Dragon Sherman Mk.III 1/72

BerndM

Hi, it seems, i can t stop building Shermans. While german AFVs are quite often here, i didn t found another british Sherman Mk.III, especially in 1/72.

The kit is on the same quality level, like the M4A1 but if you want to use the very nice decals from the box, you need other road wheels. Dragon supplied the later closed wheels, but i need the open spoked wheels. A Trumpeter M4 kit came to help. Trumpeter has two versions of wheels inside the box.

Kit bashing is easy in theory, in "real live" there can be problems. I started with the suspension. everythink was o.K but Trumpys wheel bogeys are too narrow for the Dragon kit. I used, to make "space" the little number plates on the sprues.

Made photos of it and the sprues from the kit and from the Trumpeter kit, sorry for the bad quality and most of the progress pics are unusable, thanks to bad light conditions and my mistake photo skills.

There are also pics from the Dragon and Trumpeter hull, note the weld seams on the Dragon plastic and the reason, why the Trumpeter M4 is so wrong. The glacis plate has the wrong angle that makes the whole hull looking wrong, will build this kit with a help from a Modeltrans resin hull.

Cheers

Bernd

16564612783_af93be1d29_b.jpg16977385527_2b8c06c179_b.jpg16977386707_37f2da4372_b.jpg16997037208_1940ba5f8e_b.jpg16997279670_bf50cfb068_b.jpg17184222841_312ac9b16d_b.jpg16564627673_fb96947bf4_b.jpg16997287300_d22b5e1206_b.jpg

• Like 7

Hi Stix, after i had some other kits in my hand, i decided to go with another Sherman.

You can t have enough of them, sadly, i had to trash the pics from the yesterday evening session, but more soon to come

Thank you mates, here some progress. Did not much on this kit, this week and had to trash some photos of the progress.

But here we are !

The running gear is on, the Trumpeter wheel bogeys are now connected with the Dragon hull, the tracks are on and the whole affair has some paint on it.

Made (again) a damage, this time on the gear box but its (again) an easy fix

Wish you a great Friday evening

Cheers

Bernd

17068659840_717baeb5eb_b.jpg17068647500_5bafcdbf75_b.jpg17048785537_0c428b3594_b.jpg

• Like 5

Good progress Bernd. Good idea about using the Trumpeter parts. It's all looking very good and I too can't wait to see what you do with this one!

Hope you have a great weekend!

Kind regards,

Stix

• 2 weeks later...

ESCI/Italeri & Trumpeter have traditionally been the 'go-to' kits for 1/72 Sherman spares, but I think Heller will become the kit of choice, especially if they add more variants to their range. :pipe:

Looking forward to the next installment. :popcorn:

• Like 2

Hi mates, everthing is well, incl. the build but i had not much time for modelling the last time. Progress is little but important. I run into a fit problem, connecting the upper und the underside of the hull

that need a very careful putty and sand session. Actually there wers some of them and i hope its fixed now, will post soon pictures and hope i can proceed on the assembly and paint work, this coming weekend

• Like 1

Hi Bernd. Good to know there's been some progress. Sorry you had problems with the fit of the hull parts. Hope you have a great weekend and manage to get some modelling time in!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Hi, here is one pic, done during the fitting process of the hull. Made yesterday some more progress and i hope i can now proceed on the build.

Have a great Sunday, mates. More soon to come

Best

Bernd

17760788252_8fe0979b42_b.jpg

• Like 7

Hi Bernd. Good to see more progress. Hope you had a good weekend - weekends fly by don't they! Two more weekends to go in this GB. I've got all the five tanks basically complete now - I'll post some update photos tomorrow if I get chance. Next I need to finish some more figures and think about what I'm going to do about bases.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Morning Stix, did some more progress on this one, yesterday. Looks like a tank now, i am not sure if i get this done before 31.05.

Yesterdays progress was promising, we will see.

Your builds are all head turners and well presented, well done.

Will leave the comanders hatch on this one open, maybe i get at some time a dashing desert army tank commander

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well new pics didn t came soon, sorry for that, did not much progress on this one the last time. I am still not satisfied with the fit of the front glacis plate and the mud guards.

The best is for me, to put the kit beside for a while and solve the problems with new energy and motivation.

Here are some pics of the current status

18172338776_4d4478bccb_b.jpg18010956738_73449b3236_b.jpg

• Like 5

In the meantime i have solved the problems on another build and i hope i can finish this one, this time and get back to the Sherman at some time. I am wondering, i ve i can use the AB AP507A deck color for the tarmac color too.... :hmmm:

MSW02_zpsfboiwe7b.jpg

• Like 4