Focke Wulf Fw190D9 Yellow 4 of 11/JG54

Here is my Tamiya Fw190D9 finished as Yellow 4 of 11/JG54 as flown by Gefr. Werner Merz from Oldenberg in the autumn of 1944. The model was built OOB except for the gun barrels and the pitot tube which are made from Albion Alloys tubing. The decals are from the Kagero Fw190 Volume 4 book which includes a profile of this aircraft. Painted using Mr Color acrylics and weathered using various pastels and Mig enamel washes.

thumb_IMG_1695_1024_zpsslxo4mv6-L.jpg

thumb_IMG_1697_1024_zpsxjbqr2k3-L.jpg

thumb_IMG_1698_1024_zps2tvdtm1g-L.jpg

thumb_IMG_1696_1024_zpsjz4yskqw-L.jpg

thumb_IMG_1694_1024_zpspjdjvy5o-L.jpg

thumb_IMG_1699_1024_zpsqc0k6uhz-L.jpg

Duncan B

• Like 20

Another top draw spray job although the upper surface colours look at little light, the RLM75 especially which is strange as you use Gunze, must be due to the lighting or flash?

• Like 1

Subtle weathering is an art form in itself I believe - and you have it mastered. Especially like the curly bit on the prop cone - in 1/72 that must have been a story in itself.

Nice one Duncan,

Cheers,

Mike

• Like 1

You have either used a very dark RLM 70 on the propeller blades or you have painted them black.

Chris

RLM70 is a very dark green! If you compare the blades to the spinner, which is painted black, you can see there is a difference between the two.

Tim.

• Like 1

RLM70 is a very dark green! If you compare the blades to the spinner, which is painted black, you can see there is a difference between the two.

Tim.

I know what RLM 70 is and what it's supposed to look like. It just seems very dark in Duncan's pictures. I copied the images and inlarged them and can see the slight contrast now, but not on the original posted pics.

Chris

I'm happy enough with the prop colour it's the camo colours that are all over the place but I quite like them so that's how I left it.

Both the Tamiya and Hasegawa Fw190D kits have the wheel wells fully boxed in which is wrong for the Dora but I'm not going to worry about it, not enough time and too many models in the stash to bother.

Duncan B

• Like 2

Other than my question regarding the prop colour, I quite like the job you've done. I particularly like the fine scalloping you've done on the forward fuselage top colour. Very nice.

Chris

• Like 1

Lovely job Duncan, especially on how accurate the paint job is, german WW2 schemes always scare me because of the mottling, you've done a great job with this one!

Rich

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I don't visit the wingy things here that often Duncan but lovely builds like this make the trip very worthwhile. Nice model matey!

• Like 1