Yet another 2 Vulcan B2.. XM571 XH537

Well in betwean the other things I have going on I can't resist making another one of these.

I fancy doing a strike command Era Vulcan B2. I'm not sure which one yet as a few take my fancy.

Maybe xm611 in 101sqn, or Xl392 from 617 Sqn, or maybe XM571 known as the "The Granny Basher" !

Love to know why that is ?

Or maybe another one whatever it is im sure it won't be the last and I'd like one in the strike era scheme to sit next to my model of XL444 from last year.

So once again we start with a box of bits.

AC6F2814-D80B-433D-9FBE-22EBE7175468_zps

I'm doing this build down stairs in betwean resin castings too from one of my other threads :)

Cheers Rob :)

Edited by robvulcan
  • Like 1

E1F321C0-4A07-4BDA-ABAE-7A9B1FF798CE_zps

I started by spraying the insides of the intakes with hu64 rattle can paint as a primer. I will then brush these hu166 as many Vulcans in the strike command era had them in light grey rather than white. I used to think they where all white but when you look at it many of them had light grey same as the undersides others did have white too.

E1F321C0-4A07-4BDA-ABAE-7A9B1FF798CE_zps

I chucked the tail together all 3 pieces on it

B3B005EE-2F0C-4472-BE27-6F5841C5D664_zps

Fitted the cute pit not much in here

14D6686C-A421-4E77-A779-4781E19199D2_zps

And fitted the bay doors

828DE275-B39F-43C6-9598-6938CE814FF4_zps

Rob :)

• Like 2

Nice start Rob...soon have enough to cover the entire table, (plus 1 more !)...

Well that's the idea build a heathy stable of them for the shows. Gives me a good excuse to build them ;)

Wow Rob, what an output!

I have a picture in my head of you building a B2 with one hand, moulding tail sections with the other and typing posts with your feet.

Goodness knows where you've got the brush! (Oh, that's probably a bit much, sorry).

• Like 1

Wow Rob, what an output!

I have a picture in my head of you building a B2 with one hand, moulding tail sections with the other and typing posts with your feet.

Goodness knows where you've got the brush! (Oh, that's probably a bit much, sorry).

LOL no not too far for me mate. My sense of humor knows few if any boundaries. The molding dont take long your just mixing and pouring a few liquids, Its the time to set thats the long part. Same with resin mix up 2 parts pour job done.

Its the scratching that thats the time... Oh look a brush ! :yikes:

• Like 1

Ok you've converted me Rob! I've got one of these now!

Loved the ones you had on show at Cosford and it was good to meet you. I'll be following progress on this one, and can't wait to see which one you go for,

Cheers

John

Ok you've converted me Rob! I've got one of these now!

Loved the ones you had on show at Cosford and it was good to meet you. I'll be following progress on this one, and can't wait to see which one you go for,

Cheers

John

Hi John it was great meeting you at the show can't believe how quick it went too !, yep they are lovely kits to make, not a lot to put together but best route to a decent size good looking Vulcan

Hi Rob, I'll be watching this one and taking notes... no re-scribing on this kit!

Regards, gazza l

Hi Gazza yep no rescribing on this one, well a little bit on the radome as its got one problem there but not worth a worry really, it's got a few issues but again very little to really worry about, bulged nose etc I will go through it as I did on XL444 from last year. It's XL444 I want a companion for. Here she is I think she's the best Vulcan I've made im

Just really happy with the way the camo came out I think :)

XL444ROBHAYESAKAROBVULCAN2014FLYOVER_zps

Be nice to get some photos with them both like this when this 'ns done :)

• Like 2

Strewth, Uncool, how's it hanging fella ?..........Rob, XM571 would be a good choice as aside from '558 it has to be just about the most photographed Vulcan about. She took part in the 1979 Giant Voice bombing comp out at Barksdale adorned with the 'granny basher' legend on the right nose gear door, possibly in deference to the ageing competition, (though in fairness there wouldn't be much in it). I'll see what I can find out about it. There was a right mish mash of schemes going on at that time so there's plenty of options out there.......now be a good chap and get it finished for Sunday....

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 2

Good stuff Rob, ever since I joined BM I've really enjoyed all your Vulcan builds! Just how many have you built mate, and have they all been photographed together?

Fab, i must get this Vulcan. Actually went shopping for one but ended up with a Minicraft KC97 tanker instead...

Cheers mate,

Viv

• Like 1

Strewth, Uncool, how's it hanging fella ?

Hey, Melchie! :bye:

Aw, me's awlright, my mate; thanks for askin.' Dropped in on just to snoop on Robbie's yet-another-Vulcan build.

Incidentally, how's Mrs Melchett? Lookin' forward to RWC 2015; last week I was tryin' to remember whether ya once told me she used to be a loosehead or a tighthead prop back in the day... :hmmm: Warmest regards 'n' respect to her.

Cheers, Andy!

Unc²

Strewth, Uncool, how's it hanging fella ?..........Rob, XM571 would be a good choice as aside from '558 it has to be just about the most photographed Vulcan about. She took part in the 1979 Giant Voice bombing comp out at Barksdale adorned with the 'granny basher' legend on the right nose gear door, possibly in deference to the ageing competition, (though in fairness there wouldn't be much in it). I'll see what I can find out about it. There was a right mish mash of schemes going on at that time so there's plenty of options out there.......now be a good chap and get it finished for Sunday....

Hmm XM571 I do like a lot, I have not decided yet but I would like to do XM571 at some stage if not now but I would like to make up some decals for "Granny Basher" I love the shots of XM571 over the forest seems she was in many many sqns, 50 , 617, 101 and more IIRC.

:yahoo: Yeh, Robbie, YEH! :frantic:

Uncle Uncool always seems very Kewl to me :)

Good stuff Rob, ever since I joined BM I've really enjoyed all your Vulcan builds! Just how many have you built mate, and have they all been photographed together?

Fab, i must get this Vulcan. Actually went shopping for one but ended up with a Minicraft KC97 tanker instead...

Cheers mate,

Viv

Thanks mate glad you like it, Well there must be well over 50 now... Crazy I know.. No photos of them all together yet but there was a post with many of my old ones some where. I must do an update soon.

I quite fancy some of the Minicraft Kits Is that a new tooling or old one.

All the best Rob :)

Well Rob, we both know you can NEVER have too many Vulcans!! :thumbsup: The only thing that puts me off your choice of kit is the scale - I just do not like 1/144. IMHO, Avro's finest ( apologies to all you Lanc fans!) needs a bigger scale to really do it justice. Of course, I fully appreciate that space limitations have to be taken into account!!. I currently have no less than 5 Airfix Vulcans in my stash. One of which will be a B Mk 1 (using the excellent Flightpath conversion).

You do realise of course that the minute I start on the first one,Airfix will announce a brand new tool 1/72 Vulcan B1/B1A/B2 for 2016!! :lol:

Allan

ps - lovely job as always mate!

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 2

Well Rob, we both know you can NEVER have too many Vulcans!! :thumbsup: The only thing that puts me off your choice of kit is the scale - I just do not like 1/144. IMHO, Avro's finest ( apologies to all you Lanc fans!) needs a bigger scale to really do it justice. Of course, I fully appreciate that space limitations have to be taken into account!!. I currently have no less than 5 Airfix Vulcans in my stash. One of which will be a B Mk 1 (using the excellent Flightpath conversion).

You do realise of course that the minute I start on the first one,Airfix will announce a brand new tool 1/72 Vulcan B1/B1A/B2 for 2016!! :lol:

Allan

ps - lovely job as always mate!

Hi Allen absolutley right, yep it does need a bigger kit no denying that. However these are a nice size to do and I am

Not fussy in that regard plus space is an issue for me

So it's very welcome.

I always felt 1/96 was the perfect size but it's not in vouge any more.

If that's the case then please get cracking of love to see a new tool Vulcan ! If they can do a shackleton they can do a few V bombers :)

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Well as I gradually catch up with all the many unfinished builds here we are at this one about 2 or 3 years later...

I have missed out some of the build as I seemed to have cracked on and either missed the photos or neglected to take them.

Either way the build up of this kid is very simple.

Its been somewhat of a disaster this kit not the kits fault just my luck after building so many with no problems this one I used to try different things.

It was all going well I decided to try and improve the wing angle on this kit they tend to droop towards the ground at the tips and I have managed to make them more parralel. I have made this one in flight mode and added a metal refueling probe and removed the TFR Thimble. I decided to try and tint the windows orange at the front and the paint dried in a strange manner so it will look a bit awful when the masks come off but I have a plan to remeedy this.

I also decided to do this Vulcan as XM571 "The Granny Basher" In a faded scheme so I used some different paints and plan to weather this.

I will need to as the masking has been a disaster trying a new method different to my usual blue take method and it did not go quite to plan !.

So Here is where I am at now.

26136304408_2a34099fe7_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

As you can see its all together the windows a litte bit of a mess inside. Mods to the tail fin to make it truely flat a the top and reduction of the intake boundary plates. The TFR thimble removed and the wings straightened out.

I am modelling it in this condition with the bombing competition markings.

38706012720_f9c84606a0_h.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

I had given it a coat of Halfords yellow primer and a rub down then I sprayed it in Tamiya Rattle can USAF Light grey as I am wanting to replicate the Pale worn look in the photos and this is the closest I can find to that almost whitish grey. The intakes where masked with the new Tamiya 2mm tape (awful stuff in my expirience it dont stick to anything...) More on that later.

40473675722_19e921393c_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

40515971961_ab5ebd14df_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

Metal Pin used for the refueling probe.

39620956265_936a409dd7_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

Normally I spray the dark green then the grey as I find it easier to mask off the colour I see as the dominant colour and I usually use blue tak... This time I tried to replicate a true hard edge camo and do the grey first and then the green. Its so much harder to mask this way as I keep wanting to mask the green but need to mask the grey.

I decided to try this new Tamiya tape for curves it was looking really good and put a lot of effort in. It took hours and as you will see its a disaster with rattle cans and the damn stuff lifts It does not stay put even on tamiya paint... I used Tamiya Rattle Can Royal Light Grey to get that faded bone grey look.

40473675882_4c942a2189_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

Tamiya Royal Light Grey looks good as a faded medium sea grey.

40473678232_101e3d4fb9_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

The real thing make your eyes Blur and you will see how effective the camo is it disapears. Love how the light grey and dark green blend into snowy forest.

40515970901_dff781abc3_z.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

I was really exited about this masking. (I am really missing airbrushing now its been a few years I need to sort it out.)

25646037947_e746cbc5f3_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

I used this beat up diecast as a basis for the camo as it was XM571 not quite right for the real one but I loved the pattern on this model and it was a help in following it rather than photos.

26645305698_b47e1f7ec2_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

So it was on to the Green I wanted it very Dark as in the photos so I used Tamiya TS-2 Dark Green. In the next post you will see the disaster it was and now trying to remedy. Its a good job I wanted to weather this model.

40541144731_f7601159f6_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

40498575282_5f63d2f8c2_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

40541144841_5484501747_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

Next up paint disaster.,,,

Rob :)

Edited by robvulcan
  • Like 9

So here is the disaster unveil. I am really happy with the pattern but..... man that tape kept lifting nothing I could do I dont know why Tamiya Tape I swear by and this new 2mm For curve I was REALLY SWEARING LOUD AT. 

The new Tamiya tape is wonderful for curves and a hard edge but it just does not stick to the paint and where it curves it may stick at first but it will keep lifting and returning to its plastic memory shape. Maybe its the solvent leeching out the paint thats the issue. I dont know but for now I will be sticking to old Tamiya tape and the Blue tak.

Maybe if it was done with an Airbrush or Paint brush Id have had a better time the Tamiya Aerosols are damn potent but as its all Tamiya products you think it would be compatible. Maybe its something else ive done.

its a shame as its lovely tape to work with.

I think the way forward for me is to start decanting Tamiya paints as I love their colors and AB the models in  small areas at a time.

40498574472_10b2fc27ea_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

39830557154_ba231fc655_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

39830557124_a088a12230_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

26670082998_d8a60dbed7_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

25670448167_74d406def7_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

So now I went and had a Cup of tea and then a Bottle of Beaujolais and Steak and Chips to mull it over.

I later attacked it with a scalpel to get of the worst of the runs and micromeshed at other areas. Then I mixed up some grey similar to the tamiya grey and wend aroun with the hairy stick bloting out the mess.

39645191805_be5e482861_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

39829846284_2da6f60a54_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

40540400581_8dada68cc3_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

39645182315_8ee97c3cba_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

39645181395_d5f1e4c551_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

Looks ok but too light so I have micromeshed the excess and this has left me with a nice base to touch up. This has now given me a new challenge brushing Tamiya Paint. ... Somehing ive not had success with but I have not tried it like the other acrylics with W&N Flow Improver.

So I went shopping and luckily they do Royal Light Grey in a bottle so I got two and some thinner so I can try both and see what brushes best.

40540391201_9944a94344_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

So hopefully now I got this I can throw it all on and make the Vulcan pretty and look a little beat up with some panel variations that look intentional and not like im polishing a tird which I totally am this time.

Cheers Rob  :)

• Like 3