Mitsubishi Ki 21 II type 97 "Sally" - Revell 1/72

Hi

Still some Japan airplanes from my archive shelvs remains not posted yet. Today I would like to share with Mitsubishi Ki 21 II type 97, in Allies code "Sally". Markings are from 12 Sentai, 1 Chutai JAAF, China 1942. NM is sprayed from can, green spots are painted with hairy stick. Original Hinomarus cracked with years - just before posting I had to replace them by a Techmod ones.

Comments welcome and regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

ki21 DSC03969ki21 DSC03968ki21 DSC03967ki21 DSC03966ki21 DSC03965ki21 DSC03964ki21 DSC03963

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 22

Another great camouflage pattern from you today. Very well done.

• Like 1

Thank you Shawn, Fatboydim and Mitch for comments :)

As you noticed - the camo was a bit labour, indeed. But It does not hurts eyes, I hope.

I was painting it a couple of hours. The main problem is to still calm - otherwise you may go to paint bigger spots...And the paint is drying etc...But you know it perfectly doing similar stuff.

Cheers

Jerzy-Wojtek

• Like 2

Hi Jerzy,

nice model with extraordinary camo scheme. Didn´t know there was a Revell kit of that plane.

Cheers,

Mario

I'd wish Revell would locate the molds and rerelease it.

Actually it was from Revell Takara, obviously a Co-Production.

• Like 2

Excellent work on the Ki 21 even if it's a bad idea to look at the camouflage for too long! :blink2:

I'd wish Revell would locate the molds and rerelease it.

Actually it was from Revell Takara, obviously a Co-Production.

There's rumours they're at the bottom of the sea, though according to the article from Aviation of Japan, this hasn't been confirmed: http://www.aviationofjapan.com/2012/03/whatever-happened-to-sally-and-other.html

Now the price for a Revell Ki 21 is creeping up to the £100 mark on eBay, which means I'll probably be too conscious of this to build mine that I managed to buy a while ago for around £20

Edited by Hypnobear
  • Like 2

Thank you Albertrand71, Doozer74, Occa, Hypnobear, Wildsau75 and Jason for comments and also other Gentelmen for likes.

Especially thank to Mario and Occa for starting discussion on the history of the kit and Hypnobear for the link to the story on other Revell Japan twins. Interesting to read. BTW -I have three others also, but done at end of seventhies, when I was in secondary school. When I clean them enough I will post.

And yes - Wilsau75, as I mentioned in first post - the silver was sprayed from a can and green spots were brush painted, listening meanwhile to some jazz... - rather ballads I guest.Not a single CD painting session for sure:).

Cheers

J-W

• Like 3

Thank you Albertrand71, Doozer74, Occa, Hypnobear, Wildsau75 and Jason for comments and also other Gentelmen for likes.

Especially thank to Mario and Occa for starting discussion on the history of the kit and Hypnobear for the link to the story on other Revell Japan twins. Interesting to read. BTW -I have three others also, but done at end of seventhies, when I was in secondary school. When I clean them enough I will post.

And yes - Wilsau75, as I mentioned in first post - the silver was sprayed from a can and green spots were brush painted, listening meanwhile to some jazz... - rather ballads I guest.Not a single CD painting session for sure:).

Cheers

J-W

Glad to see a model kit that was actually "before my time". Interesting stories about kit origin and painting techniques. Wonder how the green spots have looked if you listened to Heavy Metal or something like that during painting ;)

Cheers,

Mario

• Like 3

Thank you Bernd and Mario for comments.

Mario - I think with heavy metal music spots will be bigger and more regular, one more similar to another....- perhaps, but who knows it for sure? :) :)

• Like 3

Hi Jerzy!!!!!

As I have seen I have been missing many good things not coming soon here!!!

You are very fortunate to have invested in those gems when you found them, as I have seen there were many Revell Associates around the world, just hope that Kiko from Brazil or Lodela from México have released at least once those nice models,as if things happened as said, many of us will have no chance to find them.

What can I say about your work that has not said before by the Gents that came before?????.....JUST A GREAT WORK, I really admire the Surgeon's dexterity you have, as I have been not so gifted since I was young and have had always a kind of some hand tremor, every time I have had to work with a cammo like yours, I always prefered to paint a day after a party or something like that as after have enjoyed, danced and drinked a lot, next day woke up very calm and with the apriopriate mood and soft Jazz music to do something that seems resemble your magnificent work......maybe if I found two new or built to reconstruct, will try the old formula and will see what have happened to you, one with the old formula and one listening Hard Rock as Mario said, just fortry and after that to laugh loudly....and later repaint........JAJAJAJAJAJAJA

Thank you very much for share with us,

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 2