Italeri Moto Guzzi V850 California 1/6

Been drooling over this kit for ages and finally managed to get my hands on one at an attractive price. Everything about it is impressive and dare I say 'Pocheresque'?

Obligatory box shots:

box1_zpse0zt1bkm.jpg

box2_zpsfefpneos.jpg

box%20detail3_zpswthoglgj.jpg

box%20detail1_zps82bxb19r.jpg

box%20detail2_zpsnlcblzzz.jpg

Clear parts for the engine and gearbox. The textured saddle is quite convincing.

engine%20saddle_zps8emtogmq.jpg

The box of hardware with rusty shafts for the front forks. Guess they've been in storage in a damp warehouse somewhere. The included screwdriver isn't very useful as the blade is too thick for the majority of the tiny screws.

box%20of%20bits3_zpsmnlwawz5.jpg

Steps 1 to 5 of the very thorough instructions are for the assembly of the crankcase and pistons. The engine is intended to be fully working but past experience with moving plastic parts has shown that this is not always successful. For now I'm keeping paint well away from any moving surfaces.

Not visible in the pic is a camshaft for the valve gear push-rods.

crank%20case1_zpswvp36sum.jpg

Piston rings fitted complete with unwanted fibres and dust!

piston%20rings3_zpsvj6ixtxw.jpg

Steps 6 to 14, cylinders, cylinder heads and working valve gear.

engine%20cylinders1_zpsmnrid28e.jpg

cylinder%20heads_zpslpjred9f.jpg

engine%20cylinder%20heads2_zpszemcxa57.j

Amazingly it all seems to work at this stage, the engines turns (stiffly) and the valves open and close :)

But there's still a lot more to do ............

• Like 1

Steps 15 to 20: Oil filter, oil pump drive gearing and distributor assembly.

oil%20filter1_zpspzlinzsq.jpg

The distributor is supposed to rotate, it doesn't :(

distributor2_zps7jyqmpmz.jpg

Edited by activexp

Steps 21 to 24: The dynamo. Even though the innards can't be seen I thought I'd paint them up anyway.

dynamo1_zpscab057sn.jpg

dynamo2_zpsjwed9vxq.jpg

The drive belt appears to be real rubber, nice.

dynamo3_zpsooh93zab.jpg

• Like 1

Wow never heard of a kit which has a semi working engine, love the idea and looks like your having a blast building it!!

I will be following this one

Yes it's a fabulous kit and very well engineered with good quality materials. It's not cheap but as they say, you get what you pay for.

Steps 25 to 26: Cylinder head covers, oil-blaze tank (not sure what that is), some pipes and clutch.

The 'working' clutch comprises of 7 plastic parts and 8 small springs. After assembly which was easier than it looks, only 4 parts are visible.

clutch%20parts2_zpsxc6unqnv.jpg

clutch%20assembly_zpsupa21upi.jpg

engine%20clutch_zpsmvx80xga.jpg

Next step, assembling the gearbox which looks like it might be challenging!

Steps 27 to 31: Assembling the gearbox. It looked a bit daunting on paper but was reasonably hassle-free in practice.

gear%20shafts1_zps7s6jwyaq.jpg

gear%20shafts2_zpsrw0sfnse.jpg

This is the tricky bit, getting the four shafts into the corresponding holes in the casing all at the same time. If just one shaft moves out of alignment you have to start all over again. After several attempts I came up with a solution, liberally coating the shafts and gears with silicone grease to act as a 'glue'.

gear%20box3_zpsmxcak0jp.jpg

Job done complete with grease, and yes it all turns :).

gear%20box4_zpsu1mi8ihf.jpg

Steps 32 to 34: Starter motor and mounting the completed gearbox to the engine.

You have an option here, either engaged with the flywheel so the motor turns, or neutral. As it's visible I went for engaged.

starter%20motor5_zpsewylzkly.jpg

This is how it all goes together.

starter%20motor6_zps3yvsrjx2.jpg

The engine is more or less complete now as far as moving parts are concerned. Does it all move as intended? Yes! Well almost, the distributor stubbornly refuses to comply. It's quite cool to see the starter motor spinning round when you crank the engine over.

engine%20and%20gearbox8_zpslntgihdy.jpg

Next steps, carbs and air filter.

• Like 1

Very nice, I think it's awesome and very much like the way you are describing the build, keep it up!!

Thanks A5h, it's good to know the effort is appreciated :)

Steps 35 to 40: Carbs, air filter and battery.

There are some other parts to be added to the carbs later in the build as the twist grip throttle actually functions.

carbs2_zpsth41snol.jpg

The air filter casing. The filter element is another hidden part.

air%20filter1_zps4cpran9h.jpg

There are 17 parts to the battery plus 2 screws. I wasn't too happy with filler caps as for some reason they're chromed with rather long stems so they sit high on the top of the battery. In the instructions they are drawn with finger-grip grooved edges but these are smooth chrome.

battery%20parts1_zpsqafqa1s9.jpg

Since taking these pics I've modified the filler caps by cutting off the stems so they sit flush. Looks much better.

air%20filter%20battery2_zpsvrnbxydz.jpg

Next up, the frame etc, etc...

I Googley thingied. Getting it for a reasonable price must be a relative thing. That's one kit where you don't want to fluff anything at all. Very interesting.

You should be able to build a real one after this!

It's certainly an education into the workings of engines and gearboxes for those who are unfamiliar with these things. Apparently the original Protar kit had a small electric motor to turn the engine over but Italeri removed it to keep costs down.

I Googley thingied. Getting it for a reasonable price must be a relative thing. That's one kit where you don't want to fluff anything at all. Very interesting.

There's certainly a big variation in price for this kit, from £230 to £350. I paid £190 for it from Germany, took advantage of the favourable Euro exchange rate at the time and also converted a shed-load of Ebay nectar points into cash. So yeah a reasonable price is a relative thing.

I'm taking my time with this one :)

Steps 41 to 45: Rear brake push-rod, frame assembly, ignition coil and horn.

frame1_zps4bxxl9pw.jpg

Went together with no problems. The rear brake is yet another working part

frame2_zpso0ewytwz.jpg

Next up, the shaft drive transmission.

Your taking your time and flying!!

I looked on youtube at this kit, there's a vid on there which should all the working parts in motion, the kit is a masterpiece with over 700 parts!! and from what we have seen so far, everything fits like a glove.

Anyway, your doing a marvelous job so far, keep it up :thumbsup:

Your taking your time and flying!!

I looked on youtube at this kit, there's a vid on there which should all the working parts in motion, the kit is a masterpiece with over 700 parts!! and from what we have seen so far, everything fits like a glove.

Anyway, your doing a marvelous job so far, keep it up :thumbsup:

Yeah more than 770 parts according to the blurb on the box, not sure if they're including the hardware in that figure. There are 133 M2 x 4mm screws alone! Tricky little devils to handle as they're slot head. :devil:

So far everything fits pretty well, some parts needing the usual flash removal and general cleaning up, nothing drastic.

It does look as though I'm flying through this build which I think is testament to how well it goes together. Mind you, some steps only involve 2 parts!

Steps 46 to 51: Transmission case, drive shaft universal joint, pinion gear, crown gear and torque link.

Assembling the universal joint was one of the trickiest parts of this build, if not the trickiest so far. It's a double joint with 2 cross pieces inside the small black housing which then have to be snapped into holes in the forks on the shafts. By its very nature the thing is wibbly wobbly and a juggling act to get the pins to locate and snap in. That's when something really did go 'snap', one side of the grey fork broke off :( Luckily this turned out to be advantageous and made the procedure much easier. Afterwards I glued the broken piece back in position.

drive%20shaft1_zpsdmtag3ja.jpg

drive%20shaft2_zpsuh6l1jq7.jpg

drive%20shaft%20fork_zpsowqijson.jpg

Next up, main stand and rear springs.