1/72 Airfix Spitfire Mk.Is in Sextuplicate - Pic Heavy

Enjoying this build very much as always.

Thank you Jim, I'm very glad to hear it - I'm enjoying building them too :)

Excellent, and another reminder of how good the Precision paints enamels look. Where do you source them? Direct from the manufacturers?

And the black & white one looks great, much neater than mine!

Thanks Jon; the Phoenix Precision Paints are, as far as I know, only available from the manufacturer here - as far as the White Ensign Models ColourCoats range went, I think the existing stock was bought up by a company in Aberdeenshire and I think they intend to continue production, but I haven't heard anything about it recently... :hmmm: - I can't remember the name of the company, else I would have a dig around to find out.

As for the black/white underside - I used tape to get a straight line :lol:

I forgot to mention that at TempestWulf's prompting I ordered some SBS resin exhausts - I actually ordered the ones for the Hurricane reasoning that as they were the same exhausts in real life then they would fit the kits just the same... a slightly risky assumption, but... it worked:

DSCN3162.jpg

They're nice. Normally I would fit the exhausts right at the end, but as these come in three pieces per side, I thought it might on balance be easier to fit them now and paint them in situ at the end.

Since I was putting an order in anyway, and given that the 72 Squadron Spitfire wore night-flying 'Blinkers', I added these to my order... and they came out okay too:

DSCN3165.jpg

... and finally, because it's a bit early for bed, I unmasked the wheels:

DSCN3164.jpg

I'm happy with how they turned out too. I did notice in the picture that the wing-root fillet could do with a bit of a tidy, so I mention it now in order to remind myself in the morning because I think I have done enough for the day yawn.gif

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 7

They look very tidy. I'm very tempted to get my one out when I get home and have a go at it.

Duncan B (yes I do realise that Ced will probably be sniggering uncontrollably in the background)

• Like 5

Stew, beautiful work! Love the exhausts good shout TW.

Paint work is as great and neat as always love the eau due nil undersides (not too far off the shade I have from tamyia for sky!)

Very excited about seeing how these turn out stew... Is that odd

Rob

• Like 1

Nice pipes Stew (fnaar fnaar) and those tyres look spot on - top tip!

Thank you very much Ced, the Eduard hub masks were handy but not really necessary as the kit hubs are very nicely defined and would not have been too much of a challenge to paint by hand... but you know me, if there's an easy way about something I'll be on it like stink on a monkey :lol:

Looking good sir. Almost ready for A flight to scramble.

Thank you Jon, still a few days worth of work to do though, but so far so good :D

Great work there Stew, you've motivated me to build another one myself. The hurricane exhausts look great.

Ah that's great news TW, and thanks for the tip about the exhausts, they look pretty good and weren't ever so expensive :D

They look very tidy. I'm very tempted to get my one out when I get home and have a go at it.

Duncan B (yes I do realise that Ced will probably be sniggering uncontrollably in the background)

Artists impression:

22602d1295542565-sleeping-under-full-moo

fnaar fnaar...

Edit: Apologies Duncan, Dbl-E score 1. Credit where credit's due!

... as suspected :lol:

Really interesting to see your build of these Spittys. I glued my propeller on and feel a bit bad that it doesn't spin. :)

I love phoenix paints. Used them to do a bit of N Gauge railway modelling. They can also be bought here: http://fox-transfers.co.uk/paint

Best wishes

Danyel

Hi Danyel, thanks very much - it's not bad if you glue it on purpose, but mine was stuck by accident... I have brought shame upon myself :weep::D

Stew, beautiful work! Love the exhausts good shout TW.

Paint work is as great and neat as always love the eau due nil undersides (not too far off the shade I have from tamyia for sky!)

Very excited about seeing how these turn out stew... Is that odd

Rob

Rob mate, who can say what is odd given what passes for normal around here? Still, if it is odd, then both of us are odd as I am quite looking forward to seeing how they finish up too :lol:

Thanks for your attention gentlemen, I am ready to begin masking the undersides now... heureux.25.gif

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

I do apologise Ced, that was exactly the picture that came into my head* on reading Duncan's comment...

So I set about masking the undersides, which is refreshingly straightforward on a Spitfire, especially one on which you have had the foresight to remove the landing gear, radiator and oil cooler :D...

DSCN3168.jpg

...consequently the spraying of the Dark Earth was done before I had really considered doing it :huh: :

DSCN3174.jpg

I love Phoenix Precision Paints and I am contractually obliged to point this out every time I use them ^_^. As I had thinned the Dark Earth with Cellulose it dried pretty quickly and I was able to make a start on brush-painting the first coat of the disruptive Dark Green pattern:

DSCN3175.jpg

... which is about where I am now; all the wings and one of the fuselages done, hopefully I will do the remaining two fuselages' first coats before the end of the day.

Cheers,

Stew

* Oh my god no

• Like 6

They look real purdy!

I do apologise Ced, that was exactly the picture that came into my head* on reading Duncan's comment...

* Oh my god no

Apology accepted, of course. :)

"* Oh my god no". :coolio: Keep it clean Stew**

** fnaar fnaar

• Like 1

Stew, the Phoenix Precision Dark Earth looks so good that you should probably be getting some sort of sponsorship or promotional deal from them. Then you could use your clout to get them to start exporting to the states.

Is the Dark Green also Phoenix, or is it an acrylic?

• Like 2

Stew, the Phoenix Precision Dark Earth looks so good that you should probably be getting some sort of sponsorship or promotional deal from them.

Seriously. I'm wondering how many I can fit in my luggage if I burn my clothes when I leave the UK.

• Like 4

Don't worry stew will have some underground contacts 5hat can smuggle some in via Canada for you.... Oh bugger sorry stew I was supposed to keep that quiet...

They are looking finer by the post stew (which I suppose is the point) so far though I would say the one with the night fighter covers just pips it. Crack on

Rob

• Like 1

I actually choked on my Dr. Pepper at this. Wait, did I just...no. No. No!

Noooo, you'll start him off again :analintruder:

Looking good Stew. You seem to organise your daily modelling schedule very well?

Thanks very much Jim; I'm not really well organised by nature, but I am currently unemployed which whilst an undesirable situation in many respects does allow sufficient spare time to dedicate to ones hobbies... until Monday anyway, as I have been offered and accepted a position as what appears to be basically a meat shield between a major supermarket and its irate customers, starting next week :lol:

bloody hell your quick! nice progress mate, look forward to more :goodjob:

Thanks mate, nice to have you along :)

Stew, the Phoenix Precision Dark Earth looks so good that you should probably be getting some sort of sponsorship or promotional deal from them. Then you could use your clout to get them to start exporting to the states.

Is the Dark Green also Phoenix, or is it an acrylic?

The way I see it Cookie is if my builds put some business their way then they will carry on making these paints and next time I need to buy some they will still be available; however I would be happy for them to export any surplus stock to the US - as long as it does not interfere with domestic consumption :lol: - the Dark Green and Sky are both Phoenix, after my Disastrous Failed Experiment with Acrylics (of which, come to think of it, I vowed never to refer again) I swore by all that I held dear and holy that I would not stray from the path of enamel righteousness again :pray:

Don't worry stew will have some underground contacts 5hat can smuggle some in via Canada for you.... Oh bugger sorry stew I was supposed to keep that quiet...

They are looking finer by the post stew (which I suppose is the point) so far though I would say the one with the night fighter covers just pips it. Crack on

Rob

No Rob, that was the Crystal Meth operation, and we were not supposed to talk about it, remember? Oh... :undecided:

but do they do Eau de Nil?

Love the formations, I think it's the first time I've seen an inverted echelon.

Keep up the good work

John

Thanks John; the Eau de Nil is from the now-defunct White Ensign Models Colourcoats range, but the paint range has been taken over by Sovereign Hobbies of Aberdeenshire - however the EdN is not shown on the current stocks, but I suspect there could be some in storage...

As for inverted echelon displays, I bet they used to do it all the time at the Hendon Air Pageants :D

Crikey, I nearly forgot my progress shot, but first... my painting all day bores the dog:

DSCN3182.jpg

... but I got the first Dark Green coat completed:

DSCN3179.jpg

I always make the first coat very watery... well, thinnery, you know what I mean... as it just marks out the outlines and provides a base for the next layer, it means I don't have to really concentrate on where the paint goes for the second coat so makes for a more relaxing experience and if done carefully can produce a very fine 'soft' demarcation between the colours. For a while I started using vinyl camouflage masks which are quick and efficient and very effective at reproducing the same pattern more than once, but it removes or at least distances you from the process a bit and you definitely lose some of the pleasure that way.

I might start the second coat tomorrow, I am hoping to go to the Scottish National Model Show at Perth though, so I might leave it until Sunday...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 10

Enamels, hmmm... tempting.

Right, concentrate!

"I actually choked on my Dr. Pepper" almost...

"...basically a meat shield..." no, that's not one... but congrats on the new post Stew!

Paint... interfere with... stray from the... come on Ced, get a grip (ooh, there's one!)

Awww, Jack, he's so cute!

"...first coat watery..."

"... relaxing experience..."

"... lose some of the pleasure..."

Can't find a single one - damn that Dentist and his anaesthetic!

Nice camo Stew, as usual - what a modeller!

Edit: 'on the new post'

• Like 2

Love Jack's expression, is that what they call a hang dog look?

Spits are looking splendid sir. I am very very seriously thinking about getting a set of Precision's paint to try, I used their railway range for years (although I could never get Rail Blue to cover well) but acrylic began to win out for speed of drying time, which was even more important at shows where, if you are demonstrating, it is useful especially to be able to handle the workpiece swiftly. (Note how skilfully I avoid saying handle my piece to avoid Ced snorting his pint by mistake!)

However, it is the coarseness of the Humbrol acrylics which are putting me off. I have a Large box of ignored Humbrol enamels in the loft, it may be due a revisit. Also, I know from past experience that Revell enamels, particularly the Matt ones, are easily the equal of their acrylics for consistent usability.

• Like 2