Italeri Moto Guzzi V850 California 1/6

Guess it would have been feasible to paint one side of the engine block and one cylinder and left the other side clear to view internals ? Brilliant job ....... :thumbsup:

BillyD

Absolutely! Now why didn't I think of that? :banghead:

This is where I'm up to today, steps 125 to 139: more wiring and making up the Bowden cables. Can't say I was looking forward to this bit but it wasn't as difficult as I thought owing to the clear and thorough instructions. You even get spare nylon cord to practice melting the tiny securing beads.

The only downside is that the cabling is way over scale but anything smaller would probably be impossible to make.

bowden%20cables1_zpshcecafoe.jpg

more%20wiring_zpsu6zsctrx.jpg

• Like 2

Today's update, fitting the control cables. The twist grip throttle was particularly awkward as there's a securing screw on the underside of the handlebar. To get to it you have to turn the beast upside down and support it on the rather bendy bar which, unlike Tamiya, is plastic and has the potential to break!

control%20cables1_zpszaw1s2rl.jpg

control%20cables2_zpscikuy964.jpg

The carbs have sliding valves in them which are supposed to move up or down when the twist grip is turned. This didn't work for me. No matter, there's nothing much to see anyway.

control%20cables3_zpsrtvwe4hm.jpg

No problems with the front brakes and clutch controls which 'work' as intended.

control%20cables4_zpscpgrvjvd.jpg

Next up, side fenders and exhausts.

• Like 2

These pics cover steps 141 to 150. Side fenders and exhausts fitted not without a small issue. The fixing screws for the exhausts were too short and failed to bind securely. Had to resort to CA and glue the screws in the holes.

side%20fenders1_zpsvmonrrz4.jpg

side%20fenders3_zpssasvluiu.jpg

I've jumped ahead a bit here and assembled the fuel tank. The decorative lining is a 'dry transfer', something I've not come across before in a plastic kit. My first attempt at applying it (on the other side of the tank) was a failure and messed up big time. The problem is you can't reposition them so you've got to get it right first time. I didn't :(

The chrome panel is a sticker and the Moto Guzzi logo is a water-slide decal. The seam will be hidden later with another decal.

fuel%20tank_zpslqkw615d.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Most of the dry transfer on this side of the tank was too messed up to rescue, got all creased and wrinkled and then stuck to itself :( The white lining on top of the tank is also a dry transfer which went on without too much difficulty, but it is rather odd that they aren't water-slide :mental:

fuel%20tank%20fail_zps9wnza73v.jpg

fuel%20tank%20good_zps7ojwnoiy.jpg

The sides of the saddle are supposed to be white but I'm loathe to paint it as it's soft textured rubber and will be a devil to mask without bleed-through.

saddle_zpsl5j7ytyg.jpg

• Like 3

Got a local sign shop? Ask them for some high performance white vinyl scraps. Try that and see if it will work. Heat and pressure makes it stick. Hi-po is the thinnest of the sign vinyls ,coming in around .5 mm. thickness.

Ya gotta have the white sides ! , it finishes the 'look' of the bike.

Gutsi is lookin' good!

Edited by krow113
  • Like 1

Got a local sign shop? Ask them for some high performance white vinyl scraps. Try that and see if it will work. Heat and pressure makes it stick. Hi-po is the thinnest of the sign vinyls ,coming in around .5 mm. thickness.

Ya gotta have the white sides ! , it finishes the 'look' of the bike.

Gutsi is lookin' good!

Agreed its gotta have white sides to look the part. Your vinyl scraps suggestion has given me an idea, sticky-back plastic, more commonly known as Fablon. It's thin and very sticky. Only problem is I'd have to buy a whole roll :(

I might have a go with Maskol first but it won't be for a while as I'm off on my hols :)

• 2 weeks later...

Pm your address if you like , I'll send you some vinyl.

Just got back from my hols and will resume work on the beast real soon. I'll try a fine tipped white paint pen first and if that messes up I'll take you up on your kind offer :)

Finally got round to dealing with the saddle which has turned out acceptable but not perfect. I ended up using Humbrol Maskol and Tamiya white acrylic. Masking tape won't even stick to the finely textured rubber!

The panniers have removable lids (fire extinguisher not included).

panniers1_zpsrqeldn95.jpg

This completes the build.

• Like 1