Alclad Klear Kote Gloss drying issue...

al_the_drummer

Quick question for anyone who has the time - have you experienced Alclad Klear Kote Gloss not seemingly drying properly?

I recently built a Spitfire ( http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234979756-airfix-spitfire-mk-iia-172-finally-back-at-the-bench/ )and used the aforementioned Gloss. I left it sitting in a warm-ish environment curing for a solid 48 hours, and despite this, with even a little handling it was becoming very tacky...at points I ended up having to actually touch up the paint as it turned to mush. Wondering if it's something I did (misted on 3 coats around an hour apart at 18PSI), or if it's something up with the product...given how good their lacquers & primer are, I'm left a little puzzled...

Any advice greatly appreciated...

Oh, and BTW I used Klear Kote Matt for the final coat, and it dried hard as rock...!

Edited by al_the_drummer

No but I've had the same trouble with their Matt Kotes not drying properly. I dug my Ta154 out that I built probably over 2 years ago that was coated with that stuff and its still tacky now if you hold on to it.

Tim.

• Like 2

The stuff like you say, just isn't reliable to use so it doesn't go anywhere near my models any more. I've not had any trouble, like fu_manchu with Aqua Gloss.

Tim.

• Like 1

I never had any problems with it. I use it exclusively lately and after spraying it dries withing 5 mins. I even start with weathering with oils and washes in 5 mins after spraying without any problem.

My only problem with it and with any other aqua gloss like future floor polish is to have a surface without any dust particles on it :)

that is something i need to deal with very soon i guess.

tommy

• Like 1

Thanks all for the feedback, and whilst I feel everyone's pain in having dealt with the same issue as me I'm glad to hear it's not just me...

I'll grab a bottle of the Aqua Gloss and give that whirl, although I've got some Mr Colour Levelling thinner in a box somewhere, so might have an experiment on a scrap of painted surface to see if that makes a difference. If people don't mind a potential necro-post, I'll report back.

Thanks again, happy modelling.

Al

Thank again to all the posters above...

I've picked up some Aqua Gloss, and it's working perfectly - the first coat is matt-ish, but with 2 or 3 passes of a middling misted coat it's drying with a high gloss, hard-as-anything finish. Looks like Aqua is the way to go...

• Like 1