undersides as Sky, I believe they should actually be Aluminium paint.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 3

Good luck trying to figure that PE out. I've looked a few times and am still none the wiser. If it can't be seen then ignore it, that's what I would do

Thanks Darby. I quite enjoy doing the internal detail (for some strange reason) but I'll keep your suggestion in reserve. No one will ever know.

I've got one of these so I am very interested to see what you achieve with it. All the best!

Hi, also have one of these I bought at Cosford so

also looking forward to this!

Cheers, Paul

Got mine at Cosford too - cheap weren't they? Oxonians have a lot to answer for.

Yes yes yes yes yes

My goodness, haven't seen that sort of excitement for a while, fnaar fnaar.

:yahoo:

The photo etch doesn't look too bad Ced, mostly seat straps and radio gear, apart from the second little 'sprue' which are bomb racks for under the fuselage - they have to be bent and fitted, the amount of fun possible from that venture varies between +10 and deep minus :huh:

Good luck :D

Ooh, one thing to add - the instructions show the undersides as Sky, I believe they should actually be Aluminium paint.

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks Stew. Not too bad? We shall see... PE bomb racks and I have a history I would rather forget. Oh dear, Bomb Bay, Bombay, what am I doing?

With those good wishes I shall set off on my quest. And I will try to remember to paint my bottom aluminium (fnaar fnaar). Remind me later, please. And I'll write it on the scheme.

I believe on the Bombay, the racks were only fitted when the aircraft was serving in the bomber rather than transport role.

That's the best news I've ever heard... well the best news I've ever heard today :D

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2

Can I just point out for the benefit of the formal record that I was not among the boys advocating the Booombaaay first :nono:.

Still nice to see it, chocks away and all that :pilot:

Also, at the risk of a dbl e score, did anyone else see a resemblance between the fuselage and a non EU compliant banana?

Honest miss, they all look like that...

• Like 2

Well Ced... As much as I would have loved to see your magic on the b17... I am very happy to see you deal with this one! Looks like a good kit and if its not you will make it into one!

Good luck and I look forward to your progress and dbl-e's

Cheers

Rob

• Like 2

Hi there, interesting aircraft type you are starting there. I had a look at your previous build which I thought was plucky and a good result.

These interwar types look like they are on their way to developing into some thing else. This one looks like the Austin Alegro of the aeroplane world. Good luck.

• Like 1

Thanks guys! Won't be long now... (teaser, but I must clear the Vamp off the workspace. Actually, I suppose I could move it to 'the decalling desk' as Mrs B's old computer table is now called. Just need to paint the anti-glare)

Rob and Jon I hereby promise to do the B17 as soon as the Bombay is finished.

Unusual looking thing - why did they go with a fixed u/c?

Possibly because they spent so much time developing a strong wing they forgot to leave any space. Wiki says:

"[problems with the Bagshot] led to an extensive research program at Bristol which resulted in a wing design with a stressed metal skin rivetted to an internal framework consisting of multiple spars and the ribs."

That's the best news I've ever heard... well the best news I've ever heard today :D

Cheers,

Stew

You don't know how worried I was until I came to that ellipsis.

I concur. I'm not sure I'd go past the ellipsis, to be honest. Did they still have the guns fitted? Did they, did they Dad?

Wikipedia entry says "The aircraft was required to be capable of carrying 24 troops or an equivalent load of cargo as a transport, while carrying bombs and defensive guns for use as a bomber". Ambiguous as ever. Ah well, I probably stick 'em in, what the hell.

OK, onwards!

• Like 3

I also was an advocate for the Fort but they are your models so build what you want (oh, wait, you already gave in to peer pressure for this one, oh well).

I will watch along as your builds have been entertaining so far.

Only Bombay I have had any interest in was the one that dropped the first SAS mission in the desert (and a right good time that was).

Remember, have fun.

• Like 1

I'm feeling slightly smug!

There's a thread on the Rumourmonger with lot's of info and some photos I loaded of turrets that you might find useful. Biggest flaw in the kit is the missing hatch and porthole window on top of the fuselage.

• Like 1

Hey Cookie. I may get a chance to show you the AK True Metal on this one. Stew says it's Aluminium on the bottom (smirk).

philp I extend the B17 promise to you too.

gruffy, amblypygid (how do you pronounce that?) and Ex-FAAWAFU welcome to the madness.

I'm feeling slightly smug!
There's a thread on the Rumourmonger with lot's of info and some photos I loaded of turrets that you might find useful. Biggest flaw in the kit is the missing hatch and porthole window on top of the fuselage.

Aha! Bristol Boy ('BB')! Thanks for the link - great reference source:

• Some much better sprue shots on Homebee's post here.
  • Did a bit of minor detective work to find the source here. Some nice pictures... anyone speak Czech?? Still I can look at the pictures. The posts are in reverse order by the way and I may use Google translate on some of those warnings unless anyone can help?
  • BB's post is here with some great research for his Sanger Vacform Bombay (brave man!!). Then some more pics from the Czech thread with more ?warnings?
  • Then another BB post here with some great tips and pics.
  • Then lots more posts with people buying the kit... I know it's new (Jan '15) but why no builds? That makes me a bit nervous, but 'courage mon brave!'

Not much progress tonight (apart from swotting up on the instructions) but, being a Valom 'expert' (one counts doesn't it?) I know that the sprues are not labelled and the parts are not numbered so you have to cross reference the plastic to the diagrams. Easy to start with but then when the sprues start to empty it's harder so one of the things I've done is make sure I can see what's what by putting tape on the sprues and marking where it is on the diagram:

A694671F-F3B1-4524-8A1D-0F3CB47131B0_zps

Oh, and I've painted the anti-glare on the Vamp:

e5dbfdda-704c-466d-a0b4-904200422e97_zps

That's all for tonight - 'Blue Bloods' is on (my favourite programme) so I'm off to watch that with a nice glass of red.

• Like 4

Disappoint? That's nothing Jon...

Disappointment is sitting down to watch your favourite programme and finding that you've seen the episode before. After joining other angry fans on Twitter (as you do) find out that it's "on a break to match US scheduling". What? No, sorry, WHHAAAATTTT!

I'll take guidance on the paint / NMF issue from wherever it comes, with thanks.