Airfix 1/48 Canberra PR9 1PRU RAF Wyton mid 80's

Hello folks,

Here it is the one you have undoubtedly been waiting for. In the making for over 3 years, having survived moves from Cambridge to Oxford, back to Cambridge, and finally completed here in Hong Kong. This has been a very lengthy build, some of it due to moving about, and probably most due to my own procrastination and silly mistakes. Overall it was an enjoyable build, but sometimes I lost interest when I seemed to do lots of work and no progress was being made. The work in progress is here: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234919457-airfix-148-canberra-raf-pr9/ however progress was so glacial that almost everyone lost interest!

Anyway, the build; it’s a 1/48 scale Airfix Canberra PR9 of 1PRU RAF Wyton circa mid 80’s. What I wanted to create was something like this: http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK---Air/English-Electric-Canberra/1600302/L/&sid=e1f9a0e44ea2365c9f06358982cb3aec

The kits flaws are well known, but I wanted to make it as accurate as I possibly could. This involved numerous changes and modifications plus aftermarket items to make it look right. The main effort was to remove the vast majority of the overly prominent panel lines, which you cannot see on the prototype (unless exceptionally close) due to the Canberra having a very aerodynamic fuselage. This was the most time consuming part: filling, sanding and priming and repeating until it all looked good. Canberra’s of this time look remarkably shiny and well looked after. Consequently weathering is very light indeed, mostly on the lower light grey surfaces. The kit misses several parts or models them incorrectly; consequently the other corrections and modifications are listed below:

· Fill panel lines

· Re-scribe underside and rudder

· Fill strange lines on the rudder

· Replace vortex generators on the fin

· Add pairs of vortex generators on underside main wings

· Add numerous pitot tubes, intakes etc. to fuselage

· Add HF antenna

· File down oversize upper wing surface vortex generators

· Correct intakes on engine pod sides (Airfix have them on opposite sides)

· Correct navigators windows

· Scratch build cockpit

· Re-profile base of fin

· Add brake lines to main gear

· Mask and spray roundels (mainly as it was impossible to get decals to conform over the VG’s)

· Add fuselage strengthening plates

· Add beacons

· Add loads of nose weight (the total of the model is about 480g)

· Strengthen main and nose-wheel axles with brass rod

· Finished in Tamiya and Xtracrylic paints with Alclad varnish

Aftermarket:

• Pavla ejection seat
  • Masterclass PE flaps
  • CMK (I think) wheel bays – these are superb, although I didn’t use the nose gear bay as the fuselage was together by the time I got them.
  • Xtra Decal and Aviation Workshop transfers

Well that’s about the lot, here are some pictures. I apologise for the quantity, but I have been experimenting with RAW images and a basic Canon photo editor. I hope you enjoy them. Next on the bench is the Kitty Hawk Jaguar. I’m setting a 6 month time limit on this build!!

RFI2.jpg

RFI3.jpg

RFI5.jpg

RFI6.jpg

RFI4.jpg

RFI7.jpg

RFI8.jpg

RFI9.jpg

RFI12.jpg

RFI11.jpg

RFI10.jpg

RFI15.jpg

RFI13.jpg

RFI18.jpg

RFI17.jpg

RFI14.jpg

RFI16.jpg

RFI19.jpg

RFI21.jpg

RFI20.jpg

RFI22.jpg

Edited by tom271282
  • Like 42

3 years is a long time but it turned out very fine.

Reading your correction/aftermarket list reminded me of what I did on my PR.9 - about 90% the same measures.

With the resin and the nose weight it got so heavy I do not dare to take it to a model show - for fear the main gear legs might collapse if someone slightly bumped into the table.

3 years is a long time but it turned out very fine.

Reading your correction/aftermarket list reminded me of what I did on my PR.9 - about 90% the same measures.

With the resin and the nose weight it got so heavy I do not dare to take it to a model show - for fear the main gear legs might collapse if someone slightly bumped into the table.

I used araldite to fix the main gear in place, which makes it nice and secure. That coupled with brass rods to attach the hubs to the gear makes it stable enough. That said it still weighs a ton!

Thank you for the few kind comments, although I build for myself its also nice to get a modicum of recognition for ones efforts. :winkgrin:

Canberra’s of this time look remarkably shiny and well looked after. Consequently weathering is very light indeed,

I love the sound of that, someone that builds what they see. Brilliant build and this is by far the best scheme (of many) for the PR9...........

Incidentally, having looked at your build thread I noticed your images showing the dreaded Blu tack oil marks - I used to get that also so I decided that one way to resolve that was to Kleer/Gloss over the firsy (Grey) coat and allow to dry before Blu Tacking - works fine that way.

Edited by Gary West

• 2 years later...

Had the pleasure of working on that lady in those colours in the early/mid 80's just before they started changing the colour to that awful hemp with walkways on the wings.  You have done her justice, thank you!  

Ian

Are the black bunched panels on the underwing chaff and flare dispensers? If so, she wouldn't have had them in the mid 80's.  Sorry to say that cos she looks fantastic.

My favourite PR. 9; I was allowed to play with her for an hour or so on one of our CCF annual camps at Wyton.  At the time I think she still wore 39 Squadron's winged bomb emblem on the fin.  You have done her, and those who flew and maintained her and her sisters, proud.  Definitely a good idea filling in those horrible trenches that Airfix covered the kit with.