DONE - 1/72 RAF Typhoon & Russian Tu-95 Bear intercept

Hi everyone and sorry for starting this in the wrong thread earlier!

So it all started like this - my modelling mate and all round good bloke Barry had bought himself this beastie last year..

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/115168-trumpeter-01601-tu-95ms-bear-h

Me, I was at the end of a year of F-14 builds and was deciding what to build next. When I saw Barry's Bear, I dropped him a message along the lines of...

1. Cool kit, nice purchase
  2. Just how big is that thing?!
  3. Wouldn't it be daft to see it 'intercepted' by a 1/72 Tomcat!

We thought no more of it, except for sharing photos of Tomcats intercepting Russian Tu-95s until Christmas came and I happened to get the these two kits as a present..(cheers Daiske)

Krindle_zpsd47c621f.jpg

And what with Mr. Putin starting to act the eejit with his flights around the UK, Ireland and Europe, it had all come together lovely. Just like an A-Team plan - an RAF Typhoon meeting a Russian Bear bomber, somewhere over the North Sea.

RAF_QRA_Typhoon_Bear_intercept_MOD_45158(Source: Wikipedia Commons, public use)
So that's our plan - Barry builds the Bear, I build the Typhoon and they both get displayed on a diorama that probably won't fit in either of our cars (damn, just thought about that one).
And if that all that wasn't enough, I also planted a seed in Barry's poor head about maybe motorising the engines on the big Russian...
More about the engines (and some WIP pictures) later this week.
Thanks for looking.
Dermot & Barry (who's still thinks I'm a bit of a nutter for this crazy plan)
Edited by Dermo245
  • Like 9

So some pics on this one - apologies in advance for the quality of photos and anything to do with sizes, as we never planned to do a WIP on this.

Interior colour on the Bear, cockpit and tail by Barry...very nice colour match.

d8bd9823-8df0-4c9a-b9b6-248d170e3bfb_zps

Cockpit - not much to see here through the small windows...(and small photo)

Trumpeter_Tu_95_Bear_Cockpit_zpsrfuofdoa

But that didn't stop me painting up a flight crew for it (old school Airfix bods)

Tu-95%20bear%20crew%20paint%201_zps4xezk

And not forgetting someone in the tail turret, giving the International Single Finger Greeting to the RAF Typhoon...this chap is also Airfix

Tu-95%20bear%20crew%20primer_zpsps9xphlm

And all three finished...

Tu-95%20bear%20crew%20paint%202_zpsofo5c

More later!

Thanks for looking.

Dermot

• Like 2

So this post is all about engines.

When I planted the idea in Barry's head about motorising the engines on the Bear, we knew they counter-rotate..question was, how to replicate that with a mini-gearbox? I did find out Trumpeter did a contra-prop gear set-up on their 1/48 Wyvern kit and thanks to kind donations by BM member Pigsty and IPMS Ireland member Paul, we had a couple to experiment on.

I don't have pictures of this next bit but the problem was the kit props and hub are molded as a single part, front and rear. We could have cut the front props away from the hub, fabricated a new replacement hub for them and then reassembled. Also, we just weren't confident the Trumpeter 1/48 gearbox bits (plastic teeth and cogs) would take the RPM of a motor - they're only designed to show the scale effect working...they're also not geared 1:1 ratio.

So based on all of the above, in the end we agreed to go with a motor powering a single shaft but to offset the prop blades at least. We both fully know this is not accurate to the real thing...but we're in this build to have a bit of fun and to those out there in hobby world who can do this sort of thing, we salute you!

For a power source for our engines, Barry thought the trusty Airfix 1/24 motor would do it but would it fit?

The excellent Blu-Tack as motor test fit....looks good..

Trumpeter_Tu_95_Bear_nacelle_1_zps5gwupn

And the real thing....very nice!

Trumpeter_Tu_95_Bear_nacelle_2_zpsdw4cok

Some early engine test runs revealed a bit of vibration to say the least but Barry doesn't give up easily and he found that inserting washers removed most of that. Speaking of removal, he had to grind out a lot of Trumpeter plastic to make it fit..

Trumpeter_Tu_95_Bear_engine_washer_zpsea

And a full set across his workbench..

Trumpeter_Tu_95_Bear_nacelle_3_zpskfwsob

I'll try to post a video of these in action but I have to say they look great, even though they're not 100% accurate. Here's a screengrab of them at work...

Trumpeter_Tu_95_Bear_engine_run_zpsqkkap

On to plastic assembly next!

Cheers,

Dermot & Baz

• Like 6

Very interesting! Usually when the Russian pilots flying over sea, they put on the orange flight uniform.

Thank you!

I think it might be too late because the fuselage might be joined up... :weep:

Oh well, will know for the next time!

Dermot

• 2 weeks later...

So it's painting props next. Lots of them.

32 to be exact. With yellow tips and white leading edge strips..

Since Barry is doing all the hard stuff with the engines, wings and fuselage, I volunteered to paint the engines.

Coat of white primer first (from a can) and then brushpainted yellow tips (as I'm a brush painter)

Trumpeter_Tu_95_Bear_engine_props_yellow

Masked the prop tips and then brush painted the blades Black Grey (leaving the leading edge strip white) and the hubs Grey. The leading edge strip had a really nice edge to it so didn't bother masking those and painted along them.

One down, three to go!

Trumpeter_Tu_95_Bear_engine_props_paint_

Went back to tidy up in a few places....getting there.

A couple of coats of Klear and they're all done!

Next time...Barry puts paint on the wings.

Thanks for looking.

Dermot & Baz

• Like 2

I built the 1/72 scale Amodel Bristol Brabazon - and a friend of mine worked out how to do the contraprops.

Luckily there was enough room in the wing leading edge to mount the motors sideways on - with gears to each prop......

Brabazon%20015.jpg

Here is one of them working.....

Brabazon%20021.jpg

We had lots of trouble with vibration though......

Here's the whole thing.....

Brabazon%20019.jpg

Good luck with your diorama....

Ken

• Like 10

WOW I bet this will look amazing!

Could I please ask for your opinion if those little motors would fit in a 1/144 A400M?

Will ask Barry and let you know!

I built the 1/72 scale Amodel Bristol Brabazon - and a friend of mine worked out how to do the contraprops.

Luckily there was enough room in the wing leading edge to mount the motors sideways on - with gears to each prop......

Brabazon%20015.jpg

Here is one of them working.....

Brabazon%20021.jpg

We had lots of trouble with vibration though......

Here's the whole thing.....

Brabazon%20019.jpg

Good luck with your diorama....

Ken

Cheers Ken and that's a superb build - you've got a talented friend as well!

WOW I bet this will look amazing!

Could I please ask for your opinion if those little motors would fit in a 1/144 A400M?

Howaya lads ..I'm the other half of this mad duo

Momo..the honest answer to your question is I haven't the foggiest...I don't know the lay out of the a400 nacelle...in 1/72 I would say yes but might need modification like the the bear did..could work in 1/144 ..I'd say buy one motor they're cheap as chips..try the fit and if it doesn't work use it somewhere else on a build...

Just thinking somebody did suggest to me about pager buzzer motors..they are tiny and would fit 1/144 I'm sure..check out eBay to give you a better idea...

Sorry I couldn't be of more help

Barry

Edited by chiefwiggum
  • Like 1

Howaya lads ..I'm the other half of this mad duo

Momo..the honest answer to your question is I haven't the foggiest...I don't know the lay out of the a400 nacelle...in 1/72 I would say yes but might need modification like the the bear did..could work in 1/144 ..I'd say buy one motor they're cheap as chips..try the fit and if it doesn't work use it somewhere else on a build...

Just thinking somebody did suggest to me about pager buzzer motors..they are tiny and would fit 1/144 I'm sure..check out eBay to give you a better idea...

Sorry I couldn't be of more help

Barry

No worries, I know it was a bit of a weird question!

Thanks for the reply though!

Edited by momo88

• 2 weeks later...

So got some work started on the Typhoon..

7e9e9742-872d-47a3-a0c3-b663fd70645e_zps

Our Pilot who still needs some straps added. Modified from a Matchbox (?) figure..sorry, a bit blurry...

816ccbe4-17b9-4072-9bac-ac3de680d6de_zps

Edited by Dermo245
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hey all and sorry for not posting progress on this one before now..

So my mate Barry (Chief Wiggum) doing sterling work on the Bear...

Fuselage started..

Trumpeter_Tu_95_Bear_fuselage_1_zpsjzd5e

And some fine work masking up the wings and engines..

Trumpeter_Tu_95_Bear_wing_paint_2_zpsuud

Trumpeter_Tu_95_Bear_wing_paint_3_zpscra

Trumpeter_Tu_95_Bear_wings_paint_1_zpsmw

Trumpeter_Tu_95_Bear_wings_paint_2_zpsqv

And using that universal 'how-big-is-that-thing' guide, the Sky TV remote...

Trumpeter_Tu_95_Bear_fuselage_wings_pain

Our tail gunner giving the middle finger salute is also in his office..

Trumpeter_Tu_95_Bear_tail_zps78w7wnwp.jp

Paint on the fuselage...Vallejo I think Barry?

Trumpeter_Tu_95_Bear_fuselage_paint_1_zp

Trumpeter_Tu_95_Bear_fuselage_paint_2_zp

Trumpeter_Tu_95_Bear_cockpit_paint_zps5a

Unfortunately, it was about this time that one of the engines let go from its mounting inside the nacelle. :badmood:

Chief and I discussed it a lot and we both agreed it just wasn't worth the hassle for him to open up the nacelle again, ruin all that tidy paintwork to retrieve the motor. We also had to think about how we were going to mount (and transport) the Bear (as it would be wired into the base) so in the end, we both decided the Bear wouldn't have her props turning on the final diorama - yes its a pity but we're still both really excited how the final display is going to look!

Decal update next and thanks as always for looking.

Dermot and Barry (Chief Wiggum).

• Like 4