Focke Wulf Fw190D9, Red 3 JV44

Here is my Tamiya Fw190D9 built OOB with the exception of the gun barrels and Pitot tube which are Albion Alloys tube. The markings are for Hptm Waldemar Wubke's Red 3 of the well known protection flight of JV44 based at Munchen-Riem in April 1945. I used decals from the Kagero Fw190 Volume 4 book which includes a profile of this aircraft. Painted with Mr Color Arcylics for the camouflage and underside colours with the exception of Polyscale for the "RLM84 Sky" colour using the profile as a guide.

thumb_IMG_1687_1024_zps58nasmig-L.jpg

thumb_IMG_1688_1024_zpsuvtpe7gr-L.jpg

thumb_IMG_1690_1024_zps2cbouyxl-L.jpg

thumb_IMG_1691_1024_zps15k9uwmf-L.jpg

thumb_IMG_1692_1024_zpsffwedtrq-L.jpg

thumb_IMG_1693_1024_zpsfshucc8z-L.jpg

FAFC7CFC-FF0A-45A9-857B-3FCC17206C03_zps

Duncan B

• Like 23

Again I must ask: did you paint the prop black or a very dark RLM 30?

Chris

RLM30! Is this a newly discovered colour you have personally discovered?

The prop blades on Luftwaffe aircraft were painted in RLM70 which was a very dark green, you can surely see there is a contrast between the spinner and blades, I can anyway.

• Like 1

Arfa, the red and white stripes were so that the Luftwaffe airfield gunners didn't shoot them down as the purpose of this flight was to protect the Me262's of JV44 when they were landing and taking off. The Jumo jet engines of the Me262 were very prone to stalling and surging if throttled up too quickly so the 262's were very vulnerable in the circuit.

Chris, the props are painted RLM70, as Tim says, it's a very dark green. Some colour profiles do show this aircraft with black props but I decided to stick to the convention for them. To be honest I'm not really bothered about 100% accuracy anyway as I just build for fun and if other people like them that is a bonus.

Thanks to everybody for the nice comments.

Duncan B

• Like 1

RLM30! Is this a newly discovered colour you have personally discovered?

The prop blades on Luftwaffe aircraft were painted in RLM70 which was a very dark green, you can surely see there is a contrast between the spinner and blades, I can anyway.

Sorry about that. I have corrected my typo. On closer look at enlarged images, I can see a slight contrast between the two, but not when I first looked. That is a very dark RLM 70 you have there.

Chris

Hi Duncan, coincidently I am going through a phase of building 1/72 scale Fw 190's at the moment. Practicing with my new airbrush.

I really like the models you are producing, the finish is excellent. I agree with your sentiment as there is a real sense of satisfaction to getting a model finished to some thing like you intended.

• Like 1

Your right, I found a Fw 190 A-4 of the North African campaign which is RLM -79 Sandgelb and RLM -76 Weissblau of Afolf Dickfeld Kommanddeur of II./JG2 at Kairouan in Tunisia that is unusual and striking that I am doing at the moment. There are so many to go at.

• Like 1